Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you don't celebrate Christmas, for whatever reason, how will you be spending Christmas Day ?

(9 Posts)
vienna1981 Fri 18-Dec-15 21:19:30

This is an annual tricky situation for me. I live alone, have no children or partner and I'm not that close to my siblings or my elderly father. It was family reasons that made me abandon Christmas for good just over twenty years ago. I really struggle with the day as it is essentially wasted, a write-off. I would far rather go into work on Christmas Day and take Boxing Day off but that isn't possible with my employer. I've done the long walks and driving to the coast many times before so I've been there and done that. All in all I find 'the big day' crushingly depressing. I really hate it but I know I'm not alone l. How do you spend yours, provided you're not working in a soup kitchen or hostel ?

Thankyou.

EssentialHummus Fri 18-Dec-15 21:32:08

In a Chinese restaurant, like all good Jews grin

When I was alone I either volunteered at Crisis (and got roundly beaten at chess by every homeless bloke in London), or settled in with a big DVD box set for a binge, then a walk if I could be arsed.

twofalls Fri 18-Dec-15 21:41:02

The people I know who don't celebrate (for various reason) either help out at the local homeless shelter or treat it like a lazy Sunday. Do you have any friends in a similar position? Or would that defeat the object of not celebrating it?

vienna1981 Sat 19-Dec-15 05:49:43

I don't have any friends so no go there. Volunteering wouldn't work; I'd be projecting my own misery on to other people who have their own misfortune. Not exactly win-win !

jamtartandcustard Sat 19-Dec-15 07:34:46

My sisters OH won't celebrate Christmas. Damaged childhood I believe, she visits us but he will never come and spends it alone.
I believe he either volunteers to work (24/7 industry) or treats it like a lazy Sunday as pp suggested

GooseFriend Sat 19-Dec-15 07:47:15

Jewish friend treats it like a bank holiday and does it very normal iyswim - normal getting up time, normal meals, do admin tasks, bit of TV. They find it better that way than making a big deal out of not celebrating as that becomes a celebration in its self.

mudandmayhem01 Sat 19-Dec-15 07:56:10

My muslim friend just sees a chance for a lazy day or a bit of on line shopping.

duckbilled Sat 19-Dec-15 08:09:57

Some cinemas are open in the evening?

twofalls Sat 19-Dec-15 08:47:50

The problem is OP that many people who do not celebrate it do so quite happily. (Because of religious reason). You abandoned it because of unhappiness so find the day very difficult, understandably, so getting advice from Jews or Muslims probably isn't going to help you.

Do your siblings see your father? Are you the only one who is practically NC? Is there any hope of reconciliation?

I think you would find a lot of unhappy people volunteering at Christmas - you could possibly meet some new people that way. But it sounds like you have already decided against it.

It's hard to know what to suggest OP as it seems Christmas just amplifies how you are feeling. Do you have any support in your life?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now