Talk

Advanced search

Anybody else's xmas eve not going to plan

(25 Posts)
lollyj84 Thu 24-Dec-15 12:47:10

I had a plan today to get up before DCs and do a quick tidy, have breakfast with kids watch some tv bake biscuits. What actually happend is i slept til 9, trying to tidy while kids watch tv and entertain themselves. Toddler has peed all over sofa so have had to clean that and put a wash on. Nobody is dressed and haven't even thought about baking yet.
Trying not to care and think Oh well but not working.

kelda Thu 24-Dec-15 12:49:21

Mine. Ds ended up in hospital at the start of this week and they carried out a lumbar puncture. That was bad enough but he now has a post lumbar puncture headache and has to lie down as flat as possible.

Supposed to be going to a family party this evening and driving to my parents this weekend - had to cancel the last trip because of his hospital admissions - and am now terrified we will have to cancel everything.

NickNacks Thu 24-Dec-15 12:49:52

Blimey how do you sleep until 9am with a toddler?

Have a Baileys and put some music on, what gets done will be done and what doesn't, doesn't.

SafariOrigami Thu 24-Dec-15 12:54:40

Sort of not going to plan but I am not really caring either. Woke up at about
9 (first lie in in weeks!) then dealt with a boring work call (wasn't very helpful to the person who 'forgot' they were supposed to collect keys yesterday and then expected me to go to town today to hand them over hmm)

Dh kindly brought me coffee and toast in bed so I cuddled dd and we chatted for half an hour.

Dd is all bunged up with a cold and really didn't want to get dressed and go out so despite thae fact that we were planning on picking up our turkey and having a hot chocolate in town - dd and I stayed at home and dh is braving the throngs alone.

Once he gets back I will make lunch and we will light the fire and cozy up. I am cooking the ham and macaoni cheese for dinner later -yay!

This is one of the most relaxed christmas eve's we have had in YEARS as we have no guests this year. I am not even dressed grin

I am going with the flow today as we are on the road all day tomorrow - dinner with family with a 3 hour drive each way.....groan....

Chchchchangeabout Thu 24-Dec-15 12:54:50

Yep. In A and E with newborn.

lollyj84 Thu 24-Dec-15 12:55:53

DH got them up and gave them breakfast and left me in bed til he left for work.
Bailleys is a good idea.
Kelda how old is Ds? I hope he ok.
x

SafariOrigami Thu 24-Dec-15 12:56:24

kelda I really hope your ds is ok? That sounds serious and no fun for any of you. Poor ds!

SafariOrigami Thu 24-Dec-15 12:58:17

Oh god chchch hope your baby is ok and that you don't have to stay in? This thread puts it all in perspective really doesn't it? Who cares about the small stuff once everyone is healthy. Wishing speedy recoveries to all the unwell dc

lollyj84 Thu 24-Dec-15 13:02:28

Agree with Safari- as long as everybody well, nothing else really matter.
Chchca hope your baby is ok

Mine isn't going well as we've go elsewhere to my mums and one of my 3 year old twins has got a tummy bug, poor little tike. Also not getting on brilliantly with my dh which is a bit tense, especially at my mums.

The lumbar puncture and A&E trip are putting it into perspective though. Hope both the DS and newborn are okay. And that my other 3 yo and 5 yo escape for Christmas.

kelda Thu 24-Dec-15 13:18:04

Chchchchangeabout hope your baby gets well soon fsmile

My ds has epilepsy, with complications. They are not really sure of the cause hence the tests. Fourth hospital admission in two months.

kelda Thu 24-Dec-15 13:18:55

Toddlers with tummy bugs at Christmas time = not fun.

I have the Bailey's in the fridge santa

soundsystem Thu 24-Dec-15 13:22:29

DH is ill and is making quite a performance of it, which means my prep. is going slower than planned, as one-year-old DD is "helping". My mum and sister messaged me 30 mins ago to say they're in a cab and to put the kettle on... Still no sign (their last known location is 15 mins from my house so who knows!)

I think it's a reasonable time to open some prosecco?

Hurr1cane Thu 24-Dec-15 13:24:22

Post lumber puncture headaches! I feel your pain sad DS had one in November last year. Lasted two weeks and he totally refused any food or drink so we had to stay in hospital. The poor lad having it at Christmas.

waitingforsomething Thu 24-Dec-15 13:33:30

Mine isn't going to plan! Dh went to collect the xmas order from m&s and smashed the cake on the way home...! So I am furiously baking although I am a bit crap!
Dd is being whiny and wants to play picnics all day
Baby DS has decided to have a very bad nap day so I haven't made my red cabbage and apple that I planned to do this morning.

bantamgirl Thu 24-Dec-15 13:38:16

Mine very nearly didn't go to plan.

"Muuummmm x-box isn't working...." (existing x-box of many years age)

I was like (hyperventilating) ARRGGHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO I'VE GOT YOU THREE GAMES FOR THE DAMN THING AT A COST OF ALMOST £100 - CHRISTMAS WILL BE RUINED!!

But thankfully he'd just plugged something into the wrong hole. Or not plugged something in properly.

kelda Thu 24-Dec-15 14:27:17

That sounds worse Hurr1cane. My ds lies down, feels better, starts running around again, and then the headache comes back.

kelda Thu 24-Dec-15 14:30:13

Hurr1cane Ds spent his birthday in hospital so I am determined he is going to get a good Christmas. Even if it;s the last thing I feel like celebrating.

Washediris Thu 24-Dec-15 14:36:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

elQuintoConyo Thu 24-Dec-15 14:39:13

I'm on the sofa with tonsilitis. Tomorrow and 26th have been postponed until next week (hosting both days). DH will take DS for breakfadt at grandad's tomorrow after he has opened his stocking. Then pizza lunch just thd 3 of us and open tree presents. I may or may not get out of my pyjamas...

flowers for every sick child, and/or sick adult.

MrsFrankRicard Thu 24-Dec-15 16:04:15

I'm a bit hungover, that was not part of the plan wine

SpellBookandCandle Thu 24-Dec-15 16:08:49

Just feeling grumpy and out of sortish..DH and I are snapping at each other. Dd buzzing about house like small whirlwind. Off to drive to mum's soon, hope our tempers improve...

Millionprammiles Thu 24-Dec-15 17:55:04

Well dd (3 yrs old) threw up everywhere after the end of a long car journey then didn't sleep till after midnight (but was up at 7am) so has been a delight all day.
Her older cousins have decided they're too grown up for her so she's been left out and in tears.
I've been helping MIL and receiving guests so haven't been able to play much with her so she's spent much of the day on TV/iPad and behaviour has been beyond terrible.

Oh and dp who was (genuinely I thought) too ill with flu to take her out then pissed off to the pub with a friend for 3 hours.

If I didn't like my MIL so much I'd pack up and head home. Merry bloody Xmas! Now where's that gin...

Chchchchangeabout Thu 24-Dec-15 18:04:21

Thanks all for well wishes, all seems ok fingers crossed, thoughts for all having a tough time

chelle792 Thu 24-Dec-15 18:09:43

Sounds like some of you guys are having a rough time of it.

I'm supposed to be baking but nan has said she wants a Chinese tonight so dh has been to Asda crazy and has now taken over the kitchen. There goes my veggie prep and baking. Neighbour just popped in and shared a few glasses of wine with me. Good job I'm pissed not bothered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now