Talk

Advanced search

How long to defrost a frozen turkey crown?

(8 Posts)
princessconsuelabannahammock Sat 19-Dec-15 09:38:22

Its not massive it serves 6-8, how long should it take? This is my first time hosting and i dont want to be memorable for the wrong reasons!

noblegiraffe Sat 19-Dec-15 09:42:02

Longer than it says on the packet, as I found to my cost one year. And trying to defrost in the fridge does nothing.

dementedpixie Sat 19-Dec-15 09:45:20

Depends on it's weight. nhs gives this guide:

*in a fridge at 4ºC (39ºF), allow about 10 to 12 hours per kg, but remember that not all fridges will be this temperature

*in a cool room (below 17.5ºC, 64ºF), allow approximately three to four hours per kg, or longer if the room is particularly cold

*at room temperature (about 20ºC, 68ºF) allow approximately two hours per kg

When your turkey is fully defrosted, put it in the fridge until you're ready to cook it. If this isn't possible, make sure you cook it immediately.

dementedpixie Sat 19-Dec-15 09:46:08

www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthychristmas/Pages/cooking-turkey.aspx

Washediris Sat 19-Dec-15 10:03:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Joopy Sat 19-Dec-15 10:07:58

For fake Christmas this Wednesday I had a 1.7kg 4-7 Turkey. I put it in the fridge on Monday night, it still felt a bit hard on Tuesday night so I left it on the side overnight.

princessconsuelabannahammock Sat 19-Dec-15 13:56:14

Thanks all, i am cooking it xmas eve morning. So i will get it out tuesday evening - kitchen is cool, then it can have all weds to defrost and i can stick it in the fridge when its defrosted. Just hope i have enough fridge space now!

RA1234 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:12:11

Hi I'm been checking about defrosting a 1.5mg Turkey Brest crown it says on some wedsitesit can cause bacteria if do it at room temp .i got it from Iceland .it says cook from frozen but prefer to defrost it and said defrost it for 40 hours in fridge seems along time has anyone defrosted a 15 kg Turkey breast from icelanfrozen foods shop ? Thankyou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now