Talk

Advanced search

The guy who wants for nothing?!

(14 Posts)
almamatters Fri 09-Sep-16 09:12:44

So DP (our first Christmas together) earns significantly more money than me, we're talking happy to support me and children as sole earner type money, if he wants something (and he doesn't want much) he will buy it for himself. I have absolutely no idea what to get him for Christmas confused

It's actually upsetting me. I love the gift giving part of Christmas and I am already stressed thinking about, he has no specific interests or hobbies that I can focus on although he does have a strange love of beer pong hmm

So here I am, begging the experts for some much needed help!!

NoCapes Fri 09-Sep-16 09:41:45

Beer pong table and set of cups?

FinallyHere Fri 09-Sep-16 10:26:12

Oh, the whole 'presents' thing. DH really likes presents, equating them with love. I know lots of people think this way, but I think of a present as something for people, hopefully children, how need to be given things because they don't yet have their own resources. It is a badge of honour for me, that if i want something, ill buy it. So presents don't mean love to me. Doing things together does it for me.

It might be worth a talk, to see how he feels about it. You are looking for 'things he needs'. He may have everything he needs already, with you, so doesn't want you to give more pointless stuff.

DH is now trained to buy me things which refer to things we have enjoyed, say wine from an area we have visited or with a year that has a meaning for us. Family know not to buy me anything 'that needs dusting'. Hope you find what works for you both.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Fri 09-Sep-16 10:32:28

How about accessories or additions to something he already has. Eg if he has a nice watch, maybe a storage box or watch winder. Does he travel? Luggage accessories/washbag etc.
Or a subscription or membership? Something you can both enjoy.

Chelazla Fri 09-Sep-16 10:36:05

What about giving him a 'day'? So get up let him lie in, make him a nice breakfast just spoil him! Last Father's Day we and another family took dads to footgolf! It was quite cheap actually but really fun and something he loved loads more than the traditional meal in restaurant that would have been loads more costly! Doesn't have to be about money!! Maybe as a stocking gift kids could make him vouchers?? Entitled to one night off the washing up for example???

Chelazla Fri 09-Sep-16 10:36:42

The beer pong table does look v fun though!!!

islurpmyspaghetti Fri 09-Sep-16 10:37:35

Oh, well said, FinallyHere. I agree with what you say. Friend of mine was in a similar position to you, OP, wanting to buy nice gift for a new DP. We discussed for a while and she ended up buying him a few things that linked to nice moments from their relationship so far (Brighton Rock for a weekend in Brighton, that kind of thing) and he really loved the thoughtfulness of it. I genuinely don't think you need to spend a fortune on presents for them to be well received.

RJnomore1 Fri 09-Sep-16 10:38:07

Voucher for an overnight in a nice hotel

Luxury scarf or wallet

You in a bow?

MiddleClassProblem Fri 09-Sep-16 10:43:41

Tickets? Or go old skool and make him a mixed cd

A meal at a restaurant he has wanted to go to?

A night in a hotel

Vouchers for something he loves to do

Cooking classes if he likes that or other experiences

Something personalised for work

If he likes to travel you could get him one of those scratch off maps to show where he's been and help plan trips

Subscriptions, they can be anything from monthly booze to food kits or even beauty stuff through the door or even a magazine subscription (I did empire magazine for DH once)

almamatters Fri 09-Sep-16 11:43:26

That beer pong table is amazing and he doesn't actually have a good "area" for it in his newest flat so that might be a winner!! Il have a look into all these ideas girls thanks very much. smile

FinallyHere Fri 09-Sep-16 13:14:53

Hat tip to RJyounomore1 for 'you in a bow '. On year, a bowl of strawberries and a can of squirty creme served on me was pretty popular, too.

Soon2bC Fri 09-Sep-16 13:42:00

This is my new find for the perfect gift for anyone who travels! elcaminobracelets.com/

My OH wants 'nothing' but this is perfect. It is a bracelet suitable for both sexes and you collect beads inscribed with names of places they have been. I have just ordered 2 city beads for places we went together and one country one for where she went alone. You can even add personalised ones. This will be a gift that keeps on giving for birthdays and christmas!

Other than that I was at a loss as requests are stuff like a shirt for work or some work shoes which I would rather ask family to buy.

Chocolateteabag Sun 11-Sep-16 15:35:39

How about tickets for something? - Comedy show or something similar?
Maybe Airbnb weekend next August for Edinburgh fringe?

Or lesson for something he's never tried? Sausage making/wine tasting/clay pigeon shooting?

DH is one of these "needs nothing" type people - if he wants something he just gets it and even then he rarely needs anything. I'm looking out for tickets for something missed out on Greg Davies which would have been perfect

Dailymailisacrapnewspaper Sun 11-Sep-16 17:25:07

Honestly don't get him anything. My DH and I have everything that we need and can but what we want whenever we want it. I don't mean that to sound snotty- I am just being honest. My DH will spend 6 months finding the perfect scarf or wallet for example.

I really resent the tat/novelty items that we get given at Christmas because we say time and time again no gifts. I resent them because I would rather that the giver kept their cash and spent it on something useful for themselves. I hate waste of both money and resources. They all just get put in a box and sold once a year when we do a giant car boot sale for a charity that we both support.

That said if he like beer pong then a set from your children would be ok. How old are the children? Not sure a 2.4m long table that needs storage is the best option though. Is he minimalist or a clutter person?

If you want to buy something then a joint experience of trip of some kind?

If he drinks real beers then the beer hawk company (where people have been buying advent calendars) do nice mixed boxes and their customer service is amazing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now