I'm nearly finished!

(22 Posts)
BowiesBlueEye Fri 23-Sep-16 14:34:43

Only have a few things to pick up now. I can't wait to start wrapping grin

DC don't have a lot this year but I sorted out all of the brown boxes and bags and it's quite a decent set of piles. No big ticket items this year just things I know they will love.

anyoldname76 Fri 23-Sep-16 17:22:03

ive just paid my last lot to park so as soon as my vouchers come ill be getting everything, im not going to make the same mistake as last year though, everything will be wrapped as soon as its in the house

BowiesBlueEye Fri 23-Sep-16 18:39:41

Did you wrap on Xmas eve last year?

I wrapped as I went along last year and felt as though I was missing out nearer the time. Talk me out of Xmas eve wrapping!

BowiesBlueEye Fri 23-Sep-16 18:40:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BowiesBlueEye Fri 23-Sep-16 18:41:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BowiesBlueEye Fri 23-Sep-16 18:43:08

Reported multiple posts blush

Lovewatchingrainfall Fri 23-Sep-16 18:47:40

I tend to start wrapping the week before Christmas I do one person a night, however this year will be different due to expecting a baby close to Christmas.

I managed to get the last of the toddlers stocking presents it's now just a few little bits and toddlers present from Santa when I know what on earth it is

Christobel51 Fri 23-Sep-16 18:48:25

Gosh, you are organised! I've got a Daughter with a Nov birthday and a son with a December birthday and another daughter so I've made a good start but I'm nowhere near finished!
I think I will wrap as a I go along as it saves it being a stressful chore near the time. I'm sure I'll still be wrapping a few things on Christmas Eve!

Fromsqualorwithlove Fri 23-Sep-16 19:05:19

I'm also nearly finished. I hope so anyway because I've run out of money grin

One DC has a birthday in November and the other in January so I've just been buying presents for the last few months and now I'll have to decide when to give everything.

I also keep a present box for adults and that's full so I'll spend an evening going through it all and deciding who to give things to.

The only thing I haven't finished getting is little stocking fillers.

BowiesBlueEye Fri 23-Sep-16 19:24:09

It's the blinking stocking fillers I need to get too. I always buy plastic tat but they end up broken or not played with. I've already got a few bits...a book each, dan TDM plushes, a minions coin purse for ds2 and a small Lego box for ds1.

We have decided not to do adults this year (we have told our siblings so there's no awkwardness). The present box is a great idea for next year. Do you fill it up throughout the year?

BowiesBlueEye Fri 23-Sep-16 19:26:30

Oh and I have ds2's birthday end of October and mine end of November. DH has had a big op and off work so thought I'd make a start! I will probably make a day of shopping in town a week before Xmas for little bits and for my nan.

anyoldname76 Fri 23-Sep-16 22:41:27

me, dh and one of my friends wrapped everything about 2 days before Christmas last year, it was stressful, i want everything bought and wrapped before December this year, so i can enjoy the run up.

Wayfarersonbaby Sat 24-Sep-16 00:45:18

I've done pretty much everything on extended family and friends presents: only have a couple of people left to cover (like nursery staff which I'll do nearer the time). Have got some things for MIL and a lot of smaller stuff for DD: I've one or two small things in mind for her that I'll wait until closer to Christmas to get, plus a big present from Santa (likely to be Magformers or Playmags but I don't want to get it too early, as last year DD changed what she wanted from Santa very late on!)

That just leaves DH, who will get a token present plus something we both like and have agreed on, like a print for the house grin

I have all the stocking fillers and some small things for presents for friends' toddlers, which is a nice job to sort and wrap nearer the time.

Quite pleased with myself so far, but I would like to get it pretty much completely finished - otherwise I always end up rushing to finish things at the last moment, and I really want us to have a low-key relaxed Christmas this year!

WhatTheActualFugg Sat 24-Sep-16 01:00:30

Don't you all miss buying the lovely Christmassy stuff that comes out October onwards? How do you stop yourselves buying double? (Being tempted by the Christmas windows when you're already done)? Do you lose track of what you've bought? Or just lose stuff?

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Sat 24-Sep-16 09:10:36

I don't like to wrap before December because it's a Christmassy thing to do and puts me in the festive mood. I've nearly finished DS which is very dangerous because I am likely to just keep buying. What I should have done is bought for family, then DH then DS last. I'm going to try and be strong because he has enough lovely presents and will get lots from others (who will all want ideas)

Fromsqualorwithlove Sat 24-Sep-16 09:41:59

I don't wrap things too early either. I'm not sure what will be a birthday or Christmas present and it's a job I like to do with DH so not everything's a total surprise to him too hmm

I have two young children so I very rarely go to actual shops so I don't really see shop windows anymore. I do one trip in December where we go somewhere with decorations and we each choose a new thing for the tree.

My present box is used all year, not just for Christmas. Whenever I see something suitable in the sales I add it to the pile! I tend to go for classics like White Company candles, beautiful sets of classic books, little dishes etc. This year, on holiday, I found some gorgeous cotton scarves/wraps that were only €6 so I got a few of those.

NapQueen Sat 24-Sep-16 09:44:17

Both ds and dd have birthdays close to Christmas so I've nearly finished shopping for them both. I use an app to keep track.

At some point next month I'll get all the gifts on the bed and split them into birthday and Xmas and will wrap all the birthday stuff for both and take them to my folks.

Christmas wrapping has to be done in front of the tree and with a festive film on so that will wait till December.

BowiesBlueEye Sat 24-Sep-16 10:28:13

Well now you've all made me want to do the wrapping in front of a Xmas film with a class of cava, mince pies and generally having a cosy, festive time with DH.

The reality will be me getting pissed off with the sellotape, constantly searching for the scissors, swearing at DH for not doing proper corners and pausing every time DC come down for a wee. wink

CakeNinja Sat 24-Sep-16 11:14:51

I haven't even started yet!
Have a huge family, I think we buy for around 45 people, Nieces, nephews, godchildren, both dps parents and mine are divorced and remarried so ridiculous sets of grandparents, step children and the like.
We don't buy for our own siblings any more though.
I go to the actual shops on one Saturday at the beginning of December (2 of my DC have November birthdays) And the rest is done over a couple of evenings online.
I wrap over a week or so, evenings when the kids are asleep, usually wrap their stockings the night before.

BowiesBlueEye Sat 24-Sep-16 12:21:38

I've taken photos of the piles so I can remind myself what they have when the twitch hits.

Last year they had so much it was overwhelming for them and months later there were presents still unopened. confused

BowiesBlueEye Sat 24-Sep-16 12:24:06

FromSqualor I'm absolutely stealing your present box idea. It will mean we can give to the adults in the family without worrying about money.

Wayfarersonbaby Mon 26-Sep-16 22:19:25

I've been checking over my boxes this evening. Am drowning in stocking fillers! shock - still, I know they'll get used at some point. But I promised myself I wouldn't twitch and I did angry blush

I've pretty much finished and wrapped all family presents. Need to get a couple more things for nursery staff (big box of chocs etc.), and then I'll be finished with those. Have started writing my Christmas cards, but it always takes longer than I think it ought to!

I like buying for children, there are so many lovely and inexpensive things out there to look at and decide on, but I feel a bit "meh" about buying for adults nowadays. Used to love doing Christmas shopping and writing cards, but it's all a bit of a chore these days. Looking forward to finishing these off so that I can just focus on DD and enjoying the build-up to Christmas with her. She saw her Christmas teddy out today as I'd been sorting through Christmas boxes and got very excited. And, if possible, she's even more excited by seeing the Hallowe'en displays in the shops! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now