Talk

Advanced search

Design my menu please

(10 Posts)
PeaceLoveAndMincePies Mon 21-Dec-15 10:26:16

I've been so caught up in organising my DS' first birthday that I haven't done any Christmas planning. I haven't had many happy Christmases in my life, but now I have my own family I'd like to create new traditions and happy memories for my DS. I'm not really bothered about having a big traditional roast dinner etc, and it will only be the three of us anyway. I'd like to make something special, but different. I don't eat meat, but DH and DS do, and I don't mind cooking it for them.
Ideas please! I'm going shopping this week (God help me).

missmargot Mon 21-Dec-15 12:30:23

How old is your DS and what sort of food does he like?

Do you want something vaguely traditional or just a nice meal for you all?

I do love a proper Christmas dinner but one of my favourite childhood memories is the only Christmas we had at home without visitors and we all had exactly what we wanted. I think I requested a Chinese ready meal, my Dad went for steak and so on. Apparently it was no more work than cooking a big Christmas dinner. Would your son like the novelty of being able to choose his own meal like that?

PeaceLoveAndMincePies Mon 21-Dec-15 13:42:46

Thanks for replying! DS has just had his first birthday this week, hence my mind has been on other things! So he will eat most things, but if he chose his own meal it would probably be watermelon hmm

missmargot Mon 21-Dec-15 13:47:52

Ha! DS's would have been blueberries at the age, or just whatever I had on my plate that looked nicer than his especially if it was exactly the same

As your DS is too young to understand or appreciate a Christmas dinner why don't you do something really lovely and low stress that you and your DH would love. Maybe you could do a carpet picnic with lots of lovely picky bits (and watermelon) so you can graze all day in between playing with toys rather than doing a formal meal? You could make it a Santa/reindeer picnic for your DS or invite his toys along too.

PeaceLoveAndMincePies Mon 21-Dec-15 15:23:04

That's such a lovely idea! And so totally different that it could become a cute new tradition for us to take forwards. Thank you!

missmargot Mon 21-Dec-15 17:06:56

You're very welcome, I hope you have a brilliant day.

ButtonMoon88 Mon 21-Dec-15 17:17:18

We are having Wellington, that will be cooked on Xmas eve and then just warmed up in oven for 40mins on Christmas Day. smile

Xmas eve we are eating parsnip soup and having a spread of cheese/crackers and pickles (my 11month olds favourite) blush

I love easy Christmas'

PeaceLoveAndMincePies Mon 21-Dec-15 23:19:02

Oh a Christmassy soup sounds lovely! Thank you smile

esiotrot2015 Tue 22-Dec-15 09:56:55

If I were you and spending it just us ( so jealous grin)
I would have the carpet picnic , you and dh have posh nibbles
Then once baby in bed have a lovely meal the two of you : something ready cooked from m&s maybe : whatever your fave is , I'd have cauliflower cheese , moussaka & a bottle of merlot grin

PeaceLoveAndMincePies Wed 23-Dec-15 19:40:58

Right I've gone for parsnip soup and crusty bread with cheese and pate followed by trifle on Christmas Eve, chicken thighs and a lentil casserole for Christmas Day, with an intriguing sprouts, squash, pecans and cranberries thingy I found on Pinterest, and Christmas pudding, and I've got a tiny piece of turkey for DH so he can have his sandwiches on Boxing Day. I will have all of the above minus the meat.
Thanks for your ideas and input! It's a nice mixture of new and traditional so we will all be happy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: