Talk

Advanced search

Christmas spending on DC

(22 Posts)
Jennywallpaper Sun 21-Aug-16 10:26:15

Hi this is my first post so apologies if it's in the wrong thread.
I'm just curious as to people's spending habits on their DC for Christmas. This will be my first Christmas with 2 DC and I'm just wondering do people have set amounts they spend on each DC or do they just buy what they think each DC would like.
Hope this makes sense and I'm not over stepping. Thanks flowers

RJnomore1 Sun 21-Aug-16 10:28:14

I'm a bad example but I set out with a budget in mind then just end up buying everything.

Other people are much more disciplined than I am.

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Sun 21-Aug-16 10:32:33

I think when they're still young and don't understand money, you should just get what each child would like rather than try and spend the same amount. So if it's a baby and a toddler don't worry, if it's teenagers then make sure it's equal to the last penny or you'll be forever reminded of your favouritism. wink

Jennywallpaper Sun 21-Aug-16 10:50:41

RJ i usually do that to, trying to be stricter but I always seem to see more things I think he'd like! blush

Weebaby that's the way it is at the minute so I know they won't have any idea about the value but that will change as they get older.

I'm just interested in other people Christmas routines really, I know it's still early but I'm quite excited for this year. smile

RJnomore1 Sun 21-Aug-16 10:55:02

I never spend the same on my two

There are five years between them and they need different things and have different interests

Zombiemama Sun 21-Aug-16 11:03:45

Dd tends to get quite a few presents but i start shopping early have a few ideas in mind and keep an eye out for offers. The argos 3 for 2 and smyths 20% off help to keep my budget down...( i dont actually have a budget just a list if items at roughly full price and i aim to not spend over this so when items are reduced i get extra instead of saving 😂)

VimFuego101 Sun 21-Aug-16 11:05:55

I set a budget early on, otherwise I would splurge on random crap. If I know what I have to spend I can hunt for bargains and get a good range of stuff they'll actually like.

Jennywallpaper Sun 21-Aug-16 11:13:20

RJ that was like me and my brother growing up, never made any difference to us as we both got what we asked for and usually much more.

ZOMBIE I've already started too, I love the 3for2 in Argos I usually save quite abit on it! I love a bargain!
Vim* that sounds like the best idea. But how do you work out how much? confused

I've only 4 pay days to go so trying to get as organised as possible now smile

WhirlwindHugs Sun 21-Aug-16 11:13:44

I have the same maximum for each child but it's not a target. I use a pattern to buy them gifts, so they all get one dressing up thing all get one small world thing etc.

The eldest tends to get more spent just because they're older and the things they want/need cost more.

anyoldname76 Sun 21-Aug-16 12:42:30

i dont have a budget as such but I've got it into my head that they all get 15 presents each plus a stocking, usually 1 main present and the rest are cheaper ones. i save all year for the love 2 shop vouchers and i do pick up bargains along the way. ive already got the annuals as they were reduced to 50p each in argos.

Mummyshortlegz Sun 21-Aug-16 12:45:25

Mine are 3 and 1 and will have the same budget (£50 main present and £20 sticking) but ds2 will have mainly clothes bulking out his spending and his stocking will contain largely the same as ds1 and ds1 will play with it. Stockings always contain new pants, flannel, toothbrush and drawing things, a book, orange and choc and then random bits on top. Quite easy to make it basically the same.

ExAstris Sun 21-Aug-16 15:17:36

Having a similar issue at the moment OP. DS2 doesn't need anything, he's a year old and still has all DS1's baby/toddler toys. We don't have the space to buy big toys just for the sake of it, and DS2 certainly won't notice, but DS1 will notice the disparity. I'll have to come up with consumables or something for DS2. I'd like to put some money away for him as DS1 received a large gift from a relative who died before DS2 was born so there is a disparity in their bank accounts, but as I said, I need to make sure their present piles aren't too different or DS1 will be offended on DS2's behalf!

Floralnomad Sun 21-Aug-16 15:23:22

My dc are 23 & 17 , I've never had a budget and I've always bought them what they want / what I think they would like , I've never matched the amount of money I spend . I completely disagree with the pp who said you have to match spending with older DC , I'd be very disappointed if my DC were working our the cost of their presents and checking the other hadn't had more , but perhaps it's different if you are on a smaller budget / set budget.

Jennywallpaper Sun 21-Aug-16 18:30:49

Floral I don't think I ever knew how much my parents spent on me and my DB I know it wouldn't have mattered if one got more than the other, we always got what we asked for so we were happy! I'd never have begrudged my DB something. I love seeing him happy and would gladly have given something up if it meant he got something he wanted. Hopefully my DC will feel this way about each other.

CakeNinja Sun 21-Aug-16 22:29:32

Obviously I wouldn't buy one a laptop, one a bike and the other a packet of biscuits but I don't ever sit down and add anything up or think I need to spend more on one to make up the value.
And I would be quite cross if they were sitting there on Christmas Day nitpicking with "he got 12 presents and I only got 10," - sounds really ungrateful and bratty!
They do get a huge amount of presents though, from my very large family and so they aren't sat there counting presents one after the other.
I buy a combination of things they've asked for and surprises. Nothing is added up yet I manage to keep it fairly equal.

ImperialBlether Sun 21-Aug-16 22:44:47

I remember a woman I worked with had a son who used to spend Boxing Day researching the costs of all his (many, many) presents and keeping a list tallying it with his sister's presents. Awful. I wouldn't have wanted to give him a bloody thing.

Having said that, I've found that presents for my two, who are now in their 20s, have always come to roughly the same amount, but I know they don't weigh it up.

It does depend on your financial situation to some extent, OP. Are you looking forward to buying their presents? I've always loved it.

Jennywallpaper Mon 22-Aug-16 08:03:32

Imperial that is awful! He sounds very ungrateful!!
Yes I'm so excited, I've bought a few things already, I'm finding it easier to buy for DS atm just because he's older and I know what he likes, but I'm sure I'll find plenty for DD smile

FallenStar3 Mon 22-Aug-16 08:05:55

I did a thread about this last Christmas I had always spent excately the same but I was surprised at how many people get the same number of presents rather than cost. I personally prefer how I do it as the older DC stuff costs more than the younger DC

DollyBarton Mon 22-Aug-16 08:19:39

I get them as little as possible. The little buggers always seem to love the £2 plastic tat more than the £40 train set anyway. Plus they get so much from others. I try to get them useful for rainy day stuff like art sets etc for their Santa stocking. They will 3,2,1 at Christmas so gifts are getting easier. Babies have no idea. Get them things they need and will use.

DollyBarton Mon 22-Aug-16 08:21:36

Oh for my baby girls I always get them a silver charm for bracelets I started when they were born on big occasions like birthday, Christmas and christening. That's our gift to them on these days and costs about £8 each.

Crispsheets Mon 22-Aug-16 08:23:30

Mine are 20 and 17 and get a cheque now.
I do a stocking for them and usually spend the same on each.

altik Mon 22-Aug-16 08:44:24

I match the same number of presents, rather than the amount. My children both get what they want / need and they don't think or care about the cost, and I don't want to encourage them to think that way.

With an age difference between my two DDs, if I matched the amounts spent, there would be a real disparity between what they were given. For example, DD1 got a laptop last year for starting secondary. If I had matched costs, DD2 would have got 20 presents compared to DD1s one. Dd2 does not need a laptop, there was nothing worth £250 she wanted, so j would have been spending for the sake of it, or making dd1 go without (and she has really needed it this last year!). Instead, I'll match over time... DD2 will also get a laptop when she starts secondary, and so it will all even out in the end.

So last year I spent £££s more on DD1 than 2, but DD2 did not notice or care because she got what she wanted. She also knows that in other years, she has had bigger presents and more money spend on her...it all evens out in the wash and I'm careful that they get the same things at the same age (ear piercing at 10, first own contract phone at 13 etc...) that they see it as the same / fair and have never thought to question it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now