Talk

Advanced search

vegan gifts!

(27 Posts)
moobeana Tue 16-Aug-16 21:37:55

My SIL is notoriously hard to please and now she has decided she is vegan.
This gives me so many more chances to get it wrong and offend!
Ahhhhhh!

As she is newly vegan is there anything that would be genuinely useful of helpful to her.
Her birthday is in a month and then Christmas. All ideas greatly appreciated. I don't want to get it wrong!

EmLH Tue 16-Aug-16 21:42:56

A voucher for www.lovelula.com. They have a vegan section and stock some lovely products.

ObiWanCannoli Tue 16-Aug-16 21:48:39

Booja Booja chocolates sold in Holland and Barret near Christmas and on their online shop.

Oscha Tue 16-Aug-16 21:52:16

Did you particularly want to give her food? I'd be very happy with a few Vego bars!

pinkmagic1 Tue 16-Aug-16 21:57:40

A vegan cookbook?

DownHereInTheHorridHouse Wed 17-Aug-16 14:13:00

Hotel Chocolat do vegan bars and they usually have a 3 for £9 offer, or something like that. You'd be surprised how much chocolate is OK though - most dark stuff, such as Bournville, as well as Ritter marzipan, and a lot of 70%+ supermarket own brand, so it would be easy to do a sweets hamper.

TK Maxx are very good for non-leather handbags - you have to really mooch about as they aren't in one section, but you can often tell by the price. I've had some lovely bags and boots from there that are vegan.

rogueantimatter Wed 17-Aug-16 14:17:36

Bournville has milk in it IIRC.

Watch out for gelatine in sweets too.

Ethical superstore - online - has lots of lovely things - non-edible as well as edible.

DownHereInTheHorridHouse Wed 17-Aug-16 14:21:50

I think it used to have milk fat, but it doesn't any more.

Scuttlebutter Wed 17-Aug-16 22:58:55

Beech's chocolate www.beechsfinechocolates.com/vegan_chocolate_products/ are worth a look - they have a dedicated vegan selection. Last Christmas, I bought two vegan friends a selection of their bars and they were delighted.

Scuttlebutter Wed 17-Aug-16 23:00:41

Also, if she isn't already a member, how about a membership for the Vegan Society? they provide a wealth of information and advice.

cudbywestrangers Wed 17-Aug-16 23:01:36

A subscription to a vegan magazine???

Ceaser1981 Sat 27-Aug-16 22:53:00

Ive heard aldi do a nice vegan wine if she drinks

RedLarvaYellowLarva Sun 28-Aug-16 20:47:57

I'd get her a vegan cook book rather than food. Most vegans rave about Booja Booja but it's far too dark and adulty for me.

Superdrug have a vegan range of makeup called 'B' which is currently heavily discounted as they are rebranding. For the bargainous prices, I think you could get some lip glosses as a little top up gift. They are labelled vegan.

RedLarvaYellowLarva Sun 28-Aug-16 20:48:28

Or some things from Lush?

RedLarvaYellowLarva Sun 28-Aug-16 20:49:44

*Lush always clearly label their vegan things.

listsandbudgets Sun 28-Aug-16 20:53:28

If you're feeling generous you could give her a subscription to the vegan kind box. I'm on my phone at the moment but if you Google it it should come up

RedLarvaYellowLarva Sun 28-Aug-16 20:54:10

How much are you wanting to spend? You could order online some vegan cheeses.

www.midasdeli.com/

www.vegusto.co.uk/ (also sell vegan sausages and sandwich slices etc)

www.nutcrafter.co.uk/blogs/news/tagged/uk-vegan-artisan-cheese

I would be delighted with a big bundle of all of these!

mysteryfairy Mon 29-Aug-16 07:48:39

My DS is vegan but not keen on dark chocolate unless it's heavily flavoured with mint or raspberry or similar. I buy him moo free fake milk chocolate made for small children.

A modern way to cook and a modern way to eat by Anna Jones are excellent books. You could also buy Deliciously Ella.

I don't think a vegan themed present is necessary though, just remember not to buy leather or wool accessories.

ClaretAndBlue30 Mon 29-Aug-16 08:00:59

My FIL is a long time vegan so I'm well practised in vegan appropriate gifts! Montezuma's chocolate shop do good vegan chocolates, the vegan society sell nice cookbooks/books etc, we often go for flowers or hanging baskets as gifts too.

Getting lots of tips from this thread though for future presents!

RedLarvaYellowLarva Mon 29-Aug-16 10:46:33

mystery, I don't have grown up tastebuds either, and much prefer a slab of MooFree milk chocolate to anything posh and fancy like Booja or Hotel!
And you get more for your money! <cheap date>

user1471552005 Mon 29-Aug-16 15:04:50

A onesie?

i wouldn't give food.

Ceaser1981 Tue 30-Aug-16 16:12:58

Bomb cosmetics also do vegan products

pimmsy Tue 30-Aug-16 16:21:41

A kit to make her own vegan cosmetics ?

-Organic beeswax
-Shea butter
-Cacoa butter
-Coconut oil
-Essential oils
- A mould

There are lots of online tutorials and you can get all of the stuff from either organic shops of amazon

www.humblebeeandme.com/diy-homemade-massage-bars/

RedLarvaYellowLarva Tue 30-Aug-16 19:28:24

pimmsy, beeswax is NOT vegan.

pimmsy Wed 31-Aug-16 09:37:40

RedLarvaYellowLarva
Of course ... thank you!
Hadn't even thought it through although its works with Candelilla Wax or Soy wax!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now