Talk

Advanced search

Warming up a pre-cooked turkey?

(14 Posts)
KitKat1985 Wed 23-Dec-15 20:50:57

Hi. Silly question, I was going to get DH to cook the turkey tomorrow (Christmas eve) as we are going to be short of time on Christmas day (we are going to be out until early afternoon visiting my family, but would like Christmas dinner at about 5pm as otherwise it will be too late for DD (she's 15 months). Obviously after it's cooked we are going to have to refrigerate it but how do we warm it on Christmas day? Do we put it in the oven again for half an hour? Or can we just shove it in the microwave for a couple of minutes?

Sorry it's the first Christmas dinner I've ever cooked so I'm confused!

KitKat1985 Wed 23-Dec-15 20:54:58

Sorry just seen there's a near identical thread further down the Christmas message board. Sorry.

snowypenguin Wed 23-Dec-15 20:59:25

If put it in a tray, cover in gravy and warm through in oven.

U2HasTheEdge Wed 23-Dec-15 20:59:31

In the gravy smile

Keeps it moist.

U2HasTheEdge Wed 23-Dec-15 21:00:05

I never thought about putting it in the oven covered in gravy.

Much better than doing it the gravy saucepan!

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 23-Dec-15 21:03:58

Yy to slicing it up and heating it up with gravy in the oven. Make sure you heat it up where it's hot and not just warm please.

KitKat1985 Wed 23-Dec-15 21:22:46

Okay thank you. How long (roughly) do you think it would need to warm through? 30 mins? I like the gravy tip thank you ladies!

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 23-Dec-15 22:27:19

I shove mine in the slow cooker in gravy when I am prepping the roasts etc and it's ready to serve whenever everything else is and it frees up the oven for all the rest of the stuff.

nbee84 Wed 23-Dec-15 22:31:51

I like to make my gravy on the day using the water from the veg. I would refrigerate the juices from the turkey so that I can take of the layer of fat and warm the turkey with chicken stock over it. This stock would then go into my gravy.

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 23-Dec-15 22:39:01

I make proper gravy on Christmas eve when I cook the Turkey - then the carcass for stock to make soup on Christmas morning.

I ordered a smaller turkey this year ( and it's arrived and it's really titchy) as DS1 doesn't like gravy so he ends up with a turkey leg heated in the oven but it's a bit dry. I also therefore ordered a ham as he is okay with the honey glaze stuff poured on the meat. He also doesn't eat potatoes but that's another story.... However when I was doing my shop they had legs of lamb at half price so I bought one of those too, it's use by date is the 26th and I have no room in my freezer.... Going to be a bit of a meat fest unless I just tell DS1 that he is having lamb for Christmas day as the ham as a longer date. Decisions decisions....grin

gamerchick Wed 23-Dec-15 22:42:45

I use the gravey. Although as much as I like the slow cooker idea, slow cookers do not reheat fast enough to kill any bugs.

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 23-Dec-15 22:54:51

Doesn't it depend how hot it gets too gamer? I've been doing that for years and we've always been fine. Mine has a fair bubble going on before it's served.

gamerchick Wed 23-Dec-15 23:10:53

I don't know. I only know that bugs need to be cooked out quickly and it's not advised to use a slow cooker for that just in case.

If it was a dish that had been made the day before I may risk it. One that was a couple of days old I may not.

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 23-Dec-15 23:19:33

I think i'll carry on - I've just read the info on it and it also recommends not cooking whole joints/chickens in it too - actually if you follow the rules there probably isn't that much you can cook in it smile

Mine is generally in there for hours bubbling away - I am happy that it's hot enough. I do a repeat on boxing day too. The meat itself is cooked thoroughly in the first place and cooled, carved and stored properly covered in the fridge. I'm happy with that. I've been doing it for 5 or 6 years and we are all still here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now