Talk

Advanced search

Christmas grotto visit near Maidstone kent

(13 Posts)
felineways Thu 01-Sep-16 12:54:45

Hi

Will be staying with family between Maidstone and Tunbridge wells for a few days before Christmas. I'd planned to take my toddler to see Santa at Brookside garden centre. However despite trying from when the tickets went on sale at 7 yesterday I wasn't able to get a ticket.

Now looking for a good plan b thinking of leeds castle for the market and Peter rabbit. But seen bad reviews of the grotto.

Has anyone been to Leeds castle santa or can suggest another good Santa visit in the area?

cherrypez Thu 01-Sep-16 18:01:27

Bluewater grotto was great last year. Nottcutts garden centre has one too. Also there is a reindeer centre at Ashford which has a grotto.

Floralnomad Thu 01-Sep-16 18:05:14

I was also going to say the Reindeer centre

felineways Thu 01-Sep-16 18:23:49

Cherry have you been to the nottcutts? Was it nice I'm a bit wary of reindeer centre after last year when it had to close

SerendipitousFoxley Thu 01-Sep-16 18:29:06

Did the reindeer centre have to close last year? I went! It was quite early though, possibly even the end of November. It's truly lovely, we've been twice. Second was nicer than the first, you can tell they're getting busier though.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Thu 01-Sep-16 18:31:23

well I came onto this thread to hope beyond hope that you hadn't tried Brookside, judging by the threads on my local facebook pages today. The poster I had most sympathy for was the one who said quite simply - I don't remember all this fuss about a grotto when I was a child.

I hope you find a suitable Santa visit. There is sometimes a skating rink at Dunorlan park - Winter wonderland idea. That might have a santa.

MrsCK Thu 01-Sep-16 20:11:46

I went to notcutts (you don't want to know what my phone tried to call that!!!) When I was a child...I remember it being magical way back then!

Partybugs Thu 01-Sep-16 20:20:03

Try looking at Groombridge Place.. They have Christmas stuff on.

Partybugs Thu 01-Sep-16 20:20:38

I think Penshurst Place did a Narnia theme last year

Loujesshop Thu 01-Sep-16 22:23:45

We did Leeds castle last year and although we love the place and are regular visitors we were disappointed with the grotto. We thought it would be in the castle rooms but it wasn't. It was in a tent in the Xmas market. It was freezing! Aftera quick walk through the 'grotto' Santa didn't even ask our kids what they wanted for Xmas, he just cracked a couple of hours, gave them a present and ushered them out. He didn't have his hat on...all in all it was not what we expected at all! We will be going back to ruxley manor in sidcup this year, its much better.

Loujesshop Thu 01-Sep-16 22:24:45

*jokes not hours!

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Thu 01-Sep-16 22:37:47

I think Penshurst might be Narnia again (if not there, then Hever). DC age 11 hedging their bets - quote I do believe, but I know its you really. So no trip to the grotto for them!

felineways Fri 02-Sep-16 10:15:56

Thank you all for your feedback sounds like for santa Leeds castle isn't all that.

Rather sad about brookside :-( nothing else seems as easy / suitable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now