Saving for Christmas 2016

(31 Posts)
longdiling Mon 28-Dec-15 11:13:04

How do you do it? We've tried just putting it in a savings account before now but it always ends up being taken back out for emergencies or whatever. Are schemes such as Park any good?

Paperblank Mon 28-Dec-15 11:53:36

Do you have a local credit union? I stick 30 a month in my local one and take it out at Christmas.

Getting your money out is easy but it takes a few days to get into your account so not instant access.

I've never used Park so can't advise.

longdiling Mon 28-Dec-15 12:40:19

I'm not sure, I'll try and find out - good idea, cheers!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 28-Dec-15 14:52:08

We use a tin savings bank (the kind you need to open with a tin opener) to save £2 coins throughout the year.
This year we got £280 .

The disadvantage I can see with the schemes like Park, is you have your money tied away whereas if you have a savings account you can (in an emergency) access cash.

Look for one with a notice period , then you have to consider if you really want to (saves it being dipped into)

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 28-Dec-15 14:53:54

Oh, and Nectar or Clubcard .
I got over £300 Nectar points (mainly from Bonus Points to top up , but I do my main shoppping in Sainsburys anyway)

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Mon 28-Dec-15 17:31:56

We saved with park however I found it frustrating waiting for the vouchers which meant I missed out on certain offers.

This year I plan to set up a dd to a different account I rarely use so the money is there if I see good deals earlier in the year but not easily accessible smile

Oh2beatsea Mon 28-Dec-15 18:05:18

I always seem to have good intentions but seem to have an emergency during the year that wipes it out!! Going to try the tins this year but I'm going to keep a running total under the tin so I've got a rough idea of totals!!

Maybe83 Mon 28-Dec-15 18:10:47

I used park for the first time two years ago it was great. Placed mu order in January this year and forgot to set up the standing order! Only realised in July and so didn't save as much and we found this year much more stressful. My orders done and just about be be placed to start again in January. I don't really mind about missing offers I think that there s plenty of shops to choose and I'm just happy to have enough budgeted per person.

jamtartandcustard Mon 28-Dec-15 18:12:39

I used to use park when I was a single mum and would thoroughly recommend it. Would save for the high street vouchers via direct debit. Last 2 years it's been get out a new 0% interest credit card and worry about it come January blush really need to save properly this year.

ChristmasZombie Mon 28-Dec-15 18:12:59

Savings account and a standing order. I also save my Boots Advantage points all year.

longdiling Mon 28-Dec-15 22:34:24

Cheers all. I have been considering one of those money banks you have to break open as one of my customers pays me in cash so I could shove it in there every week. I worry about having too much cash in the house though. My husband isn't convinced by Park as you don't get interest do you?! We do save Tesco clubcard points through the year and this paid for a present for one of the children this year. Maybe a bank account is the best idea...in a seperate bank to the one our current accounts are in so we can't just pop online and transfer money over instantly.

Kitla Tue 29-Dec-15 12:33:21

I'm setting up a savings account this year. Been meaning to do it for many years, but I'm going to be good this year :-)

I also managed to save £250 in points last year. Nectar, Boots, TopCashback and rewards from my bank all added up... I save them all for Christmas and that really helped.

I used to do vouchers and then got them back at Christmas, but then Farepack went under so don't do that now and reluctant to do that again. So will probably do bank account. £50 quid a month :-)

Star2015 Tue 29-Dec-15 18:29:47

My friend at work runs a savings club, I pay her £50 a month and she gives it me back in November... May be worth asking if anyone does this... I trust my friend implicitly, I guess you have to. Good luck!

princessconsuelabannahammock Tue 29-Dec-15 18:48:17

I am doing Park for the first time. I always try to save but there is always a reason why i need to dip into it mid year. Hoping this works as i am fed up being skint in the months leading up to and after xmas. Usually in the summer i have spare cash from my little home business but by winter its gone so i am hoping this is the solution. Will update next year!

KinkyDorito Tue 29-Dec-15 21:06:35

I'm sticking it into a savings account and hoping I don't falter and spend it... blush.

Might put it into one not directly linked to online bank account.

chanie44 Wed 30-Dec-15 06:46:43

I buy as I go. I get presents throughout the year and buy when I see offers and sales and save more than a high interest account as the stuff I buy can be 50% cheaper.

Once I've bought it, it's done and unlike cash, I can't spend it.

anyoldname76 Wed 30-Dec-15 09:02:14

i always save with park for christmas, if you run it yourself you do get a bit of commission, i only run it for me and my mum though, i don't like the hassle of having too many people to pay in for. i also save £3 a week on an asda card and £1.50 a week on an iceland card. i know if i saved that money in my savings account i would dip into it

georgie22 Wed 30-Dec-15 09:12:45

We save £60 a month via standing order into a savings account not linked to our main bank account and just don't touch the money until we get the credit card bill in January.

longdiling Wed 30-Dec-15 21:11:52

Cheers once again. I commend you for your organisational skills Chania - I can't imagine trying to work out what my kids might want for next christmas before about November!!

I'm definitely going to save. I just need to decide which way now! I really do like the idea of Park though.

Xenadog Thu 31-Dec-15 14:53:07

I saw this idea recently and it was to: buy gift cards from supermarkets and stores where you are likely to buy gifts from such as Next or Boots. Each pay day buy a £10.00 - £50.00 gift card then store them together throughout the year. I really like this idea and will consider dang it myself.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Thu 31-Dec-15 15:00:18

Thats a great idea xena, might try that one this year - I tend to do most of mine on amazon so would be handy. Would need to make sure I had a super safe unforgettable place to store them though! smile

FortyFacedFuckers Thu 31-Dec-15 15:16:13

I used to do parks but I do most of my shopping online now so vouchers were no good now I give my dad £100 a month from Jan - October and he keeps if for me. I also have a separate bank account that at the end of the month if I have ££ left in my current account I transfer into the separate account which I use for holidays, Christmas etc

Bonkerz Thu 31-Dec-15 15:19:34

Have done park for 2 years running now and it works great for us.
Last year Started with £10 a week and got £450 in vouchers in November
This year I did £15 a week and got £675 in vouchers (bought DD a new bed with excess)
Next year have ordered £450 on a card and £450 in vouchers so £20 a week.

It works better for me than a savings account because I cannot get at the money till Nov! It would be too tempting to dip into the Christmas pot during the year otherwise

figureofspeech Thu 31-Dec-15 17:57:16

I sell stuff on eBay throughout the year and won't touch the money until December. That helps as it doesn't feel like my money iyswim. I also buy premium bonds in bundles of £50/£100 and cash in when I need them. Premium bonds are a good way of saving as you can't easily access the money. could you set up a regular standing order to buy premium bonds?

chanie44 Thu 31-Dec-15 18:06:28

Long - i buy main presents nearer the time.

I buy stocking fillers throughout the year, things like books, games, craft sets etc.

I also buy for family members, particularly the children as it's quite easy to buy something fairly generic eg superheroes, princesses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now