Talk

Advanced search

What would you buy a newborn?

(25 Posts)
Toocold Tue 16-Aug-16 15:18:56

What would you all buy for a newborn? They will be approx three weeks old, I'm unsure what will happen or where we will be as they will be having heart surgery when a few days/week old, I have older children so I can't let it bypass me..any ideas?! ..I'm thinking stuff maybe they'd use later in the year? Big age gap between children so no idea for little ones anymore!

notamummy10 Tue 16-Aug-16 15:24:52

touchy feely books, a play gym mat thing... not necessarily for use at Christmas but when they are a little older!

TipBoov Tue 16-Aug-16 15:27:01

A little rattle, books, teether?

d270r0 Tue 16-Aug-16 16:56:48

Clothes, size 3-6 months or bigger, for them to grow into.

Toocold Tue 16-Aug-16 17:42:25

Thanks, not sure why I couldn't think of those things!

ShatnersBassoon Tue 16-Aug-16 17:45:40

A selection box and a Scalextric set. Or one of those rattles that you can Velcro on to their pudgy little wrist.

Artandco Tue 16-Aug-16 17:49:23

Something they can use anywhere

- baby 'bug in a rug'. It's like a blanket with feet and can be used safely in car seat, in sling, in pram or where ever. Opens in middle with Velcro so can leave open if needed after surgery

- or a nice cashmere blanket. Costly. I know people say baby puke, but I have always washed ours on a wool wash in machine and been fine. Nice to wrap them up in on sofa or hospital in your case if needed or can use out and about

- nice hat for winter. Cashmere again. Recommend Brora one with ear flaps. Super cute and soft.

- jellycat brand teddies. Various types. Very soft.

Lovelydiscusfish Wed 17-Aug-16 00:18:14

Some Usborne "That's not my..." books. Loved these with dd, when she was little.

wornoutboots Wed 17-Aug-16 12:05:21

clothes in a larger size (not seasonal ones though!)

things which make noise.

spanky2 Wed 17-Aug-16 12:07:44

Put some money into a bank account and set up a monthly direct debit. Then there'll be some money for college/car/deposit for a house.

ImperialBlether Wed 17-Aug-16 12:12:12

Is this for your own baby, OP? I hope everything goes well. flowers

I would buy a lovely blanket, a teddy and a nursery rhyme book.

MagentaRose72 Wed 17-Aug-16 21:27:50

I'd buy one of those pompom blankets Ive seen on Facebook (sorry forgotten the name of the page) or I'd make them a patchwork quilt. Maybe a Lamaze toy that's suitable from birth that fits onto the pram/buggy.

MrEBear Wed 17-Aug-16 21:44:03

I assume these are Santa presents for your own baby.

Books, rattles, blocks, shape sorter, baby gym, jumperoo, comforter / blankie, cot mobile, cuddly toy, soft doll if you are having a girl.

I have been thinking about similar issues due at Christmas and need to get somethings for baby who may / may not be here before Santa. But I need to have things for DSs benefit. I was thinking along the lines of anything that they will use in the first year so I'm not having to buy mid year to avoid the "baby got X, I want Y"

Toocold Thu 18-Aug-16 07:42:30

Thanks all, yes it's for my own baby, and I have an 8 and 11 year old, so need to keep it magical for them as well, but until the baby is born we won't know fully what surgery is required either way it's open heart surgery, or how long we'll be in hospital for hence trying to get organised now. My brain just isn't working at its normal level so thank you all for helping with the list, it's been a long time since I bought anything for a tiny person, it's all technology with the older ones. Thanks again.

MrEBear Thu 18-Aug-16 09:34:15

Other ideas, bath toys, car seat / travel toy, swim seat and dummies. Just checked my list. My DC is 5 so still heavily into Santa I don't want to spoil it for them.

Hope your baby will be ok I can't imagine how stressful it must be.

BertieBotts Thu 18-Aug-16 09:36:35

DS was 2 months his first Christmas and we got a jumperoo, which was great.

notanotherusername123 Fri 19-Aug-16 07:45:55

Dc4 was due on 14th Dec last year so I was in the same position. We bought him a Playmat and a bouncer. Things we would be buying anyway but not essential from the moment he was born

notanotherusername123 Fri 19-Aug-16 07:46:20

Dc4 was due on 14th Dec last year so I was in the same position. We bought him a Playmat and a bouncer. Things we would be buying anyway but not essential from the moment he was born

DoItTooJulia Fri 19-Aug-16 07:55:49

Oh, that sounds worrying. Good idea to get sorted now.

A cot mobile
A ball
Books
Rattle
Teething toys
Cute bootees
A hand print set
Links
A short sheepskin/lamb skin (in fact that's the best thing you could buy-so cozy and comfy)
Those giant soft Muslins (tk maxx)

Good luck op.

Toocold Sat 20-Aug-16 09:01:25

Thanks all, your lists have all really helped.

Vanillaradio Sat 20-Aug-16 12:22:46

For first Christmas aged about 10 weeks ds got some books, one with a Christmas story, a bauble with Baby's first Christmas, some clothes ( including a reindeer outfit which he had to wear on Christmas day! ) and a teether. Hope all goes well for your little one.

Blizy Sat 20-Aug-16 12:41:04

A cot mobile, it can be used in the hospital as well as some Lamaze dangly toys?
Small items such as stacking cups and tiny hide and squeak eggs, they are still firm favourites with my 19 month old.
I also second the "that's not my..." Books. Costco often do them £10 for a four pack.

Toocold Sat 20-Aug-16 18:22:00

Thanks again and thanks for the well wishes, it's all been a bit of a shock.

MrEBear Sun 21-Aug-16 12:26:41

Blizty thanks for the tip on Costo "That's not my..." books. I'll get my sister to keep an eye out for them.

Op I'm liking the cot mobile idea would be good for baby to have something to look at.

BiddyPop Mon 22-Aug-16 11:09:36

Do the older DCs get anything "useful" in their stockings as well (like socks, toothbrushes, hair bobbins etc)? If so, things like a travel sized sudocreme or small things for the nappy bag are always handy. A soother if you use them. A teether for using when a few months older.

There are always books in our stockings - for tiny DCs a hard board book, or a soft fabric one would be nice. And maybe a book of bedtime stories (a slightly heirloom type book?).

A gro-bag? The sleeping bag that fastens over the baby's shoulders? They might not need that in hospital (or at least, not initially), but it could be a thing for you as DPs to snuggle and get your smell on for when the baby moves into it.

And yes to the Lamaze type brightly coloured and textured toys to look at in cots.

Would the baby be allowed a soft toy by then to have in their cot?
Or a soft fleecy blanket?

I hope it all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now