Talk

Advanced search

Cheap Christmas gifts

(32 Posts)
Funko Sun 04-Sep-16 15:58:07

Sod it, joining the Xmas bandwagon!

Single parent, single wage!
Put waaaaayyy too much on credit card last year that I'll still be paying until death probably 😄

Apart from my DS who will have the bulk of my Xmas spends on him. Have lots of people family etc to buy for.

I want to be cheap as possible but not crappy.

I also manage a team and I always get them a little gift each. For this year I thought of a little 'goody' bag each. I can buy those individual face masks in packs of 6 that I can throw in. Was thinking a scented candle and other mini things.

I also thought I could do the same for extended family. Any ideas? Anything good and cheap I can buy many of to split between bags?

Bit different from the usual boring smelly gift set etc.

Heirhelp Sun 04-Sep-16 16:19:08

How old is DS? Can he make gifts for family.

For your team can just give them a bottle of wine.

Funko Sun 04-Sep-16 16:24:01

He's 10 and good god no! He is the least creative child I have ever come across (apart from me grin) I couldn't inflict that on anyone lol

I've done the bottle and Chocs thing for the team a few times, just thought some little goodie bags with bits I can pick up between now and then would be nice.

Heirhelp Sun 04-Sep-16 16:26:53

Can you reduce the number of people you buy for? If you speak to people now there is nothing wrong with saying to family let's not do adult gifts.

Ukhotdeals is a great place to find out about bargains.

From work I have most appreciated a card with a heart felt specifics message. I value that way above a gift.

Penguinbeaver Sun 04-Sep-16 16:30:15

How about a cellophane bag with a couple of nail polishes/nail file/ mini hand cream. But if ribbon and gift tag?

jerryfudd Sun 04-Sep-16 16:52:01

How about a Christmasy lottery card for team at work in a card?

Funko Sun 04-Sep-16 17:34:25

I'm already a hot deals nerd 😄

That's precisely the sort of thing I was thinking penguin but with a couple of extra minis like a candle or something.

I love the lottery scratch card idea too Jerry! Thanks 😄

wheatchief Sun 04-Sep-16 18:02:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wheatchief Sun 04-Sep-16 18:04:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Soupandasandwich Sun 04-Sep-16 18:15:15

Keep an eye out for Flash sales from places like l'occitane. Last week they had one and I got lots of bits half price plus, because I spent a certain amount, I was able to buy a set of six different travel size products for £15 rather than £30. Those are going in my Christmas gift box. Probably for colleagues. Are you near any 'outlets'? I visited one recently where there was a Lindt shop and I got a 'pick and mix'of the balls, different flavours than what's in the boxes, also at a healthy discount.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 04-Sep-16 19:51:09

I have a team I like to give a small gift to but really can't afford anything too expensive. I make big trays of rocky rd dust it with edible glitter and chop into cubes. Then buy a packet of Christmasy celophane bags from eBay and ties with curly foil ribbon. Always a hit.

Funko Sun 04-Sep-16 20:51:28

Brilliant ideas all! Thanks 😄

FeelingSmurfy Sun 04-Sep-16 20:57:22

Come and join us

Lots of ideas for bargains, we are up to the 4th thread smile If you mention a particular item or person you are looking for ideas for then everyone is really helpful in making suggestions

Funko Sun 04-Sep-16 21:00:44

I'm there!

Acopyofacopy Sun 04-Sep-16 21:02:45

Stop the Christmas madness and don't do presents!

Do a secret Santa with your family and treat your team to a breakfast / coffee round / whatever before Christmas.

We have stopped adult presents and don't do presents at work either, it's very liberating!

chanie44 Sun 04-Sep-16 21:42:33

If u were you, if try and cut down on the number of people I have to buy for. I bet there are a couple of people you buy for who'd be glad to cut back.

Whilst the goody bags are a nice idea, many will probably end up being discarded. What about buying your team a box box of heroes/celebrations or some homemade treats.

You could get family gifts eg a dvd, boardgame, cinema vouchers.

One year, I made a relative a little hamper of their favourite things eg favourite biscuits, sweets - literally anything they liked.

Funko Sun 04-Sep-16 21:47:51

I already (kindly but stupidly blush) treat the team with stuff anyway cakes, lunches etc so it's not special anymore... Rod for my own back!

also with family it's like a (bad) habit to get spensive gifts 😡 I'd rather we didn't but I could have the conversation and they'd all be understanding and I would spend minimal and they'd still go all out with the expense making me feel pants. I need to get out of this!

Acopyofacopy Sun 04-Sep-16 22:02:43

I hope you're not spending that much of your own money on your team shock

KC225 Mon 05-Sep-16 01:17:04

Christmas dvds from poundland. Bad Santa fir the not so easily offended and Elf S's a family choice

Wormwoodm Mon 05-Sep-16 06:42:07

I don't understand why you go so ott with work colleagues?? I would never expect my line manager to get lunch and bring me a Christmas gift. Bringing a cake or a tray bake would be plenty. Nice idea above to make a rocky road and put it in Christmas decorated cones for staff.

disneymum3 Mon 05-Sep-16 11:50:37

How about something homemade jam, chutney, or fudge.
Fudge is very cheap to make and easy too especially if you have a slow cooker.

inneedofchocolate Mon 05-Sep-16 12:16:31

What about an engraved cornerstone razor for any males in your family? I think that any male related to a mumsnetter will be getting one for Christmas! Here's my link for anyone who wants £10 off x www.cornerstone.co.uk/7jul0247

purpleladybird Mon 05-Sep-16 13:27:33

How much do you want to spend on each person? This might help us give ideas.

Generally I find one more gift costing a few pounds looks more substantial than lots of little bits costing 50p each.

For your your colleagues consider buying a chocolate advent calendar each (cost £1-2) and giving it to them on 1 December with an Xmas card as their gift. I find few adults have a calendar so it's always appreciated!

Ceaser1981 Mon 05-Sep-16 15:41:38

For sample size what about buying loccitane advent and splitting between the team. Some scents are good for men too, it cost £40 last year. With candles you can buy yankee votive for just under £2 each and asda do some nice holders cheap. Or surprisingly the tin candles from primark £3.50 i think, smell great.

SideOrderofChip Mon 05-Sep-16 16:02:20

superdrug sells off some of its nail stuff in the christmas section really cheap. the other day it was £1 an item for flutterby stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now