new york at Christmas

(11 Posts)
rainingcats Wed 31-Aug-16 22:45:18

Going to new york for seven days over xmas (including xmas day) any suggestions for what we can do that is a bit different to the usual touristy things - No children just adults! In particular looking for what we can do on xmas day!

TodayCrosbyToday Wed 31-Aug-16 23:19:58

I visited about 5 years ago just before Christmas, so not sure how much of this is still relevant . . .

The High Line is a great way to get a different view of Manhattan. It's a disused railway line way above street level that's been turned into an urban park/trail. I think it runs between the Meat Packing District & 34th Street if I recall correctly?

The TKTS (or possibly TKDS?) booth in Times Square sells on the day Broadway and off-Broadway show tickets for up to 50% off. We got amazing seats for a ridiculously low price!

We spent most of our time walking around as the city is amazing decked out for Christmas. We did also go on an open top tourist bus which was brilliant for getting a general feel of the city. Definitely wrap up warm though and take extra blankets if you sit up top- my jeans practically froze to my legs as it was so cold!

Flat Iron building is fab and Union Square.

Sorry, most of this is probably too touristy confused Would definitely recommend The High Line though.

I'm so jealous! Have a fabulous time smile

rainingcats Wed 31-Aug-16 23:24:44

Brilliant -thank you todaycrosbytoday will add them suggestions to the list !

Equimum Thu 01-Sep-16 08:57:20

That time of year is, obviously, very busy in NYC. I'd second a visit to the high line. there is also a cable car that goes over to Roosevelt Island (not too far from Bloomingdales) and that's usually quiet. I also love the Botanical Gardens, which are right up in the Bronx, so only good if you have quite a bit of time. I think they still do the miniature train show at that time of year, which is amazing, but does get very busy.

You may also still be early enough to book tickets to go up the Statue of Liberty, if you are interested. We booked in September for early December. If you want to look round Ellis Island as well, though, make sure you don't book very early tickets as the boats only stop at EI on the way out (or, at least, they did when we were there.

swooosh Thu 01-Sep-16 19:32:45

I couldn't go to NYC at Christmas without seeing the Radio City show! I've never seen it as I've always gone just outside of the showing season sad

Davros Thu 01-Sep-16 19:47:42

I believe a lot of New Yorkers go out for Chinese food on Xmas day. As its a very Jewish city I think this is their answer to avoiding too much Xmas-ness. There is a great food hall under the Plaza Hitel, open to all. Look for the crepe cakes. Enjoy!

MrsCK Thu 01-Sep-16 20:05:48

This might be a silly question but is it just as festive the week between Christmas and New Year?

Viiolettheorgangrinder Thu 01-Sep-16 23:22:11

I'd imagine it'll still be as festive. Thanksgiving is as big there as Christmas day is here for us. Christmas day there is kind of like our boxing day(which they don't have). Hope that makes sense lol. I've been over thanksgiving and would love to visit over the Christmas period. Would love to take my little girl to see the rockettes show. The cheap tickets stall on times square is tkts.

Wayfarersonbaby Thu 01-Sep-16 23:51:00

See the Balanchine/New York City Ballet Nutcracker at the Lincoln Center - gorgeous ballet and they have some lovely pre-theatre restaurants. Highly recommended! It's on for ages around Christmas and just afterwards:
www.nycballet.com/Ballets/N/George-Balanchines-The-Nutcracker.aspx

The Morgan library and museum is beautiful and chic, has some amazing stuff and a great restaurant and cafe. The building is amazing, very Christmassy that time of year. They used to be open late Friday evenings for jazz and cocktails - worth checking near the time if they are:
www.themorgan.org

MrsCK yes, usually, all the lights and decorations are still up until New Year and of course all the Christmas sales are on ;)

I hope you pack your feather parkas, though, OP - NY at Christmastime is cold cold cold. The locals are all wearing frightful giant duvet coats which no-one would ever need in this country. Last time I was there at Christmas and NY it was covered in snow and about -15 - no picnic for us coddled Brits grin

rainingcats Fri 02-Sep-16 05:14:01

Thank you for all the suggestions and tips!

WreckTangled Sat 03-Sep-16 12:40:04

Definitely go and see the rockettes at radio city Dh and I loved it and I really didn't think he would.

We saw Aladdin on Broadway, not Christmassy but really amazing.

On tripadvisor they have a 'walk' mapped out where you can see all of the best Christmas lights.

We saw an Amazon burlesque and comedy show with dinner which was awesome if that's your kind of thing, it was very small so felt very exclusive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now