Talk

Advanced search

I have just bought a vienetta and an arctic roll

(46 Posts)
Heathcliff27 Mon 21-Dec-15 11:26:01

Yes simple pleasures in life I know, but, standing there at the checkout I suddenly had the "it's beginning to look a lot like christmas" feeling.

Whats the christmas purchase that makes it for you?

shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 21-Dec-15 11:58:32

Lidl/ Aldi mini stollen, although be fair they are usually bought and eaten by mid November.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Mon 21-Dec-15 12:04:20

Big tubs of peanuts.

FuckYouChristmasAndThatClaus Mon 21-Dec-15 12:09:49

I am so filled with fenvy

Why didn't I think to do that?!

momb Mon 21-Dec-15 12:17:58

Stilton. I love it but the rest of the family resist the smell so I wait until Christmas and to hell with them! And nuts; I only buy nuts on their shells at Christmas.

For me the Christmassy feeling begins when the paper chains go up. Making them is a family activity and whatever else is going on everyone comes together for one afternoon for that.

MrsJayy Mon 21-Dec-15 12:20:59

Bought pretzels yesterday i know they are not very festive but i have them watching a film christmas eve. I love vienetta my sister is doing puddings this year so no vienetta at mums

DiscoDiva70 Mon 21-Dec-15 12:25:34

Baileys
Christmas isn't Christmas without it!

InQuiteAChristmasPickle Mon 21-Dec-15 12:38:57

The 80s called and they want their desserts back, OP! fwinkfgrin

It's not Christmas until I have a tin of Roses and Quality Street in my trolley.

InQuiteAChristmasPickle Mon 21-Dec-15 12:39:25

And Baileys of all different flavours.

TurduckenForDinner Mon 21-Dec-15 13:01:43

I bought the sprouts this morning. I know I should have started them boiling a couple of weeks ago, but it'll be fine I'm sure. wink

NeedsAMousekatool Mon 21-Dec-15 13:06:15

MIL and PIL decided yesterday that they would come to us for Christmas after all and I am weeks behind on boiling their veg smile

I might have to buy a Vienetta. Yum.

MrsJayy Mon 21-Dec-15 13:07:11

Hafgrin dd just said when are you taking gran for her shopping she wil be wanting to get the sprouts on

Peppaspants Mon 21-Dec-15 13:09:04

After eights, matchsticks (mint and orange), tin of roses, loads of nuts, Pringles and brie. Can't wait to eat it all!

Peppaspants Mon 21-Dec-15 13:09:53

Oh and Buck's Fizz and port. And baileys of course!

Heathcliff27 Mon 21-Dec-15 14:49:06

Haha i am totally a 70's born brought up in the 80's woman. We also have a mini xmas pudding for DH. I might buy a tin of fruit cocktail to go with the arctic roll grin.

Watched Home Alone for the first time this year, yesterday, another xmas turning point.

Heathcliff27 Mon 21-Dec-15 14:49:54

Yy to matchsticks and aftereights. When I was little it used to be the eat me dates and walnut whips appearing that signified the start of xmas.

iklboo Mon 21-Dec-15 15:00:11

Baileys, fruit pies for Santa & a tub of cheesy nibbles.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Mon 21-Dec-15 15:00:27

I bought a strawberry vienetta from Lidl last week! Strawberry. They also had mint and chocolate flavours grin.

We always have a vienetta for anyone who doesn't want Christmas pudding on Christmas Day. This may be a tradition I have inherited from the mid 1980's fgrin.

Harvey's Bristol Cream sherry says Christmas to me. I'd never think of buying it at any other time of year!

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 21-Dec-15 15:04:17

Twiglets

Heathcliff27 Mon 21-Dec-15 15:05:15

Hmmm harveys bristol cream you say..... I've always imagined myself settling down with a nice glass of sherry, snow falling outside, carol service on. I'm turning into my mother!

Owllady Mon 21-Dec-15 15:11:12

We also watched home alone yesterday grin
i've had my ocado delivery and we are making christmas cake and i have allthe ingredients for a sausage plait

for me def pork pie

Peppaspants Mon 21-Dec-15 15:15:41

also just remembered mini cheddars....I'm not sure if any of us even like them...

OSETmum Mon 21-Dec-15 18:22:53

Mint sauce! I'm aware I'm some kind of heathen because of this!

MrsJayy Mon 21-Dec-15 18:56:28

Ooo tubs of cheesey nibbles and baileys (making a list) a great aunt used to get me those dates i never liked them my dad aways ate them

Paperblank Mon 21-Dec-15 18:59:19

Oh no....I'm going to have to buy a vienetta now, he'd love it. DH loves them (and calls them vienetra...) and always had them at Christmas when he was a little 'un.

I do not have any ice cream either. I shall rectify this oversight immediately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now