Talk

Advanced search

hospital and son and Christmas.

(26 Posts)
HuckfromScandal Tue 22-Dec-15 18:45:54

Ds was rushed into hospital last night after a day of being really unwell with what I thought was a stomach bug.

He is now one appendix lighter, and after being really poorly last night and this morning - he is now very definitely in the mend.
However - I have 8 people coming for Christmas dinner, I have done no cleaning, no shopping and no prep.

At the moment it will be chickpea curry from the freezer whilst I sleep at the top of the table.
Tell me I am going to get it all done in time.

He will hopefully be discharged tomorrow. And if I discover that this is all just a cunning ploy to avoid the Christmas Day walk - I may be a tad annoyed wink

PotteringAlong Tue 22-Dec-15 18:49:16

Firstly I'm really glad he's ok flowers

Can you afford to throw money at the problem? By lots of prepped veg and just have that to cut out a job?

Don't worry about cleaning; everyone is chuffed to have your DS there and no one cares about a bit of clutter cover the worst in tinsel

AuntieStella Tue 22-Dec-15 18:49:42

Curry and a nap sounds exactly right!

More seriously, who do you have coming, and can one or more of them help out (in a genuinely useful and will clear up after themselves as they go along sort of way)?

Hope he continues on the mend, and is home as expected!

ChristmasZombie Tue 22-Dec-15 18:51:21

What a shame! I'm glad your ds is on the mend, though.
Are you able to shop tomorrow? I'd prioritise the food shop, I think. Go early if you can. Get stuff that doesn't require too much preparation on your part.
Cleaning can be done on Thursday, if necessary.

HalfStar Tue 22-Dec-15 18:54:15

I agree with throwing money at the issue, any to be spared. Any teenager you could pay to clean with you while your ds watches a movie? Send someone to m&s with a list. Don't go near the shops yourself.
Please do try to get that nap. I have any idea of how knackered you are as have been in that situation - you do really need some rest yourself too.

HuckfromScandal Tue 22-Dec-15 19:00:04

Money will be thrown at it I think.
What I think I will do
Leave hospital at 8.30
Aldi - for as much as I can get
followed by Tesco for as much as I can get there.
List of everything I haven't got when I get home.
Crash
Hospital am - have promised him a MacDonalds brekkie - such a rare treat in this house!!
Hopefully discharged
Head home

And go back out to shops once his sis is home from her job.

We also have theatre tickets for Priscilla queen of the desert for tomorrow. I can't get through on the phone to change them, but that's not gonna happen!!

But yep, just so grateful he is ok.
And grateful I didn't fob it off as a stomach bug.

HuckfromScandal Tue 22-Dec-15 19:00:56

And lots of candles on Christmas Day so people can't see the dust smilesmile

Penfold007 Tue 22-Dec-15 19:02:54

If I had been invited to your house and this medical emergency occurred my only thought would be for your DS.
I wouldn't expect you or DS to be up to Christmas hosting. If you still went ahead I would expect to bring lots of ready cooked contributions to the feast and I luffs chickpea curry.

Sirzy Tue 22-Dec-15 19:09:04

If you have 8 people coming then delegate some of the jobs to them!

HuckfromScandal Tue 22-Dec-15 19:14:30

If only it were that easy
My gran - 88
My mum and dad (mum will help, but dad very disabled)
Stepsister and husband - who arrive from overseas the day before.
And me and my two. Ds - and DD who is working ever hour god sends in retail

We will get there.
Seriously - just hlad he is ok.
But slightly stressed!!

Badders123 Tue 22-Dec-15 19:17:50

M and s.
Get all the stuff you can just shove in the oven and heat (saves on washing up too!)
So glad Ds is ok X

ChristmasZombie Tue 22-Dec-15 19:35:31

Do you need to go to Aldi and Tesco? Would it be better to just go to Tesco and save yourself a trip?

Re: theatre tickets
Christmas 2012 we had top price tickets to see American Idiot, the Green Day musical. Booked about 18 months in advance. It turned out to be the date DD1 was due. And was snowing heavily. We didn't go. We sold the tickets on Gumtree.
Tldr: sell the tickets on a local site.

FireflyGirl Tue 22-Dec-15 20:10:35

Glad to hear DS is on the mend. You've got to admire his timing!

Can you do click and collect for your shop? Do the order at some point in hospital while DS is asleep, pick it up on your way home.

I agree with Zombie - I love Aldi, and that's my usual way of shopping (Aldi, then somewhere else to pick up the bits I couldn't get there), but if you can afford to get it all from one place, don't faff. It's not worth the hassle in your circumstances.

DD can have a quick whip round with the vacuum and duster one night after work, job's a good 'un. The skirting boards can wait until next Christmas you have time fgrin

LittleMissGreen Tue 22-Dec-15 21:32:03

My son is in hospital this year after being in a road accident. Not sure if he will get home yet but told the people coming over that they can fend for themselves. If he is home we will have to put a bed downstairs for him and there wont be room for a table so posh food not going to happen. If he is still in hospital there will be even less service grin

HuckfromScandal Tue 22-Dec-15 21:49:58

Thanks everyone
Well. Aldi shop done in 25 mins.
Shop was deserted and I have everything apart from cranberries and streaky bacon.
All done with ready prepared.

DS is sound asleep at the hospital.
DD has volunteered to drag the Hoover round for me.

Hopefully consultant will allow him home tomorrow.

HuckfromScandal Tue 22-Dec-15 21:50:31

Litre miss green
I really hope that you get him home and he makes a full and fast recovery.

lalamumto3 Tue 22-Dec-15 21:55:30

Hope that both little miss GanDhi's sons are home for Christmas

lalamumto3 Tue 22-Dec-15 21:56:52

Sorry predict I've text I meant Huck

LittleMissGreen Tue 22-Dec-15 23:02:17

Thanks
Sounds like a good shop smile hope you get home now

Squishyeyeballs Wed 23-Dec-15 08:13:13

Glad you are somewhat sorted and that your ds is on the mend op. Try not to stress. Given that all of your guests are close family members, I think they will understand if dinner isn't perfect given the circumstances. brew and cake for you

PotteringAlong Wed 23-Dec-15 08:31:56

Hope he enjoys his McDonald's breakfast grin

startingallover Thu 24-Dec-15 03:16:08

Glad he's ok. We have a very similar problem. My son has been sick for the last few days and although that has stopped he still has a bad tummy and a very slight stitch on the left. I've been thinking appendicitis tonight but wondering if they have to be in more pain. Would you mind me asking what his symptoms were. I'm presuming they have to be bad enough to not want to go on minecraft all day!!!!

Eva50 Thu 24-Dec-15 07:25:50

OP I hope you are sorted but Auntie Bessie is your friend. Roasties, roast parsnips, carrot and swede mash, stuffing balls and Yorkshire puddings for good measure. Tesco do a microwave Brussels sprouts with chestnuts to top it off. Guess what we are having?

PunkrockerGirl Thu 24-Dec-15 07:30:46

So glad your ds is ok.
Have a lovely Christmas, it doesn't matter if it's not perfect! flowers

HuckfromScandal Thu 24-Dec-15 07:35:26

Startling
He was in quite a substantial amount of pain. Very localised on the right side of his stomach next to his belly button. If you think it could be - phone the gp. I so nearly didn't thinking it was a bug.
The pic of the appendix was gruesome - it could have easily burst! I feel so fortunate.

I hope your DS is ok, and it is just a tummy bug.

He is home.
Shopping all done and I am ready as I will be. Just a few presents still to wrap.

I even managed to get to a kickboxing class last night - which definitely helped the stress levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now