Talk

Advanced search

Pre-school Christmas Nativity

(13 Posts)
NotAsYoungAsIWas Sun 21-Aug-16 14:54:30

I have worked in a preschool for over ten years and we have put on the same(ish) nativity since I started. Has anyone got any ideas for something new? The children are aged between two and four. Thanks smile

lostlalaloopsy Mon 22-Aug-16 07:34:55

To be honest I would just stick with the original version. One year at dd's school instead of the nativity they did a show about a Christmas circus which included Elvis. It didn't have the same magical quality!!

VioletBam Mon 22-Aug-16 07:36:30

I agree...it's just more beautiful to see the traditional performance.

I hate it....and so do many parents, when things are "brought up to date" and have naff songs added in.

The children love and remember the old songs

Little Donkey

We Three Kings

Away in a Manger

PotteringAlong Mon 22-Aug-16 07:37:42

And you might have done the same one for 20 years but it will be new to most of the parents. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Ragwort Mon 22-Aug-16 07:38:20

Totally agree, stick with the 'original' story, it will be 'new' for the parents and children - and that's what matters. I've seen the occasional 'modern interpretation' and it's always been disappointing and slightly naff.

RoughMagic Mon 22-Aug-16 07:38:39

I would stick with what works! Parents won't mind and it's less work for you.

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Mon 22-Aug-16 07:43:50

I think everyone expects the littlies to do the traditional story. I would stick with it.

Chelazla Sun 28-Aug-16 11:31:48

Agreed! Nothing cuter that little shepherds and angels looking beautiful without a clue as to what they're doing!!!

Floggingmolly Sun 28-Aug-16 11:34:12

It's the Nativity! Of course it's always the same! The parents won't have been watching their own kids perform it for the last 20 years...

LittleReindeerwithcloggson Sun 28-Aug-16 18:01:30

Have seen some lovely adaptations of the nativity over the years. The littlest shepherd, whoops a daisy Angel, the little drummer boy to name a few. Just adaptions to the nativity so traditional but with a twist so original. You can't beat the sight of little people dressed as Angels, sheep, donkeys etc - it's adorable!

JuniorMint Sun 28-Aug-16 18:08:36

I'm a nursery teacher and last year we did 'Twas The Night Before Christmas- children dressed in pyjamas and dressing gowns and I read a simplified version of the poem while they acted out different parts eg hanging stockings on the fireplace/listening for reindeer on the roof etc, interspersed with short bursts of fun well known songs such as When Santa Got Stuck up the Chimney.

Chelazla Sun 28-Aug-16 23:50:40

Junior mint that sounds so sweet one of my fave ever stories!

Snazarooney Sun 28-Aug-16 23:51:55

Nursery Rhyme Nativity is fab! Also Humph the Camel with teachers doing the narration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now