Talk

Advanced search

Sack for gifts, or just a nice pile under tree?

(17 Posts)
AbbyCadabby Wed 23-Dec-15 18:02:48

Can't decide!
Seen some lovely personalised hessian sacks, but not sure if the gifts from Santa will have more of an impact in a little pile under the tree, or in a nice sack that we can reuse every year?
Will also have a stocking of bits and pieces at the foot of the bed.
Santa brings four small gifts, if that makes a difference to your opinion! (want, need, wear, read)
We then have a few gifts from us (parents) and the GPs, so there will be those under the tree.

What do you do and why?

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 23-Dec-15 18:04:54

We leave pillow cases which get filled with presents and usually the bigger ones on the floor. Stockings by the chimney.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Wed 23-Dec-15 18:06:37

Ours only get one present from FC and they are left on the hearth. Their presents from us (also want, need, wear, read!) go in a small sack each, made by me two years ago.

GossamerApronStrings Wed 23-Dec-15 18:23:21

We mix all the presents for everyone, from everyone(including Santa), in a big jumbled pile under the tree...there's excitement as we dig through the piled up presents figuring out what's for who, etc... "Oh look, here's a big one for DD and a funny shaped one for DS, wonder what they could be....?!?"

The sacks do look lovely, but I'd be afraid of how odd they could look as DD moves into liking teeny tiny things and DS likes bigger odd shaped stuff... They still don't quite grasp how the size or number of items wrapped doesn't equate to money spent, iykwim...

hazeyjane Wed 23-Dec-15 18:35:48

big random pile. santa presents all piled in, and we can't even remember which ones we bought, and which ones are from santa - silly us!

jamtartandcustard Wed 23-Dec-15 18:38:38

A big pile under the tree here. I like sacks but think they are only good for young children who receive large presents. As my oldest is almost 12, her presents are an awful lot smaller then those of the youngest who is 3 even though they are of the same value.
I think I would feel too much pressure to "fill them up" with useless and unwanted junk just because a phone or kindle or whatever makes a sack look really empty.

SatsukiKusakabe Wed 23-Dec-15 19:12:33

I had a personalised sack growing up so like the idea, but we do stockings as per dh's upbringing. Stocking and FC present at foot of bed, presents from us in separate piles in the middle of the room (going off message but these are want want want want read read read read fgrin)

My ds likes the pile I think because he spends some time arranging and looking at them all before opening them all in 'order' so not sure if a sack would kibosh this.

AbbyCadabby Wed 23-Dec-15 20:20:39

Thanks for the input. Yes, am thinking that though the sacks look lovely, they could look empty with small gifts, or indeed not fit a large gift in, so I'd be restricting myself. Am already feeling I've restricted things sticking to the want need wear read thing. fgrin @ want want want want read read read! Need was hard as they don't really need anything, feels a bit tenuous.
Now to decide whether to do the obvious separate piles of gifts from us vs the ones from Santa, or one big mixed pile. I have wrapped them in one paper from Santa, and the lot from us are in different paper.

GoooRooo Wed 23-Dec-15 20:41:20

We use pillow cases for Santa's presents. Presents from everyone else are already under the tree. My three year old has been very retrained and not touched them even though he'd seen a MASSIVE box from Nanny in Mickey Mouse paper. I have no idea what it is. Another massive toy we don't have room for <ungrateful grumble>

BlueStarsAtNight Wed 23-Dec-15 23:13:20

We do stockings by the bed, with one or 2 bigger presents from Father Christmas on the floor by the stockings, and these are opened on our bed as soon as they are awake, then presents from us under the tree.

PantsOfGold Wed 23-Dec-15 23:57:21

Stockings at the foot of the bed to keep the little blighters occupied when they wake up and bigger presents under the tree. I bought two hessian sacks a couple of years ago but never used them in the end.

nooka Thu 24-Dec-15 00:12:55

I think either sack or stocking, but not both. My two have Christmas bags that I bought a long long time ago just because I thought they were lovely. I do slightly regret their size (about a third of a pillow case) now that they are teenagers!

All other presents under tree, arranged tastefully smile I do miss having Christmas with lots of family as then the pile was fairly enormous. With just the four of us and other presents sent in the post it's always a bit underwhelming. We've never done Santa so no need for present segregation.

CharleyDavidson Thu 24-Dec-15 00:33:25

We have a stocking on the bed upstairs.

Then a pillow case sized sack under the tree. Even though the DDs are older and didn't want anything bulky, they also didn't ask for anything in particular this year, so they have a sack full of smaller (and cheaper) things that they will find useful or entertaining.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Thu 24-Dec-15 08:52:23

We have a stocking full of bits and a gift or 2 from santa in their room to wake up to. (This year giant Disney store teddy each, minecraft game and playdough for dd1. space hopper and turtle teddy for dd2)

Then later on once we've had breakfast, dinner is on and we are all ready I bring out pressies from us. This year Ive bought big reusable bags each from the entertainer. DD1 has a sack but I somehow forgot to order one for dd2 so wont use this year but she will have one for next year grin

I remember as a child loving having a bag to put all my gifts in to keep them separate from everything else for a little while.

Hulababy Thu 24-Dec-15 08:53:47

All under the tree, mixed up.

One Santa gift left out, unwrapped with elf dust around it. All ready to okay with/use.

SerenityReynolds Thu 24-Dec-15 08:56:51

Ours get a small stocking on their bed from Santa. Also one present from us. All other presents go under the tree.

MumOfGorgeousness Thu 24-Dec-15 09:04:27

If you get sacks you cal roll/fold the tops over. They look less spacious that way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now