Talk

Advanced search

What to have for dinner Christmas Eve?

(28 Posts)
krazipan Sat 19-Dec-15 12:42:57

This year it's just my son and I for Christmas. I have planned a buffet 'party tea' for Christmas Day and so was planning for a sit down meal Christmas Eve but I'm struggling for ideas.

Grumpyoldblonde Sat 19-Dec-15 15:56:39

Ok, what age is your son, what is your budget, are you vegetarian, are you a good cook? need a few clues as to what you like to eat. I would do a Christmas dinner with a chicken instead of Turkey in your shoes. Just have your favourite meal, one that feels a bit of a treat, nice piece of fish maybe?

hugoagogo Sat 19-Dec-15 16:00:56

We always have pasta and salad- something completely different to Christmas dinner.

I'm making fresh bread & soup, probably minestrone or French onion. We tend to eat a lot of salad, with leftovers, for a few days after Christmas.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 19-Dec-15 16:07:12

Ham, egg and chips.

BuildersBum Sat 19-Dec-15 16:26:54

Lasagne, done in the slow cooker so you can go out & enjoy your day if you want to, certainly no faffing. With salad and garlic bread.

Makemineacabsauv Sat 19-Dec-15 22:03:45

Steak and chips!

rocket74 Sat 19-Dec-15 22:10:44

Nigellas Christmas spare ribs with stir fry.
Marinade ribs for 24 hrs in cranberry sauce, sweet chilli sauce, clementine juice and soy.
Bung in oven for 2 hours. Yum.

AtAt Sat 19-Dec-15 22:43:35

We are having fish and chips smile

Jakadaal Sat 19-Dec-15 22:49:17

Another ham, eggs and chips here

CakeNinja Sat 19-Dec-15 22:50:50

id ask him what he wants - what's his favourite?

Topseyt Sat 19-Dec-15 23:04:30

I normally just put out a selection of Christmas party food and stuff and leave mine to pick at that.

Egg and chips sounds good to me though too. Or I could be tempted to a favourite takeaway, if it wouldn't detract from the Christmas Day food.

krazipan Sun 20-Dec-15 00:36:36

Thanks everyone. Grumpy, he is 12 and will eat pretty much anything. We aren't veggie. We normally have party nibbles on Christmas Eve so this year has thrown me.

Muddlewitch Sun 20-Dec-15 00:42:22

We are having Chinese. Lots of dishes and side bits.

AnotherEmma Sun 20-Dec-15 00:45:35

Do you want something simple or something a bit special? If you want special how about salmon coulibiac or salmon en croute. Delicious.

Themodernuriahheep Sun 20-Dec-15 00:51:24

We always have fish, Polish tradition we have bought into.

Smoked salmon with scrambled eggs,
Smoked salmon with anything
Kedgeree
Kippers, with or without scrambled eggs
Fish pie..
Fish cakes
Seafood platter from M&S

We do not have 12 courses with 12 diff vodkas but one year we will...

SearedChestnut Sun 20-Dec-15 00:55:56

We have fish pie, kedgeree or home-made soup with bread and cheese

We always used to have a very 'sparse' Christmas eve at home - a Roman Catholic tradition I think - so I've carried on doing the same.

Cliffdiver Sun 20-Dec-15 06:22:06

We usually have a take away.

If you're having a buffet Christmas Day then how about a roast dinner on Christmas Eve? Leftovers could be incorporated into the buffet?

krazipan Sun 20-Dec-15 10:42:46

Thank you for all the suggestions. I was drifting towards fish so think I'll do salmon with roasties etc. santa

SearedChestnut Sun 20-Dec-15 12:19:47

Sounds lovely Krazipan!

Bellejournee Sun 20-Dec-15 14:22:28

Carpet picnic here! Lots of yummy party food/ nibbly bits :-)

AndNowItsSeven Sun 20-Dec-15 14:26:16

Chinese takeaway every year, it's our tradition. Our local restaurant delivers , so we get a banquet to share.

Ninacarter77 Sun 20-Dec-15 14:49:59

Baked potatoes with selction of different fillings-bunged in oven in afternoon while I am busy with tasks.

Salad and obs some naice ham.

Tea and cake .

I too am home alone with DS on Christmas eve plan early tea and then movie.

krazipan Sun 20-Dec-15 17:59:57

I've been lazy tonight Seven and ordered Chinese so I've ruled that out, though it does sound amazing!

Hope you have a lovely Christmas with your son Nina smile

JeffreysMummyIsCross Sun 20-Dec-15 18:05:55

I'm doing melanzane parmigiana with a green salad and crusty bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now