Talk

Advanced search

going away for xmas

(9 Posts)
mareseatoatsanddoeseatoats Mon 28-Dec-15 19:56:53

Thinking about going away for xmas next year. I always end up hosting xmas eve/xmas day/Boxing Day and quite frankly I'd like a break from all that cooking.

Realistically the only way I can do this is if we (dh and I plus 2 Dc) go away.

I was thinking of getting a ferry crossing on the 21/22 Dec and heading to a hotel in a German city like cologne or Aachen for a couple of days then on xmas eve driving somewhere else where we could hire a little flat or a house for a few days. I appreciate everything would prob be shut so we would buy food and cook it. We would take dvd's/board games and just relax the 4 of us ... Maybe somewhere where we could walk. Then drive back on the 27th

Is this a ridiculous idea? I spent literally all xmas morning in the kitchen again. Had planned to prepare veg etc, lay table the night before, but our guests on xmas eve didn't leave til 11 so by the time we had cleared kitchen/dining room, loaded dishwasher/washed up etc it was past midnight so just went to bed. Next guests arrived at 10 xmas morning.

Would love to just buy a turkey crown and prepared veg from m&s and shove it all in the oven. In my mind lunch should only be a bit of the day whereas at the moment it seems to be my whole day.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 28-Dec-15 20:03:31

Or tell everyone you will be away and have a nice quiet family time at home with no interruptions !!!

mareseatoatsanddoeseatoats Mon 28-Dec-15 20:07:49

Not a bad idea but I think I'd end up with the curtains shut for 3 days and the door barricaded as I'd be paranoid that they might just pop by for no apparent reason.

Lovelydiscusfish Mon 28-Dec-15 22:31:43

I often think about booking a cottage up in the Lake District for Christmas (we love the Lakes!). I think it would be lovely to just get away from it all up there. Reading the guest books from many properties we stay in, I think a lot of families must just escape up there at Christmas, take lots of food, booze, etc with them... Sounds perfect to me!

Pobspits Mon 28-Dec-15 22:35:51

We often go away and are just back today BUT our dc are still young and its a bloody faff taking presents and stuff with us. If they were older and had smaller presents it wouldn't matter so much. I like going away and having time just us.

mareseatoatsanddoeseatoats Mon 28-Dec-15 22:38:56

They will be 11 & 8 so def doable by car, but wouldn't fly at xmas yet as I feel they still need presents etc

Davros Tue 29-Dec-15 10:37:49

I'm tempted too. I found Xmas day hard work and I don't even do the cooking and there were only 6 of us!

Barbeasty Thu 31-Dec-15 20:19:43

Why not rent a cottage somewhere in the uk- if you're from the south maybe stay in Scotland, or go to the south coast somewhere if you live further north.

Still away from family but you could actually have your M&S Christmas (or similar) collected from the nearest store.

So long as you're a few hundred miles from potential guests, with nowhere for them to stay.....

WonderOnTheUp Thu 31-Dec-15 20:45:50

We went away for Christmas this year as I always host, beautiful cottage by the sea. It was so relaxing, we really enjoyed it, I did kind of miss the hustle and bustle though and will host Christmas again next year. I will few refreshed from my break this year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now