Talk

Advanced search

how do you prep veg in advance of Christmas Day?

(12 Posts)
whattodo12 Sat 19-Dec-15 14:21:14

Have seen various suggestions online - please let me know how and if you prepare your roast potatoes, parsnips and sprouts in advance of the big day.

Let me know what works for you!!!!!
tia

raspberryrippleicecream Sat 19-Dec-15 14:25:23

I parboil roast potatoes, then freeze them on trays, then tip into a plastic bag when frozen. Straight into hot roasting tin on Christmas Day.

Carrots, Parsnips, prepped day before and in cold water, ( or carrots sealed in plastic bag).

Mash and Mashed Carrot/Swede cooked day before and reheated

Costacoffeeplease Sat 19-Dec-15 14:26:08

Par boil potatoes, rough them up a bit and add oil/goose fat, and freeze, roast from frozen for about an hour

Debbriana1 Sat 19-Dec-15 14:57:19

Half cook them then finish it off on the day.

Boutonneux Sat 19-Dec-15 16:25:46

Roast potatoes - boil for 10 mins, then roast for 15-20 mins (just until they start to brown). Cool on plate, freeze. Straight from frozen into hot goose/duck fat on the day.

Parsnips - same as above.

Sprouts and carrots are peeled/chopped on Christmas Eve and put into food bags in the fridge.

I've been doing this for the last 4/5 years and it's helped make Christmas Day so much nicer and more relaxed. I was fed up of missing everything by being stuck in the kitchen for most of the day.

SealSong Sat 19-Dec-15 16:49:09

If you do roasties from frozen as is described here, how long do you need to cook them for and at what temp? Thanks

Costacoffeeplease Sat 19-Dec-15 17:26:36

I just put them in the oven with whatever else we're having, for about an hour - could be around 180-200 ish

SealSong Sat 19-Dec-15 20:46:38

thanks

Wagglebees Sun 20-Dec-15 03:43:44

I walk into M&S and buy it.

<helpful>

whattodo12 Tue 22-Dec-15 18:30:27

Thanks ladies, my parsnips and potatoes are now prepped n in the freezer n I'll do the sprouts on 24th. Looking forward to a more relaxing day!!!
Thanks again

UninventiveUsername Tue 22-Dec-15 21:00:03

I know the op is sorted now but I found this recipe with a tip for freezing that I shall be following. Here it is for anyone interested.

SquinkiesRule Tue 22-Dec-15 21:35:04

You're posh mrs Wagglebees Auntie Bessie is doing my roasties this year. grin
I'll do fresh carrots and sprouts on the day, and have some pre prepared Red cabbage with apple. I'm doing a ham the day before, two actually as they are small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now