Your favourite children's Christmas book?

(62 Posts)
Moxiechick Tue 06-Sep-16 11:38:11

I've just started thinking about some ideas for this years Christmas Eve boxes for my dd and dn who will be 3.5 and 2.5.
Looking for Christmas books and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
I remember having a personalised Christmas book when I was younger where I went in the sleigh with Santa and delivered gifts to my friends.
What's your favourite Christmas book?

TisConfusion Tue 06-Sep-16 12:48:56

The Night before Christmas - classic choice, we read it every Christmas eve.

Bear stays up for Christmas is a nice story too smile

MrsJoeyMaynard Tue 06-Sep-16 12:52:38

The Night Before Christmas.

The Snowman is nice too, although I was a bit surprised to find out that they don't go to the North Pole to party with Santa in the book.

OhHolyFuck Tue 06-Sep-16 12:56:15

The jolly Christmas postman

DixieWishbone Tue 06-Sep-16 12:59:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Moonrocks6 Tue 06-Sep-16 13:12:22

www.amazon.co.uk/Dear-Father-Christmas-Alan-Durant/dp/1406351490

This is one of my favourites. It has little letters in envelopes that have been written to the little girl from Santa.

I often use it in school st Christmas. At the end the child is sent a holographic ticket for a ride on the sleigh.
One year a little boy came over when I'd finished reading and asked, with a mystified look on his face,
"How did Santa get the magic into that book?"
It is one of the moments in teaching that will always stay with me. smile

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Tue 06-Sep-16 13:25:16

The Pirates' Night Before Christmas

Theselittlelights Tue 06-Sep-16 13:27:01

Stick Man

ByTheNine Tue 06-Sep-16 13:31:36

They're a bit young for it yet but Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden is the best - a little orphan girl, a doll who thinks no one is going to buy her and a childless couple all get a perfect Christmas. Gets me in the feels every time.

AlbusPercival Tue 06-Sep-16 13:34:14

Agree with Jolly Christmas postman, I love opening all the little letters and notes.

DubiousCredentials Tue 06-Sep-16 13:34:56

The Night Before Christmas without a doubt.

YesILikeItToo Tue 06-Sep-16 13:38:35

Christmas in Exeter Street I think. About a house where the doorbell keeps ringing with expected and unexpected guests on Christmas Eve, and how they are all accommodated. With a smashing cut away of the house with everyone asleep waiting for Father Christmas in the attics, the bath, the kitchen sink. I like it best because it's a grand romantic picture of Christmas hospitality and there's also something just slightly strange about it.

Needfinsnow Tue 06-Sep-16 13:43:29

www.timothyknapman.co.uk/book/a-very-pirate-christmas

A very pirate Christmas! It's brilliant to read, a lovely rhyme / rhythm to it and very funny! My dd loves it!

PeggyMitchell123 Tue 06-Sep-16 13:46:36

We read Night Before Christmas every year. We also have one of those personalised Santa books and That's Not My Santa-good for toddlers.

Myfanwyprice Tue 06-Sep-16 13:48:07

I've got loads! I started collecting them when ds was a baby and he's now 10 - I think we've got about 80!! Maybe a bit excessive blush
Among my favourites are, Jesus' Christmas party, the smelly sprout and the sheep who saved Christmas.

Last year I got the empty stocking by Richard Curtis, that really is fabulous!

leccybill Tue 06-Sep-16 13:51:52

Twas Nochebuena is a really lovely rhyming one about how Christmas is celebrated in Spain/Mexico. It's in English.

A bit of an out there suggestion but I read it in schools and the kids love it.

situatedknowledge Tue 06-Sep-16 13:54:41

Emma Chichester Clark Melrose and Croc Together at Christmas We obviously loved the Blue Kangaroo books by the same author, but this is just so simple and tender, and has a theme that applies year round.

YesILikeItToo Tue 06-Sep-16 13:55:32

Looks like Holly and Ivy is going to be reissued just in time for Christmas nine.

lalaland1985 Tue 06-Sep-16 13:57:44

Another vote for the jolly Christmas postman. I loved it and my nieces and nephew do too.

iemma321q Tue 06-Sep-16 14:01:50

Another vote for The Night Before Christmas

RueDeWakening Tue 06-Sep-16 14:08:52

Slinki Malinki's Christmas Caper (think that's the right title!), Stick Man, and 'Twas the Night Before Christmas are all favourites here.

Owllady Tue 06-Sep-16 14:11:30

The night before Christmas

Owllady Tue 06-Sep-16 14:13:16

A child's Christmas in Wales, is sweet too

butterfly990 Tue 06-Sep-16 14:14:02

Mine love "Father Christmas needs a wee".

Boogers Tue 06-Sep-16 14:27:08

The Night Before Christmas, read every Christmas Eve to my two, freshly bathed and in their brand new pyjamas, bright eyes excited for Santa coming! Some traditions never die, and I've carried on H's tradition of a new toothbrush in the children's stockings, as well as a new toothbrush and jar of pickled onions in his stocking.

DS, DD and H all have a stocking but I'm the only one on Christmas morning without one, though no one has noticed yet. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now