Talk

Advanced search

Low budget ideas for people who have big budgets

(20 Posts)
AnneGables Fri 23-Sep-16 12:58:52

We all have a few of these people to buy for I'm sure, please share your best ideas with me. My budget is less than £20 for a friend who buys the best of everything, I just can't think what to get her that she would still like (e.g. she just uses Jo Malone products, expensive hair and make up, designer clothes).

mouldycheesefan Fri 23-Sep-16 13:05:20

Will you be seeing her? As I think a beautiful Xmas bouquet of flowers or a lovely wreath are good presents. I make my own wreaths and arrangements but you csn get a lovely bouquet of Xmas flowers for £20.
Otherwise leather gloves from John Lewis.
Hotel chocolat chocolates.
Champagne

Are all nice gifts for £20

Fromsqualorwithlove Fri 23-Sep-16 13:07:50

I'm joining this thread in the hope that someone comes along with some good ideas.

One thing I'm doing for a few people this year is putting together 'kits' relating to their hobby.

For example, DH has got a new bbq so I've found a book of recipes, some spice rubs, some gloves and a bottle of bbq sauce. All this has come to £14 because these things are on sale at the moment.

A friend is a keen gardener so I've collected packets of seeds, plant labels, twine and a dibber and I'm going to put it all in a little trug. All in has cost about £18.

Hope that helps give you a few ideas.

HairsprayBabe Fri 23-Sep-16 13:10:27

You can get some niace fancy candles Jo Malone etc in TKMaxx for a decent price, same goes for beauty stuff. Or you could try an independant shop or market where stuff will be unbranded in budget but high quality, very artisan!

If she is a good friend she will know you are hard up, it's the thought that counts so don't panic about spending big bucks that you dont have!

everdene Fri 23-Sep-16 13:13:50

What about something simple but very luxurious - giant coloured matches in a jar
((http://www.alliumuk.com/products/archivist-striped-jar-of-matches))
(Sorry if link doesn't work!)

With a tiny scented votive candle, all beautifully wrapped.

AnneGables Fri 23-Sep-16 13:15:26

Thanks, loving all of these ideas. I have made a note of them all, sure they will come in useful for lots of people.

She doesn't mind at all what I spend, I just want to make sure its spent wisely on something she would actually like.

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 23-Sep-16 13:21:06

Some nic jewellery from a second hand antique shop.

JasperDamerel Fri 23-Sep-16 22:26:01

A book, nice wine or chocolate, luxury socks, really good olive oil or similar foodie good stuff from a nice deli, good hand cream, a beautiful notebook...

Jaimx86 Fri 23-Sep-16 22:36:07

TK Maxx. They have Kenneth Cole candles online at the mo £8. RRP £30+

Jaimx86 Fri 23-Sep-16 22:37:27

I meant Kenneth Turner.

ShesAStar Fri 23-Sep-16 23:07:09

KennethTurner candles are amazing! I stock up every time I go to TK Max. The rose one is beautiful.

Oh2beatsea Fri 23-Sep-16 23:34:07

What about a voucher for Afternoon tea in a lovely hotel?

OhTheRoses Fri 23-Sep-16 23:41:16

I would love:

Luxury socks
Bubble bath
Gloves
Pretty umbrella
Nice notebooks
Witty coconut mat
Mugs
Naice things sold in garden centres
Voucher for plants for a window box
Cookery book
Make up bag
Season ticket holder
Nice pen
Chocolates
Nice tea

Would be happy with all manner of things

botemp Sat 24-Sep-16 00:03:12

Ok, I'm one of those people. Have want for little with quite specific tastes and by my own admittance a nightmare to gift to as it's so hard to get 'right'. I appreciate gifts immensely for the gesture but genuinely I'd be happiest with a donation on my behalf so a family in a third world country gets a goat, or a girl's education is paid for a year, a local family get to have Christmas dinner, etc. I'm aware not everyone likes giving and receiving those but honestly that would make me the happiest.

Flowers are great anytime of year but at Christmas it's likely the house is already full of them. The same goes for food and drink items. Would still appreciate them regardless.

I think something small from Aromatherapy Associates might do the trick for your friend, they have lovely small Christmas specials that encapsulate a bit of luxury without bankrupting you. It's more mood driven rather than scent so you're less likely to misjudge. You should be able to source it online with a bit of a discount. Try feelunique or lookfantastic, the latter always has a 15% code on and free shipping. Be warned it is all rather tiny. A quick browse on ebay also brought up plenty of offerings.

If she's not snobby about brand names and you know her scent tastes and she appreciates a high quality bargain, the Zara Home scented candles are as good, if not better, than some of the more reputable brands imho. You can get a rather large one for just under £20 that fills up the room with a wonderful scent and is made with 100% vegetable wax, most of the high end brands can't even boast that.

A bit over budget, but if she likes her Jo Malone candles she'll love the Jo Malone Wick Trimmer if she doesn't already have it. Makes the candles burn better and last longer.

If she has a pet she adores, buy something for them. Guaranteed win.

AnneGables Sat 24-Sep-16 10:36:23

Even more great ideas, thank you so much. I will have a nice afternoon of browsing all these lovely things now, thank you.

CakeNinja Sat 24-Sep-16 11:07:52

I'm this person!
I would appreciate a nice candle, bottle of flavoured vodka, posh chocolates, basically consumables. Something I can use and that isn't going to end up on a shelf somewhere for years.

AmyAmoeba Sat 24-Sep-16 21:19:59

Great thread, I'm taking lots of notes!

OhTheRoses Sat 24-Sep-16 21:45:07

And if I knew my friend was skint I'd be happy with something beautifully wrapped that cost £1.50, like a hanky or a bar of chocolate and I'd much prefer my friend to have a treat.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 25-Sep-16 10:34:16

I think there is scope for a homemade gift, if you have the skills! I have a friend who was really skint one Christmas but made the most beautiful appliqué cushions for kids. If you had bout on NOTHS would have cost a bomb but cost her v little as mainly used bits and bobs she already had. Likewise she also once gave me the most gorgeous chunky knit scarf. I loved it a) because it was gorgeous, b) it had been made just for me, favourite colour, style etc and c) I could appreciate the man hours that went into it. Of course these things only work if you have that sort of crafty streak, had I have made any of these the result would have been laughable. I have however given a few edible treats, mainly cakes, biscuits, mince pies, when invited to events over the Xmas period but see no reason why they couldn't be given as gifts.

Polkadot1974 Mon 26-Sep-16 20:50:31

Love this thread. Great ideas. I was going to say a photo of you both in frame?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now