Talk

Advanced search

Okay, you know early on this year you'd have written a list of "things I'm not going to bother with next Christmas......."

(11 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 22-Dec-15 15:09:07

Have you stuck to it?

I've resisted buying "things" for my teenage DS (he's 16) just to bulk out his present pile. He has something to open but most of his requests were X-Box Games that he downloads and money (he saves) so I'll wrap it in a nice gift box and he'll put it in his account.

DD always gives me a list so she's easier to buy for.

Foodwise- not so much cheese (bought those little truckles last year and they sat judgily till March)

Not so much sweet stuff. We had mincemeat pies in Feb

No cupcakes, nice idea but didn't get eaten.

This year I didn't plan anything for Christmas (dragging my teenage DS round the Harry Potter Experience wasn't worth the aggro)

DS and DH went to see the Hunger Games film, neither of them are Star Wars fans.

DD and I will go to London tomorrow (I know, we are Bonkers fgrin but I've just seen the reports of 6 hour queues at Bluewater so I'm not driving anywhere).
We can see the lights, the shops, (she'll drag me round TopShop) and some lunch.

Now, I've got my shopping list here. How much do you think I'll deviate off it..........................?

NeededANameChangeAnyway Tue 22-Dec-15 15:12:09

We always do a mad decorating/clear out before Christmas and it makes everything so stressful. Not doing that next year!

WiryElevator Tue 22-Dec-15 15:22:23

I was at Bluewater at 9am this morning and it was very quiet.

Not to do an online food shop, to just go to the shop and buy what I want. Picked everything I needed at 8.30am in M & S this morning, no bother.

Turkey crown this year, less amounts of veg, and I bought the cranberry sauce, bread sauce and gravy this year fshock - fed up of spending hours making stuff that by the time you mix it all up in the plate and have drunk a bottle of wine it tastes pretty much the same as shop bought. It's also way cheaper to buy in and less wasteful IME.

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 22-Dec-15 15:27:36

I think I've done pretty well. I'm still icing cakes today and ideally I would have liked to have had them done by the weekend just gone, but given that late November and early December were horrendous then I think I'm doing OK. I'm also still crocheting a Christmas present but I've got a week before I have to hand it over so I should get it finished.

Food requirements have been honed to perfection over the last 28 years or so. We are antisocial buggers and hunker down at home - we come in from church on Christmas Eve and don't set foot out again until at least Boxing Day. My two DDs (adult/late teen) give me hints for presents and I've bought a couple of "off-piste" items that I'm sure they'll like. DS writes a list for Santa so he loves everything.

We had a family trip out yesterday to see Star Wars and it was brilliant. I've been nowhere near a big city at Christmas for years <country bumpkin> and would probably get claustrophobic in crowds. I may brave the sales in Liverpool when I go up to visit my mum.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 22-Dec-15 15:28:16

I had one thing. Parsnips need much longer than you think they do.

So I've bought a ready made tray of the fuckers so I don't have to remember.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 22-Dec-15 15:59:42

One thing I did remember this year....
DBro brought a turkey crown last year and as DH and I are vegetarian, our knives weren't suitable .

So, I have an electric knife now <<organised>>

Wiry the Bluewater lock in was yesterday evening, I think early am you'd be fine, just the hanging about for shops to open (but the coffee shops are open)

WiryElevator Tue 22-Dec-15 16:41:03

Indeed - M & S @ Bluewater open from 6am this week, fshock other shops open at 9. We had finished at M & S by 9, but had bribed DCS with cinnamon buns at Starbucks for breakfast after, so ridnt make it to shops til 9.30ish, but they weren't busy.

Car parks were filling up as we left at 10.30am, mind.

TheFuckitBuckit Tue 22-Dec-15 16:59:33

Yes not host Christmas to all and sundry this year and run myself ragged whilst they all sit on thier backsides watching me!!! I don't enjoy it and don't get a word of thanks.
I have my adult dd joining me dh and 3 younger siblings(as Dgd is spending the day with dad) and that's it.

Not to buy and cook as much veg as it doesn't get eaten. Cut down on the amount of nibbles, cakes snacky bits as we are still eating them well into January, not to do a buffet on Boxing Day as dh declared last year there was nothing he liked and it was a waste of time, despite there being eleventy million choices and the fact that he would all of what was offered on any other day of the year! hmm

Also not to do a deep clean and tidy as no bugger notices and by the time everyone left last year (10 pm) my house was trashed!

Donge13 Tue 22-Dec-15 17:26:21

Needed we also decorate and deep clean each Christmas, I am also not doing it again next year.
I have also decided to have shopping delivered next year

Postchildrenpregranny Tue 22-Dec-15 17:33:13

Not to buy /cook chipolatas wrapped in bacon . I often used to forget them and leave them in the oven .I don't think anyone actually likes them in our house.
Not to make a Christmas cake. I am the only person who really likes it and I do not need the calories .
Not to buy (too many) chocolates . I do not need the calories
Not to generally over- cater .

CharleyDavidson Tue 22-Dec-15 20:07:05

Ooo.... the sausages wrapped in bacon are the best bit!

I've not made Christmas cake this year (well, I have, but I made it early for Dad's birthday as he was unlikely to make Christmas and it was his favourite. I'm glad I did as he passed away early Nov) and so far DH and DD1, who are the only ones in this house who eat it haven't asked for it.

I've bought useful or consumeable things for the DDs and thought about what space they have for the things I've bought, so we shouldn't be too overwhelmed by stuff after. I still need to attack the main toy cupboard to make a bit of space, but that's tomorrow's job.

I've not baked yet. I love making (and eating) mince pies etc but then over eat as I make some to try out the recipe, then make some more oer Chtistmas week. Then make some more to use up the leftovers. I haven't baked yet and will only make one lot of everything instead of 3 lots.

We've not bought chocolates for ourselves as enough people buy them for us instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now