Fit bit advice for christmas

(6 Posts)
matrix11 Sat 03-Sep-16 10:58:19

Hi, i know it is very premature but my 10 year old daughter says she would like a fit bit for Christmas, she is heavily into her badminton and i think she has seen a lot of the older ones she plays with, with them. Is she a bit too young? What does it really do? I am completely clueless on these and i am after a bit of advice on which one would be best suited to her. I thought she was going to ask for a phone but she has not!

TheBathroomSink Sat 03-Sep-16 16:30:45

I don't think she's too young. The basic ones will count steps, either in total or as a percentage against a target you set. You usually need to use an app as well to see your data, so you'd need to sync it to a phone or tablet every so often.

The more expensive ones will monitor heart rates, some can be used for swimming/cycling and lots monitor sleep patterns. If you are looking at one with a heart rate monitor, be aware that they can be tricky with very small wrists - it can be difficult to get them in the right place according to some reviews. The more basic ones often come with a clip as well as a wrist strap, so you can wear in on your clothes, but they don't do heart rates.

If you know a lot of people with one, who do the same activities she does, I'd ask them for ideas on which work best.

themumfairy Tue 06-Sep-16 22:28:31

I have the fitbit charge hr. I love it. Ive got my ds whos 14 one for xmas as thats what she wanted. Mine is linked to my phone so i can see my stats. Otherwise you can only see the basic steps etc. On the app you download you can monitor sleep, water input, etc.
I wouldn't be without mine now, but if she doesnt have a phone could she download the app on yours?

PatriciaHolm Tue 06-Sep-16 22:36:12

DD just got a Fitbit alta, she's about to turn 12, so a bit older but loves it. One thing though is that they are technically not allowed a Fitbit account until they are 13, so you have to lie about their age when setting it up. If she just wants a basic steps monitor you could get one a lot cheaper thoug h.

PatriciaHolm Tue 06-Sep-16 22:36:21

DD just got a Fitbit alta, she's about to turn 12, so a bit older but loves it. One thing though is that they are technically not allowed a Fitbit account until they are 13, so you have to lie about their age when setting it up. If she just wants a basic steps monitor you could get one a lot cheaper thoug h.

PatriciaHolm Tue 06-Sep-16 22:38:15

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now