Ideas for 3 year old niece

(17 Posts)
SquedgieBeckenheim Sun 04-Sep-16 09:35:14

My niece will be 3 years old at Christmas, we don't live geographically close, but hopefully they will come to visit around Christmas. So I need to get her something that won't be too expensive to post/doesn't take up too much car space for them to get home. DB and SIL hate noisy toys with a passion. They're a very arty/creative family so they have art and craft supplies coming out of their ears. Her birthday is November, I'll probably post some books for that so don't want books for Christmas too.
I did think of a set of walkie talkies? Or a remote controlled car, but that may be too noisy or bulky.
DD is only 2, so I'm not sure what 3 year olds might be in to!

ASAS Sun 04-Sep-16 09:37:24

Role play toys? Either a costume or accessories.

secondhoneymoon Sun 04-Sep-16 10:13:53

I'd ask the parents for ideas. With a birthday just before Christmas too they might well have a list. If you don't want to do that, what about clothes?

Wayfarersonbaby Sun 04-Sep-16 11:46:20

IMO you can never go wrong with Duplo! Some of the medium-size sets come in a carry case so they are reasonably compact, eg.
www.toysrus.co.uk/toys/lego-duplo-all-in-one-box-of-fun-10572-/0121711
www.toysrus.co.uk/toys/lego-duplo-all-in-one-gift-set-10570-/0121709

Out of all my 3yo DD's more compact, non-noisy and non-crafty toys I'd say her favourites are 1. Duplo, 2. Sticklebricks, 3. Orchard Toys games, 4. Fuzzy felt.

DD likes the idea of walkie-talkies, but doesn't play with them for long. You always need someone else, either an adult or sibling, who's willing to play as well, which can be a bit time-consuming!

Shemozzle Sun 04-Sep-16 12:02:58

If they don't like noisy toys they probably like wooden/ethical things. Have a look on Babipur for ideas. Or even better ask them? I have a couple of family members that never ever ask and they always get noisy plastic character stuff we just don't really use which is a shame. I've always got lots of suggestions waiting.

Sierra259 Sun 04-Sep-16 12:09:21

A nice dress for special occasions? Ted Baker or John Lewis have some lovely ones.

Some games maybe? Orchard or Galt do some really nice ones to introduce colours/numbers/matching. Cake Monster is a particular favourite of my 3.5yo!

Rainbowunicorn71 Sun 04-Sep-16 12:20:33

I second the role play suggestion:
Dressing up clothes
Play food
A tool kit
A doctor's kit
Or my ds loved all the mini figures play houses.
Eg scooby doo mansion or peppa's holiday house.

Wayfarersonbaby Sun 04-Sep-16 12:27:51

Oooh yes I forgot about a doctor's kit! DD loves hers - ELC have a good one reduced to £10 in store at the moment. It's called "nurse's kit" but it's actually a doctor's kit (has a badge inside for a Dr. ..........). It's got lots of bits and isn't too plasticky.

Brown76 Sun 04-Sep-16 12:38:00

Wooden train set? Early learning centre, tesco, ikea all have them, and you can add to the set.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sun 04-Sep-16 12:49:51

I know you said not books but my dd's love busy books. They are a hardback book with 12 small figures and a playmat. They do them in a range of characters. Best price for them is supermarkets around £5 but whsmith have them too but rrp £7.99

Could get one with corresponding dvd Eg paw patrol, jungle book, minnie mouse all popular with dd age 4.

Other ideas doctors kit, tea set, binoculars and bird watching book, bubble machine smile

SquedgieBeckenheim Sun 04-Sep-16 12:49:59

Thanks for the suggestions, the only ideas we ever get from DB and SIL are books as they're easy to post. I don't want to always get books though!
She already has a very large wooden train set.
I like the doctors kit idea, and the games. I'll look into those. Thanks.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sun 04-Sep-16 12:50:50

Oh and hungry hippos game - is a bit noisy when playing but dd loves it!

Avebury Sun 04-Sep-16 12:52:39

The Galt game 'whatever next' is great from 3 up

Rainbowunicorn71 Sun 04-Sep-16 15:11:37

Oh yes op, board games. At 3 my ds began to play these properly. Orchard toys Asda have a good range of games for this age group and it would be light to post too.

throwingpebbles Sun 04-Sep-16 15:18:05

Playmobil, sylvanian families, or any of the orchard toys games - my daughter currently loves the cupcake game but there are loads of great ones!

SmallBee Sun 04-Sep-16 15:21:13

If they're crafty would a subscription to the mister maker or toucan boxes go down well?

TeaPleaseLouise Sun 04-Sep-16 15:25:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now