Talk

Advanced search

Worth doing a Wellington for the first time?

(6 Posts)
Sammy1888 Thu 24-Dec-15 08:23:19

Bought a nice expensive roasting joint of beef yesterday with the aim of turning it into a Wellington for Christmas dinner. Forgot to buy pastry, though I can get DP to pick some up, but I'm now wondering if it's a bad idea to make Wellington for the first time ever on Christmas Day? It is very difficult? Can much go wrong?--
--
Any Wellington tips? Or shall I not bother?

sooperdooper Thu 24-Dec-15 08:25:00

I've made it once before and it's just quite a long process, if you've got enough time then go for it but if you're going to be pushed then I'd leave it for another time

Christmascheerful Thu 24-Dec-15 08:26:59

Dh wanted beef wellington for tonight (were going to a resturant tomorrow...) mil kept saying how EASY it is to cook beef wellington...but I got it from Aldi...

When I looked into the recipie it seemed fiddly and tine consuming. If you go for it please let us know how it goes smile

BondJayneBond Thu 24-Dec-15 08:28:22

Personally, I wouldn't attempt any important recipe for the first time on Christmas Day. It's a bad time to mess up your main course, and I like to have tried cooking things a few times before doing them for special meals so I'm sure I know what I'm doing.

I'm pretty sure I saw big beef Wellingtons ready to cook in the freezer section at Tesco yesterday.

ApplesinmyPocket Thu 24-Dec-15 09:08:06

I always make Wellington for Christmas Eve, but always with a fillet of beef - if yours is a roasting joint it will be nicer just roasted, wasn't clear from your post which you have.

Wellington is only a little bit fiddly and looks very special as if you worked on it for hours fsmile and you can do some things in advance.

Express version:

In the morning or whenever it suits, turn the fillet of beef in sizzling butter in a pan for a few minutes until nice and brown, don't forget the two ends.

Pop, with the melted butter from the pan, into a hot oven for 10 mins.

Leave to cool. Season with salt and pepper. You can spread the top with liver pate or chopped fried mushrooms or your preferred filling if you like. Then wrap in bought puff pastry (sheets are easiest). Seal the join with beaten egg (save the rest) and turn over with the sealed bit underneath so you have a smooth top.

It can be left at this stage until you need it.

OK, dinner time! Wash the top with rest of the beaten egg and lay a few pastry shapes along the centre to decorate, tiny leaves look nice.

Put in a hot oven for 40 mins which should give a nice medium rare result. Let it rest a little while before carving into slices.

Hope it works out if you go for it!

Sammy1888 Thu 24-Dec-15 09:39:39

Oh! I bought the wrong bit of beef?! blush looks like plain old roast beef for us then! Thanks for the recipe though, maybe I will give it a go on NYD smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now