Talk

Advanced search

Best vegetarian Christmas option

(4 Posts)
herecomesthsun Sat 19-Dec-15 07:47:55

Ds has been choosing a lot of veggie options for school dinner, including the Xmas dinner. He really likes sausages and it seems he likes veggie sausages too and has been happily eating the veggie pizza.

However, he dislikes most veg (he is 7) though he will eat carrots, peas, and beans - green, runner and baked.

He hates sprouts, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower tomato, saladand won't eat anything with green bits of leaf.

I am thinking of getting a veggie roast of some sort possibly to go with our Xmas dinner, either ready made or low prep, as I think veggie eating is good to encourage and would love some advice.

Elllicam Sat 19-Dec-15 09:14:03

I quite like the quorn roast but I know a lot of people aren't keen on quorn.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 19-Dec-15 11:42:39

Dh and I are long time vegetarians but my DS and DD have shunned our weirdly lentil weaving ways blush

The main Christmas Dinner should be as stress free as possible for the chef, so buy something that doesn't need any faffing (pre DC I used to make roulades and choux pastry filled with mushrooms or a nut loaf. Not now )

The Quorn roast is fine, looks the part in a roast dinner . It's a bit more salty than it used to be , which I like.
Don't overcook it though. IIRC it takes 45 mins , I cook it for 40 (fan oven) then leave it to rest still wrapped up. Gravy over the top (vegetraian of course)

I'm doing the Quorn Roast and the Linda MacCartney Festive Loaf (it's a bit like stuffing flavoured tofu so not everyones taste but it's nice enough)

You could do Quorn sausage and Yorkshire puddings for Boxing day (though be careful with the amount of Quorn, it can cause erm gastric malaise fwink )

honeyroar Sat 19-Dec-15 16:05:26

I don't like Quorn, it makes me feel ill. I cooked it a lot when I first went veggie, now I avoid it.

Tescos have a nice festive nut roast in their frozen veggie section, I think it's pecan and cranberry flavour, I bought one a week or two ago to try and will be having it on Xmas day with Linda McCartney sausages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now