Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

And so it starts. Please help me to get through Christmas without feeling the need to cause harm to someone

(17 Posts)
StrumpersPlunkett Thu 24-Dec-15 00:06:00

Guests have arrived.
I am trying not to get riled . But I am.
I have provided food planned prepped shopped etc. Once again even though they were specifically told I was catering they have bought their own food, utensils for the kitchen and basically filled my kitchen with all their crap and tomorrow when I pick up the butchers order and greengrocer order there is nowhere for me to put it as they have filled the fucking fridge!!!!
Sorry. Needed to get that off my chest. DH doesnt see the issue I need to relax let go of my months of planning and preparation and go with the flow.
Am finding it hard.
Prayers
Rescue remedy
Valium
Gin
Spade and hole in the garden got disposal of evidence feel like the trajectory we are heading
May be a tad over dramatic.
Need more sleep
Sorry to ramble

X

indecisivedoctor Thu 24-Dec-15 00:26:16

Sympathies. Christmas guests arriving this early is EXCESSIVE and ANNOYING. I can really only tolerate people for 8-12 hours so if you come for dinner you either go that night or early next morn.

Start digging the holes in the garden now.

Clobbered Thu 24-Dec-15 00:28:01

Suggest send DH to Currys for overflow fridge. See how chilled(groan) he feels about that!

KP86 Thu 24-Dec-15 00:30:38

They brought their own utensils??! Crazy gits.

I would tell them your fridge is full of the food YOU paid for and they should have brought an esky/cooler for theirs. Or chuck it outside, it is winter, after all.

Ha!

SuburbanRhonda Thu 24-Dec-15 00:35:14

Are these family members or "friends"?

Zucker Thu 24-Dec-15 00:38:26

Why would they bring their own utensils? When you do pick up the meat order bring it into your home and hand it straight to your husband to put away. Pour yourself a drink and watch his calm self struggle with the fridge.

Are these helpful folks his family by any chance?

Squishyeyeballs Thu 24-Dec-15 08:20:59

Ooh lots of gin for you op. I'm guessing they are inlaws and could be wildly wrong , they are the only people I can imagine having the nerve to bring their own utensils fconfused I second the idea of the overflow fridge or icebox, send dh to argos or currys. And remember, at the end of the day, it's only a dinner, nobody will starve, and if it all went smoothly and to plan then it would be boring and no-one will remember it fgrin

Deep breaths and plenty of wine

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 24-Dec-15 10:31:36

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< tiptoes in, I fear I might be one of those guests>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fblush

When I go to my parents house I take a potato peeler , a sharp knife and a non stick pan.
My Mum has loads of them (about 5 peelers at the last count) but they don't bloody work

She doesn't cook (that's my defence)

My DDad fills my fridge with all sorts of food and leftovers - but our houserule is THEY MUST BE WRAPPED OR IN A CONTAINER
How many fecking times have I seen a sad fishfinger on a plate in the fridge .

Strumper dig while the ground is soft, not a court in the land would convict you.

StrumpersPlunkett Thu 24-Dec-15 11:47:37

Oooooh thanks for being kind.
I have worried about coming back as truly not up for a confrontation about it on here as well!

Yes in laws. They have form but were given very very clear instructions that all meals had been planned and no we don't need anything. We wanted to spoil them let them relax.

Hmm
So the homemade quiche I made for lunch today has gone into the freezer as they are now cooking something else for lunch.
She is at work till about 5
Not going to dig a hole but am going to pickle my liver:-)

StrumpersPlunkett Thu 24-Dec-15 12:25:08

Dh not she!

OurBlanche Thu 24-Dec-15 12:34:01

Seethe quietly.

In the new year remind DH that your best intentions were thrown back at you, you simply cannot effectively 'spoil' his parents and so want him to devise a different solution. One that allows you to enjoy yourself. Do this in January, so he has a clear memory of this year and most of next year to come up with a solution.

Meantime, pickling your liver sounds good. Let the PILs get on with it.

Sorry, that probably wasn't what you wanted to hear. But your only other option is to shout a bit and staple them to the sofa smile

(Now worries that Strumpers is rifling the drawers for a staple gun)

newtonupontheheath Thu 24-Dec-15 12:35:26

Sounds like my inlaws.

Own food, own utensils, own Tupperware (for both bringing and taking leftovers) own cooking. Sometimes in the middle of the night.

Luckily we're not seeing them til the 30th and they're not coming here at all grin

StrumpersPlunkett Thu 24-Dec-15 12:39:30

Ohhhhhh I love a staple gun. A little thrill every time.
Thanks for being kind. Off to make mince pies for the big FC with tiddlies.

Squishyeyeballs Thu 24-Dec-15 13:22:28

wine Here's to pickling your liver fgrin The cheek of them! Do they genuinely mean well and think that they are helping by bringing food or is it a disguised attempt to control/manipulate/complain? Either way, I would be having strong words with dh to keep them in line!

StrumpersPlunkett Fri 25-Dec-15 12:47:09

Brace yourselves for the highs and lows.
Amazing gift from dh.
In laws bought one son an amazing gift and didn't buy the other anything at all. angry

Everhopeful Sun 27-Dec-15 21:25:30

fgrin Strumpers - I want to hear the end of this story, having similar inlaws of my own! No way will they ever come to me though. Sometimes that makes me sad, other times I am SOOOO grateful I could cry! Coped this year by escaping at the first opportunity....

StrumpersPlunkett Sun 27-Dec-15 22:48:41

Everhopeful
We had trauma but came through
my Christmas was saved by mn'ers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now