Talk

Advanced search

PANIC

(20 Posts)
MoreCrackThanHarlem Sat 19-Dec-15 15:21:00

Shit.
It is the 19th.
I have only bought 2 presents.

Tomorrow I have dd at an exam, and a carol service I have to attend (work related)
Tuesday I have visitors and a show in the evening.
That leaves me Monday and Wednesday to shop.

Anyone else? Please?

Hulababy Sat 19-Dec-15 15:24:48

Can you shop online with next day delivery, or click and collect?
Amazon will get there in time as will many online stores.

Else it's a case of braving the shops.

What do you need to get?

MoreCrackThanHarlem Sat 19-Dec-15 15:31:19

Ok
Amazon
Can do that

I don't have a HUGE family so not loads to get.
Every bloody year. I never enjoy the week before Christmas because I'm so unprepared. Not like this in any other area of my life, I just find it so difficult with work to organise myself.

Right. On Amazon now. Can do parents and grandparents on there. I suppose I wanted to hear somebody else say
YES
I'm shit too

HermioneWeasley Sat 19-Dec-15 15:38:40

Why do you do this to yourself if it's the same every year?

Not trying to judge, just wondering if you can break the cycle in future?

EduCated Sat 19-Dec-15 15:41:30

Ditto. Except we are attempting to shop tonight as its late night shopping.

I truly don't know where December has gone.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Sat 19-Dec-15 15:45:41

I am such an organised person in every other aspect of my home and work life.

I have a dd with a December birthday so I always put off Christmas until that's done. I work full time and evenings are full of other stuff- dd at hobby most nights so am taxi, I like to excercise in the evenings, loads of stuff on at weekends.
Not making excuses, but I have a busy life. And I am doing it on my own.

Next year, I VOW it will be different.
I think I have this panic every year, but then it always gets done on time, everybody has suitable presents, wrapped nicely.

Consequently I do it again the next year, forgetting how it makes me FEEL in the run up.

HermioneWeasley Sat 19-Dec-15 15:49:04

Would it work if you put something on the calendar around September to get started?

The bargain threads start to get active around that time.

I start in August and aim to have everything bought by 1st December - setting a deadline helps me not to drift. Must be even harder with a birthday to organise!

MoreCrackThanHarlem Sat 19-Dec-15 15:57:19

Bloody hell, August!
I think the problem is also a budgeting issue. In August I want to spend money on going on holiday. Christmas feels so far away then. If I have a spare £100 I'll spend it on something for frivolous like theatre tickets or a meal out.

I will try next year. Start in September at least. God I'm crap.

HermioneWeasley Sat 19-Dec-15 16:34:15

I put money for Christmas into a separate account every month so I can use it all year round and it's not a big one off hit

Argos are doing same day delivery up to and including Christmas Eve for any items in stock and available under 'Fast Track', if that helps

GlitteryShoes Sat 19-Dec-15 17:01:19

In your situation I would pick a theme of present - eg slippers/food or music and get everyone the same genre of gift, as much as possible via Amazon prime.

ScarlettDarling Sat 19-Dec-15 17:04:10

Yep, Amazon Prime is your friend. Sign up for a free trial and as long as you cancel within a month, you won't have to pay for it. If you do your Amazon shop tonight or tomorrow, Amazon Prime will deliver it Monday.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Sat 19-Dec-15 21:56:37

Amazon shop finished.
Just a few to pick up on Monday so will brave the shops. Got theatre tickets for parents so have printed them out.

Phew.

pretend Sat 19-Dec-15 22:00:15

I also have dc with a December birthday.

I start in August and at the beginning of December divide the spoils in half, wrap half in birthday and half in Christmas paper.

I shop online. It's not onerous, you just need to start earlier

diddl Sat 19-Dec-15 22:00:30

I haven't started yet!

Will do it Monday.

I don't need much but I do know what to get & I think that that's the hardest bit!

Goingtobeawesome Sat 19-Dec-15 22:02:46

OP, you mentioned budgeting makes it tricky. For years I have saved money each month in a separate account. Then once I start shopping for Christmas in November I pay on the debit card then transfer the money from the savings account. There no way I could afford Christmas in one - two months otherwise.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Sun 20-Dec-15 10:02:39

In August/September/October there are just so many things I'd rather be spending money on than Christmas.

Next year I WILL start earlier.
I'm feeling better today after my online splurge. Just a few things left to pick up for dd and probably 7 more gifts on top of that. I have Monday and Wednesday to fit in a couple of trips between the Christmas madness. I'm sure I'll manage. Just wish I was relaxing with my wrapped gifts instead of last minute crowd battling.

LizzieMacQueen Sun 20-Dec-15 10:05:59

Have you got your food sorted? Lots of food and wine gifts can be bought when you get your turkey. Tesco had 2 'large' quality street boxes for £6.

Sirona Sun 20-Dec-15 10:16:48

Budgeting wise I also slip a little bit into a separate account every month. Plus I clear out all my change and pound coins out of my purse into a money bank most days. Bag up when necessary and at the start of December hand it all into the bank. I usually get about two hundred by this method. Helps as I also have two dc with November birthdays.

Roygrace Sun 20-Dec-15 10:31:45

I buy everyone two birthday presents and wrap one for Christmas.saves last minute picking up anything

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now