Santa Snacks

(17 Posts)
BiddyPop Fri 22-Jul-16 10:24:12

Just for Middleclassproblem!! fgrin

What do you leave out for Santa?

In our house growing up, it was a biscuit, glass of Guinness and a carrot (for Rudolph). Same in DH's house.

In our house now, DD leaves out a plate with a couple of cookies, a glass of milk (Santa can't drink and drive!) and a carrot for Rudolph.

She makes the cookies herself in the afternoon - which can be a great way to keep her busy. Just in case the day is more manic than I'd like, I also make sure that every year I bake a batch earlier in December (it's a "slice off rounds from a log of dough" type recipe) and freeze half of that log - so I can just "slice and bake" either defrosted or even straight from frozen if that is needed.

I do have a glass of amaretto for myself later in the evening once the bedtime rush is over - my seasonal treat with an amaretti biscuit!

disneymum3 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:17:01

In our house its a cookie and a hot chocolate for Santa complete with marshmallows and whipped cream.
And 8 carrots for the reindeer (in this house Rudolph doesn't exist).

attheendoftheday Sat 23-Jul-16 19:18:20

I ask the dc what they want to put out. Last year it was a slice of the cake we'd had for Xmas eve tea, a glass of squash and 9 carrots.

OvO Sun 24-Jul-16 18:37:54

Carrot for reindeer. Last year we forgot so had to leave a Jammie Dodger - so wrong!

Cookie for Santa and a glass of milk.

We have a special plate for it all that was once my dads, and before that his dad's.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 24-Jul-16 21:53:36

fenvy at the plate OvO , I'm hoping my Christmas crockery will be handed on and used by my DC and any potential grandchildren.
I love the idea of the special plate with history.

I have a small ornament of a mallard drake that belonged to my grandfather, all throughout my childhood this was in our house and when I went to my parents a while ago, I poached him (I did ask though)
So he sits on my kitchen windowsill smile
By "Him" , I mean the ornamental drake not my Grandad.

<<Back in the real world>>
I made some Martha Stewart White Chocolate Cookies the last couple of years, they are gorgeous , a millionty times better than Millies Cookies.
Bit of a pain to convert the American measures and work out what the flours and raising agents translate to but well worth it.
Have to be eaten the same day though.

DD has a teaset (Ikea) which she used to leave out but now she's 14, it's not been used for a few years.

I think this year she should leave Christmas Cake, pistachio nuts, After Eights and hot coffee.

anyoldname76 Sun 24-Jul-16 22:00:05

ive got a special santa plate that i use every Christmas eve grin santa gets a glass of milk and a Christmas cookie, the plate isnt very big so only 1 carrot

georgetteheyersbonnet Sun 24-Jul-16 23:50:43

In our house growing up it was always a mince pie, a carrot, and a glass of sweet sherry. I suppose it didn't occur to us as kids to wonder why Father Christmas's favourite tipple was the same as my mother's grin

With DD I think we will do carrot and (mini) mince pie (I'm not fond of mince pies and generally only eat the odd small one a year). Not sure yet about the drink. I think DD might twig if we leave a gin and tonic complete with ice cubes for Father Christmas grin

NotCitrus Mon 25-Jul-16 01:09:56

Carrots, mince pies and whisky here. Sherry must be about the only drink we don't have, but I deserve my single malt once FC does the job!

ExtraHotLatteToGo Mon 25-Jul-16 01:36:06

Nothing in July, it would be rank by December.

Paperblank Mon 25-Jul-16 08:16:10

As children, Dsis and I always left a mince pie, sherry and a carrot out. Our last Christmas at our parents before our children (when we were 35 & 37) was exactly the same as every previous year.

Leave snacks, race upstairs and revert back to being 5 & 7 again.

Every morning the plate, glass and half eaten carrot, are on the hearth.

We have rung the changes over the years, imnocently pondering out loud as to what Santa would prefer... pork pie, cheese and onion sandwich, cup of tea and a rich tea biscuit... Strangely it is always my DF who decides what we should leave out.

However, the year we left a muller light yoghurt and a glass of water out we were told in no uncertain terms that we were on thin ice present wise if that's what Santa was getting grin

SpringerS Sat 30-Jul-16 15:54:12

Cookies that we make earlier in the day and a glass of milk. The reindeer get parsnips as for the last 2 years, DS has been unable to resist the carrots and eats them himself.

hels71 Sun 31-Jul-16 21:35:20

Santa gets a large G and T here....and a mince pie and Rudolph has a carrot. There was a suggestion from DD that squash would be better, but I convinced her santa prefers gin!

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Sun 31-Jul-16 21:48:51

When Santa gets to my house, he always enjoys a gluten free brownie and a diet coke, with a carrot for his reindeer pal.

TinySalmon Sun 31-Jul-16 21:54:36

In our house growing up it was cookies and a glass of milk. A carrot for the reindeer if we remembered.

Cookies never got eaten as mum was always on a diet so there was always just a tiny bite out of one cookie. I used to get upset that Santa didn't like our biscuits!

Purplehonesty Sun 31-Jul-16 21:55:55

Mince pie or biscuit. Something homemade anyway.
Glass of milk and carrot for Rudolph.

Good thinking about a carrot for every reindeer tho!

wobblywonderwoman Sun 31-Jul-16 22:01:18

Growing up I think it was whatever mum had in ! So cadbury roses and fruit cake and fizzy drink

paxillin Sun 31-Jul-16 22:06:03

Mince pie and brandy for Santa and carrot and water for Rudolph.

DH is Santa and I am Rudolph when it comes to leaving bite marks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now