Talk

Advanced search

help my Christmas tree is shedding needles!

(10 Posts)
ConstantlyChristmaslyCooking Sat 19-Dec-15 13:33:46

Just that really. We bought a lovely tree and have it in water in a stand but it is drying out. Are there any suggestions? We sawed off some of the trunk before putting it in the stand.
Anything we can add to the water or spray on the tree?

afreshstartplease Sat 19-Dec-15 13:57:47

Mine is doing this too!

Watching

peggyundercrackers Sat 19-Dec-15 13:59:51

erm that's what trees do when they are dead - nothing you can do to stop it other than stay away from it.

TheKnackeredChef Sat 19-Dec-15 14:06:55

Extra hold hairspray. Mine's hardly list any so far.

Stellar67 Sat 19-Dec-15 14:55:43

Did you saw a bit off the bottom of your tree when you got it home? You need to do that so it can soak up the water. The sap will have closed up the end.

Stellar67 Sat 19-Dec-15 14:56:15

Sorry, you did that.
It's not near a radiator?

CiderwithBuda Sat 19-Dec-15 14:58:52

Apparently it's more likely to happen this year as it's been so mild. The trees needed a frost which they didn't get.

Happend to us two years ago. We now stick to an artificial one!

ConstantlyChristmaslyCooking Sat 19-Dec-15 15:02:34

Thank you for the advice. I will try hairspray. We have had real trees before and they have lasted much better. It seems as if the water is being absorbed as it has barely gone down.
I feel guilty because we have an artificial tree but I persuaded DH to get a real one this year because we are at home all through the festive season.

Wagglebees Sun 20-Dec-15 03:31:44

Our's is doing this slightly too, although not very much just more than usual. The water isn't going down either, whereas in past years it has needed topping up every day. I think Cider must be right and they've been affected by the weather.

ConstantlyChristmaslyCooking Sun 20-Dec-15 05:32:25

Thanks waggles for making sense of my last post! I just realised I had left the tree not out in the sentence about the tree not absorbing water.
I am going to try spraying it with water to see if that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now