Talk

Advanced search

Going into London on Christmas Eve but what to do?

(16 Posts)
mckenzie Sat 19-Dec-15 15:54:53

I'd like all of us to go in, probably early afternoon. DS will have to be dragged but I'd really like us to spend some time together and get festive.

I'd be happy mooching round and looking at the lights and shop window displays at Selfridges and Hamleys etc.
Is there anything else you would suggest?
Seeing a show will be out unless we can get cancellation tickets for a reduced price. I've looked and they are silly money to buy now.
Is trafalgar square worth a visit?
Any trend bar/cafe we should pop into for a drink?
TIA

SorrelForbes Sat 19-Dec-15 15:56:50

I was up there last year on Chrismas Eve and town was dead! We saw a show and then walked to Hyde Park for a quick look at the Winter Wonderland. We left about 7pm and everywhere was deserted!

mckenzie Sat 19-Dec-15 16:12:25

Oh what a shame Sorrel. I've checked the shop times and the big ones all seem to be open until 5.30pm so perhaps that explains why by 7pm it's all deserted.

traviata Sat 19-Dec-15 16:45:49

is there skating somewhere? Somerset House?

AnyoneButSanta Sat 19-Dec-15 16:51:36

I think we went to Borough Market on Xmas Eve one year and that was quite fun. The pubs of the City will be full of festive cheer but not child friendly. Plan on looking at lights from 4-5 and then leaving for home.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 19-Dec-15 17:34:40

Ooh I'd try the John Lewis in Oxford street top floor cafe to look at the sky.
It won't be dark dark but I think it would be really nice.

Walk along the South Bank?

Look at the lights of course.

Trafalgar square - the tree will be up.
One year there was a Snowglobe inflateable ........which was broken when we went fsad

mckenzie Sat 19-Dec-15 17:42:10

Thanks everyone. Some good ideas. Thank you

SleepIsForTheWeakAnyway Sat 19-Dec-15 17:51:58

We are going ice skating at the London eye and then on to the Christmas market on the southbank for the mulled cider before walking back along the river to my parents house. We did it last year and it was so much fun we are doing it again.

Artandco Sat 19-Dec-15 17:55:04

Are you driving in? Bare in mind the tube services stop early on Xmas eve hence everyone else has left

Artandco Sat 19-Dec-15 17:56:29

If you look on Tfl it says all tube services reduced after 5pm

vestandknickers Sat 19-Dec-15 17:59:18

We went to the Natural History Museum one Christmas Eve. It was empty. No queuing for dinosaurs. Was heaven!

mckenzie Sun 20-Dec-15 09:00:09

Thanks for the extra replies. I've booked a restaurant near our main line station for 5.45 and there are definitely trains running so now i only need to plan the afternoon.

toots111 Sun 20-Dec-15 11:46:55

How old is DS?

mckenzie Sun 20-Dec-15 20:04:50

DS is 14

Savagebeauty Sun 20-Dec-15 20:08:05

I'm off to Spitalfields market for lunch and a mooch

ridingsixwhitehorses Sun 20-Dec-15 22:57:22

Natural history museum Xmas eve sounds great. We have plans this year but going to remember that for next year. Wonder if also empty dec 23?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now