Talk

Advanced search

Chicken based christmas dinner ideas quick please!

(3 Posts)
Focusfocus Sat 19-Dec-15 14:45:57

My DH is British, I'm from halfway across the world and we are having ourselves a nice little traditional christmas dinner with baby and Ddog. Put my mum arrives from home country on Boxing Day and on the 27th I want to do her a christmas dinner so she experiences the thing! She is a prof of Eng lit so has a very clear idea of English traditions etc.

However, she doesn't eat beef or pork for historical reasons they aren't consumed in my country and she is unwilling to experiment really. Also meats I.e. mutton or chicken is cooked till it's unrecognisable in spices in my country so I'm trying to develop a menu which will be Christmassy and chicken and veg based.

Any ideas that don't involve sausages, pigs in blankets, bacon lardons,sausage meat stuffing and yet is nice and gives a good Christmassy menu?

Chicken can feature as the bird of honour. Eagerly waiting for nice ideas!

girlywhirly Sat 19-Dec-15 15:29:08

We are having a roast chicken as there are just the two of us on Christmas day. I make my own stuffing from breadcrumbs, fried onion, fresh chopped parsley, sage and thyme; and crumbled vacuum packed chestnuts. I bake some in a dish in the oven separately from the chicken and some goes in the chicken for flavour. Fresh herbs make all the difference.

Nearlyadoctor Sat 19-Dec-15 15:38:12

Roast chicken with stuffing as above, roast potatoes, braised red cabbage, carrots, sprouts, cauliflower cheese, gravy etc. Could also do some Yorkshire puddings instead of pigs in blankets etc?
Christmas pud and clotted cream?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now