Talk

Advanced search

Do I accept invitations or just stay alone?

(158 Posts)
whistlingtea Sat 10-Sep-16 00:33:28

I'm used to spending Christmas alone, I have since 2000 with only four exceptions, but I thought this one might be different but it won't be due to DPs work.

I've politely declined invitations in the past as its so uncomfortable being in someone's home at an intimate time but this year I don't want to be alone. But I still feel uncomfortable being in someone's home.

So - any suggestions? grin

HungryHorace Sat 10-Sep-16 00:39:29

Invite people to you?

whistlingtea Sat 10-Sep-16 00:42:25

Well, they obviously aren't going to do that!

ImperialBlether Sat 10-Sep-16 00:44:33

What hours does your DP work on Christmas day? Do you live near family? Do you have children together?

danTDM Sat 10-Sep-16 00:52:40

stay alone then. IT's a day.

whistlingtea Sat 10-Sep-16 00:53:28

I have no family, and we don't have children or currently live together.

He works in the church so obviously Christmas is busy!

elephantoverthehill Sat 10-Sep-16 00:59:13

Accept all the invitations you can and do a Vicar of Dibley Christmas special. Your partner can meet you at the last one and roll you down the hill. grin

ImperialBlether Sat 10-Sep-16 00:59:41

But surely he doesn't work after 12 noon on Christmas Day, then?

VioletBam Sat 10-Sep-16 01:01:30

Imperial he may be volunterring at shelters etc.

OP if you feel uncomfortable in other people's homes but are happy to be alone otherwise, then carry on!

If you don't, why don't you volunteer at a shelter?

danTDM Sat 10-Sep-16 01:01:50

You will be a spare part, as you fear, so stay in on your own.
It really isn't or shouldn't be a big deal as an adult. Unless you are needy.

ImperialBlether Sat 10-Sep-16 01:07:26

Not many married vicars volunteer at shelters.

VioletBam Sat 10-Sep-16 01:10:14

Imperial that's a sweeping statement. And it's irrelevant. OP says his work means he's not there at Christmas so why not just accept what she says instead of questioning it?

VioletBam Sat 10-Sep-16 01:10:48

Also she didn't say he was a Vicar did she? She said "he works in the church"

HungryHorace Sat 10-Sep-16 01:11:18

If you're not happy going to them but they won't (are you sure, or are you assuming this) come to you, then you'll have to be alone. Your choice really!

whistlingtea Sat 10-Sep-16 06:50:38

We're not married and he's not a vicar.

Hungry would you really be happy bringing your kids and husband over to a friends place on Christmas Day? Or would you prefer to be in your own home?

I don't think I'm needy just wondering what to do!

OneEpisode Sat 10-Sep-16 06:57:14

You've been invited because they want your company. They maybe want to have a bigger meal (maybe for instance they'd be able to buy a proper big turkey instead of the smaller joint if it was just them). If you want to go, go. And arrange what you'll be bringing.

whistlingtea Sat 10-Sep-16 06:58:41

Honestly One that's not why you tend to get Christmas invitations. But anyway it's not that. It's that you're imposing in on someone else's family during a very intimate time and that's uncomfortable!

Artandco Sat 10-Sep-16 07:00:50

Of course people are happy to go to friends and others happy to have them, otherwise people wouldn't invite them

If people are inviting you then it's your choice to go or stay at home

BikeRunSki Sat 10-Sep-16 07:01:41

Volunteer for Crisis, or a similar organisation. I plan to do this when my DC are older.

Artandco Sat 10-Sep-16 07:01:46

I don't see Christmas as an intimate time, it's just a day off with food for us and a few gifts. Anyone's free to join

MrsMillions Sat 10-Sep-16 07:03:34

Might you get invitations from people who have invited more than just you? I could imagine that might feel less of an imposition, as you're not the one doing the imposing, IYSWIM.

OneEpisode Sat 10-Sep-16 07:05:23

Why do you think you are being invited then?
My parents have no dc in the house Christmas Day (my dc are SN and it's too much grief to travel that day). DPs always invite others. They choose people who they think are compatible, and enjoy tasting someone else's pudding and sharing their own recipes...

whistlingtea Sat 10-Sep-16 07:05:34

Ideally I would, Mrs but I don't think many others are invited - most people have their own homes to go to! Art I guess that's it, maybe it's not an intimate time to you or doesn't feel like it but is still a time for you and your family and I do feel awkward imposing on that. It's quite hard to explain unless you have been in that position I think.

PotteringAlong Sat 10-Sep-16 07:06:15

You won't be imposing! We always have people not part of our family for Christmas dinner who would be alone otherwise and it's great! Go! The more the merrier!

phillipp Sat 10-Sep-16 07:06:53

Christmas is not intimate at our house, or in any of my family.

It's a free for all, really.

Last year our neighbours wife left him. On Christmas morning dh saw him and it turned out his son was with his wife for Christmas. So we invited him round, he spent the day with us and my parents. No one batted an eyelid.

When I lived at home with mum and dad, we have had all sorts of people join us for Christmas Day. Singles, couples, family.

It's the one day of the year I enjoy being squashed in while we eat.

My neighbour has his son this year and if they are on their own, we will have them over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now