Talk

Advanced search

No BIG present for my kids - feels wrong!

(15 Posts)
giraffesarefab Fri 23-Sep-16 13:26:56

Tell me that I'm an idiot! Ds1 (10) got an Xbox 360 2 years ago (it was 2nd hand) then I won an ipad mini in a competition so that was his 'big' present last year, he got a bike for his birthday and he bought a wii u with his birthday money (again, 2nd hand) so he doesn't need anything big.
He is putting a list together of wii u games, some minecraft bits, a remote controlled car, books and a few other bits.

Ds2 is 5 and has autism, hes just had his birthday and has lots of stuff from Ds1. He's getting a leapfrog learning system, cars, dinosaurs, an air hockey game and others bits but again, nothing 'big' - please tell me that it doesn't matter and I'm an loon!

I know they will get stuff they want or have asked for but there's no "wow" present

I need a grip confused

Artandco Fri 23-Sep-16 13:29:17

That sound alike a lot of stuff and includes main items to me ie a remote control car would be the main gift here with just a stocking alongside. One gift here and stocking

I8toys Fri 23-Sep-16 13:29:58

Same here this year. They have ipads, an xbox, ps3, wii U and Xbox 360. We usually combine funds with grandparents and buy a console but they have everything. I think we will get them an experience again- eldest got top gear driving and youngest was a zookeeper at Chessington for last year's present.

cheapandcheerful Fri 23-Sep-16 13:32:53

My dd will be getting a stocking and her present from us will probably be ballet shoes blush

OvO Fri 23-Sep-16 13:37:41

Similar here - the 11 year old is getting a big present but it's joint with his birthday (which is in November) and he's getting it on his birthday rather than Christmas. So he'll have only a few token presents to open. <sadface>

The 8 year old hasn't asked for anything 'big' and I can't think of anything.

Feels a bit odd but I don't think they'll even notice.

WatchMeSoar Fri 23-Sep-16 13:38:12

I don't buy big presents at Christmas, I have a big family and things like Xbox or PlayStation are bought for birthdays.
They do well enough.

HungryHorace Fri 23-Sep-16 13:53:37

We do big gifts for birthdays and Christmas is a collection of smaller bits, totalling about £60 each (they're 2 and 3 this year).

DiegeticMuch Fri 23-Sep-16 14:15:38

It's fine. That's generous.

I have very happy memories of childhood Christmases and the only "big" presents were a bike when I was 8 and a computer when I was 13. I liked board games and music albums best, and toiletries/annuals when I was 12+. Didn't like getting clothes!

anyoldname76 Fri 23-Sep-16 17:17:50

same here really, theyve already got an xbox 360, both got bikes and scooters. last year they had tablets, this year i am thinking of getting the anki race track as a joint present as well as their own presents

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Fri 23-Sep-16 19:14:17

I can't think of a big wow present for our DS nearly 3. I'm going to buy him to playmobil rocket which is £40 but will look exciting all set up. Just last year he got a train table and set, giant teddy and fire engine desk and chair along with usual presents. It's silly to buy for the sake of it though.

hoolahoola Mon 10-Oct-16 17:04:46

I never had 'big' presents at Christmas growing up (only birthdays) and neither do my DC. I remember going into school when everyone was getting games consoles (gameboys, wii, etc) and suchlike and saying "my favourite gift was a teapot, oh or my umbrella". Everyone thought I was mad but I never felt left out.

Don't worry about it!

ThanksForAllTheFish Tue 11-Oct-16 10:29:55

Your ideas sound fine to me. DD is nearly 7 and she knows some years she will get a big gift (such as an iPad mini) from Santa but other years she will get a smaller gift. She was taking about asking for a laptop (no chance!) but knows that Santa wouldn't bring her a big expensive gadget this year as she got one last year. In her own words 'it's someone else's turn' this year to get a big gadgety gift from Santa.

She might get a hatchimal this year as the only toy she's really asking Santa for costs less than £10. She's been interested in the hatchimal but doesn't think she would get one as in her eyes it's a big expensive gift.

Your son is 10 so I suspect he will have a good understanding that a few Wii U games, remote control car, minecraft stuff etc all add up to the same as one bigger gift.

Blueisthemagicnumber Tue 11-Oct-16 11:42:11

I do the same thing, and actually buy stuff for the sake of it crappy stocking fillers but my 2 ds 13 and 10 actually need nothing. They would love an IPad each, but they are not getting one! This year they are getting a shared second hand XBox One, and will get games to go with it.

KingLooieCatz Tue 11-Oct-16 13:14:58

We can all probably think of the times children hardly touched the big ticket items and had fond memories of the pound shop stocking fillers. I do search for perfect gifts and DH finds "Pinchy" the decorative lobster in a bargain bin. It is "Pinchy" that DS wants to cuddle when he goes to bed. "Pinchy" was a huge hit. The year before DS was very proud to tell the other Beavers, who all seemed to get consoles and phones, that he had got a big pack of colouring pens for Christmas. Those pens are in daily use to this day. Unless they are ask desperate for something that you're confident will get used a lot, I think it's the little things that make Christmas special.

MiscellaneousAssortment Tue 11-Oct-16 16:06:34

Gosh I find it hard to keep the presents down at Christmas.

It's like some kind of arms race!

I think it's because I lack confidence that DS will like my presents and feel it's special enough, so I keep on buying... Which I know isn't a good idea, and I know DS has more fun when there are less presents.

Argh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now