Talk

Advanced search

SIM card for new phone

(9 Posts)
thegreenhen Sun 20-Dec-15 12:07:00

Does anyone know how this works?

I've bought my son a new phone for Christmas. It uses a different SIM card to his current phone.

If I order a new sim for him now so he can use his new phone on Christmas Day, will EE spoil the surprise and send him a text to his current phone saying "thank you for ordering your new sim" or similar?

Not sure whether to order it now or wait until Christmas Day?

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 20-Dec-15 12:11:58

You can carefully cut the existing one, and use that. So he can keep the number. Or go into the shop for a new one and ask them to transfrer his number - not sure you can have two sims with the same number - which is really what you`re asking.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 20-Dec-15 12:13:19

Also a lot of phones wont work without a sim now. So his new phone will be `rubbish` and he wont be able to use it, until the sim is sorted.

thegreenhen Sun 20-Dec-15 14:55:02

I would expect to have to activate the new sim, so only one sim would work at any one time.

Also he needs a bigger sim for the new phone than the previous sim, so cutting it down isn't an option.

Luxyelectro Sun 20-Dec-15 14:57:20

Go and get one from the shop.
You can register it on Xmas day online to his phone and current number.

Luxyelectro Sun 20-Dec-15 14:58:42

Also. There are sim carrier converter things that allow you to put a smaller sim in a phone

Luxyelectro Sun 20-Dec-15 15:01:51

Like this:
The phone shop will give you one probably.

thegreenhen Sun 20-Dec-15 15:06:41

Thanks, I doubt I can get to the shop now before Xmas. (35 miles away and I'm working until Xmas eve). I might just have to chance the online one.

Luxyelectro Sun 20-Dec-15 15:08:45

eBay and Amazon have those carriers for 50p - can you get one delivered rather than spoil the surprise?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now