Talk

Advanced search

Foodbank Advent Calendar

(8 Posts)
Tiggles Wed 31-Aug-16 10:00:11

Has anyone else seen the posts on facebook about making up a foodbank advent calendar - each day putting an item into a box and then taking to the foodbank.
I thought was a great idea but doing through advent would be too late to be able to get it to the foodbank in time for Christmas and then get it to a recipient. So was trying to work out whether October or November would be a better month to do it. I usually try and avoid Christmas food pre-December but sure some of you more organised types might be able to advise. When do things like Christmas puddings/cakes arrive in the shops (I make my own so really no idea on this one!) so I can get one to pop in the calendar. Any other ideas for things we could put in?

AmyAmoeba Wed 31-Aug-16 21:54:44

Definitely should be lots of Christmassy food in shops by November.
Maybe contact the food bank you want to donate to and find out what they suggest. I'd guess that there are some foods they have lots of and some things they are short of.

Tiggles Wed 31-Aug-16 22:34:15

Thanks Amy.

HollyBollyBooBoo Thu 01-Sep-16 06:33:17

Yes I've seen this and think it's a great idea for teaching my 6yo the value of giving rather than just receiving!

Agree it would be better a month earlier.

hesterton Thu 01-Sep-16 06:36:27

But it's more likely to be after Christmas when people run out of food and money isn't it?

Tiggles Thu 01-Sep-16 09:45:48

Possibly hesterton, I donate regularly to the foodbank and there is always a constant need. It may be higher after Christmas but the people who need it over Christmas itself it would be nice to treat them.
In the past we have given up pudding/sweets etc through November and used the money to buy a toy for the children's ward ready for Christmas but thought we would do something different this year.

hesterton Thu 01-Sep-16 11:50:29

I just think there's a huge wave of generosity over Christmas but then it's all forgotten by many (not you) the rest of the year. The sentimentality galls for me. Lots of nice things then to make us feel ok about our massive wave of unneeded consumerism at what has become a ludicrous mass of gluttony then move on.

Tiggles Thu 01-Sep-16 12:04:37

smile that is a good point and hadn't really thought about it like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now