Talk

Advanced search

Who else is in panic mode thinking they haven't bought enough presents?

(21 Posts)
Sonicandknuckles Wed 23-Dec-15 22:45:13

Every bastard year! It doesnt matter how many i buy, how much i spend i always, always end up in a huge panic thinking its just not enough.
Even though, i keep trying to tell myself its not about the amount of gifts...it still happens!

Iflyaway Wed 23-Dec-15 22:49:46

Well, I haven't bought any presents at all this year for Christmas.

Cos I prefer to give a gift when it suits me during the year.

Not at all in panic mode. Cos it's just big business/advertising putting on the guilt if you wanna buy into that.

AnnaMarlowe Wed 23-Dec-15 22:52:50

Not enough for what?

Who are these gifts for?

Make a budget, write a lift working out what you are going to get, stick to that.

Sonicandknuckles Wed 23-Dec-15 22:53:40

That is exactly what it is. I hate the worry that much i wish i could do what you do, but the kids love the whole santa thing.

IamFatherChristmasNOTsanta Wed 23-Dec-15 22:57:36

no, i think i have gone too far this year fblush

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Thu 24-Dec-15 08:55:36

I had the opposite thinking I had bought too much for the kids. Definitely reining it in next year.

Dp ive only bought 4 small things so feel bad about that.

flanjabelle Thu 24-Dec-15 08:58:22

I think I have gone over the top for dd, but scrimped elsewhere. Luckily my family agree that Christmas is for the kids really (re gift giving) and would rather I did it this way.

BrandNewAndImproved Thu 24-Dec-15 09:03:18

Yes usually every year but as I wrapped yesterday and the day before I can see they have loads.

I'm twitching about my dms presents now. She's bought us a nt pass, plus money and a few bits and bobs for the dc and she's hosting and spent loads on that. I've got a bottle of barefoot wine for her and cider for my step dad then a picture clock that I've put photos in, a laura ashley body cream and a box of tangfastics. It doesnt feel enough.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Thu 24-Dec-15 09:10:56

we've got quite a conservative number of packages by my usual chavvy standards, but each of the DC has the three items they asked for on their lists, so I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

PhoebeMcPeePee Thu 24-Dec-15 11:04:58

Me! I just Completely forgot a couple of things - a present for BIL (despite knowing what I was getting weeks ago), after shave and stocking fillers for DH. Dreading town but can't have gifts for everyone except bil and the kids will be really confused if their daddy doesn't have a stocking and the rest of us do.

DH stocking filler ideas under a tenner please...

PhoebeMcPeePee Thu 24-Dec-15 11:13:35

I clearly need to RTFT as I've just realised this thread is about not having enough presents rather than who haven't you bought for blush. We're reasonably retrained on present buying even for DC as they have so many generous relatives. Me & DH buy each other a couple of gifts (I've got him a cookbook, jumper and electric razor) and DC have a joint present of Disney Infinity then each has book, puzzle, a small game (dobble, bananagram and top trumps) and a selection box.

It's not masses but one set of gps are buying bikes (shock) and the other those big dirt-buggy remote control cars plus with 9 sets of aunts & uncles they do pretty bloody well.

SitsOnFence Thu 24-Dec-15 11:48:08

I tend to swing between worrying I have bought our DC too much and will grow up spoilt, wasteful and entitled, to worrying that I've been too stingy when we could afford more and putting my adult feelings and politics ahead of my DC's happiness.

I'm currently 50-50 between the two, so conclude I have probably got it spot on fgrin

Sonicandknuckles Thu 24-Dec-15 12:05:04

Sitsonfence - thats what im like! Only im stuck in the feeling stingy mode ha.

I have been extremely stressed and irritable today with all of the stupid worrying over it. Im trying to get into the mindset of 'fuck it'. If they dont like them, then sod it. I will cancel next years christmas lol. Deep down, i think they will. I just need to believe that so i can actually enjoy christmas myself, even if only a tiny bit!

Flangeshrub Thu 24-Dec-15 12:15:34

Sitsonfence me too! Swinging between the two minute by minute.
Obviously got it right this year!

twirlypoo Thu 24-Dec-15 12:18:04

Me! I have cut back loads and now, looking at it, im worried I have gone too far.

Worse still though, I've just had a chat with my mums foster kids and found they have got her nothing angry I am seething, and now rushing them over to boots so they can buy her a last minute gift. Apparently they were too busy.... Grrrrr!

bantamgirl Thu 24-Dec-15 13:48:55

Me too! DS2 (12) has just counted his and seems disappointed there are "only" 11. I had to explain and say as you get older the presents end up costing more, so there just looks to be less. (there's 13 + 3 money wallets actually). I was even thinking of hiding the presents around the house to try and string it out a bit longer.

Me. Also because we didn't think about it properly so DD is getting a slyvanian house (eBay bargain) and a micro scooter and the dts.... Micro machine play set each (eBay again) more train track and stations (yet more ebay) and....stocking fillers. We had bought a carrera (scaletrix type thing) for them but have decided at only 3 (not 4 til April) they're too young for it. They are getting remote control cars from PIL though but I'm worried they'll notice dd has more from us.

OrangeNoodle Thu 24-Dec-15 13:57:01

I got the fear this morning and twitched. Extra gifts for the DCs and DH. And more Christmas food.

I must not leave the house again!

twirlypoo Thu 24-Dec-15 19:35:03

I have started putting the wrapped presents under the tree and have now swung the other way to feeling like we have too much again - Ds has the ikea kitchen off his dad, and it makes it look like there's loads under the tree. Dunno what I will do when he's older and the prezzies get smaller but more expensive!

CharleyDavidson Thu 24-Dec-15 19:49:25

I'm fine for tomorrow.

But we see MIL and her sister a few days later, when they are back from their festive break.

They buy all year, bits and pieces and when we arrive their living room is like Santa's grotto. And she buys almost as much for the adults as for the kids. We will have about 8 gifts each. At least.

So we try and make their budget stretch to several things, but can never match what they've bought. And they don't want much so it's difficult.

MIL declared this month that it's the last year for presents and when the dcs are both in high school next year, then it's money instead of gifts.

SIL buys MIL and her sister one gift each. That's fine, but I can't bring myself to do that when they shower us with gifts each year.

CakeNinja Thu 24-Dec-15 22:00:24

I always wonder if i go overboard with presents and so plan to get a few and a couple of extras. Then think, fuck it, it's Christmas and I'll spoil them rotten so do.
They are lovely well rounded and undemanding children so I don't think I've ruined them by showering them with gifts one day a year.
We also both have enormous families who buy for the Dc (we buy for them too, my list is 45 people long!) so they get properly spoiled.
I care not a jot if it's frowned upon, it's how we do it.
Dps on the same page as me, it's Christmas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now