Talk

Advanced search

Quantity vs quality

(7 Posts)
Soubriquet Sat 24-Sep-16 15:06:43

My mum and nan have a bad habit when it comes to buying presents

They seem to prefer to buy as many presents as they can within a budget instead of one or two decent gifts

This means by the end of Christmas most of it is in the bin because it's so flimsy and crap that it's broke

Why do people do this?

EmGee Sat 24-Sep-16 15:31:44

I suppose it's because they think 'more is better'. And in today's society - more presents = more love. (Which is rubbish of course). Is there any way you can 'influence' what they buy your DC e.g. Amazon wish lists? My sister has a 10yo DS and buys all of his presents on behalf of us, and then we give her the money. She would much rather this system as her DS can be tricky to buy for. Win win situation for all involved!

Soubriquet Sat 24-Sep-16 15:45:22

Tried that last year

When mum asked what 3 year old dd would like for Christmas, I said she would love a kitchen and I showed her a couple of decent ones. Not expensive but ones that wouldn't fall apart

She got the kitchen alright. A flimsy plastic peppa pig kitchen that my 1 year old pulled apart everyday. Had to throw it in the end

Getting her a nice wooden one this year

SpringerS Sat 24-Sep-16 16:11:57

If they like bargain shopping could you aim them towards nice secondhand stuff? I set a rough budget for my DS' gifts but then buy secondhand as I'd rather get him 3 or 4 things for the price of 1. That way he gets lots and it's all great quality but I've not spent over my budget.

Soubriquet Sat 24-Sep-16 16:13:04

No chance

They don't do charity shops. They will do cheap tat or knock off products as long as it's brand new but won't do second hand products..

seven201 Sat 24-Sep-16 16:13:27

My in laws are like this. Not found a solution yet, sorry!

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Sat 24-Sep-16 16:38:44

Rather than saying a kitchen I would say she would love a playmobil hospital set, a baby born and some dolls clothes. If you are super specific but maybe give 5 options then suggest something like dolls clothes where they can buy cheap but in quantity. I'm a bit like it myself to be honest. I love things like pretty primark socks or a new hot water bottle but then like a few big presents. I'm still like a child and love unwrapping blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now