Talk

Advanced search

Have I forgotten the essential must-have teenage gift this year?

(28 Posts)
traviata Fri 18-Dec-15 18:16:31

This is kind of a twitch, really.

DD is 14. Last year she was in tears because her gifts from family were mostly too young for her (and she felt guilty because she knew she should be grateful, lucky to get anything, etc etc). I should add that she smiled and thanked everyone very pleasantly.

Unfortunately, I had made it worse, because the one thing she really wanted was a selfie stick, and I didn't realise they were so popular.

Now. Is there something this year which 'everyone' will be having?

I have got plenty for DD, and most of it was on her list (which was long, but all modest things - makeup, slipper socks, etc). But I could add or substitute if there 's an essential.

Budget - I could go up to £30 if necessary.

or tell me that it will be fine!!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 18-Dec-15 18:38:53

My DD is 13.6 so a bit younger than your DD.

I don't know if there's a Must Have (I am completely out of touch fblush ) but things she's asked for:

straighteners (I'm still looking)
Pink (Victoria Secret younger range) knickers (very decent ones )
Real Technique Make-Up Brushes
Clothes (TopShop)

She's out at the moment but I'll ask her when she gets home.

(She has an iPhone and iPad already so that's not on her Wish List phew )

Pantone363 Fri 18-Dec-15 18:40:34

Victoria secret PJs seem to be on the wish list of 13/14 yr olds I know.

OddBoots Fri 18-Dec-15 18:43:47

I know this is probably not the normal way of doing things but at 14 I think I would just have a chat with her and ask exactly what you have said in the OP.

enderwoman Fri 18-Dec-15 18:45:13

I always get my teens a voucher so they can choose something that they must have but never mentioned.

bruffin Fri 18-Dec-15 18:51:17

pop vinyls

SauvignonBlanche Fri 18-Dec-15 18:55:50

DD has asked Victoria' Secret pyjamas but I've just seen the price - no way! fshock

Thunderblunder Fri 18-Dec-15 19:00:18

DD3 is 14 in April. All she wants is The Walking Dead and Supernatural stuff as well as some things for her room.

traviata Fri 18-Dec-15 19:34:52

Oddboots ,you're right, I could just ask her, and that might be the best thing to do.

BTW Sauvignon there is 25% off one item in Victoria's Secret today, but I didn't get that far - when I saw the shipping is nearly £9, I backed away.

Make-up brushes, straighteners, clothes - check. It should be OK. I think I'm just twitching and panicking.

I do have the big Soap and Glory set from Boots, which I put away thinking it could wait for birthday next year. I could add that to her pile if I'm still doubtful in the morning.

thanks everyone.

recklessgran Fri 18-Dec-15 19:37:16

I would like to bet that it will all be fine but fwiw [Speaking from experience - 5 DDs here] I would probably go with something from lush,benefit make up and an Amazon voucher. She sounds like a lovely girl so I wouldn't worry too much - I'm sure she will love whatever you get her but I would definitely put a voucher or even a £20 note in her stocking, that way she can buy herself anything that she feels is "missing".

SauvignonBlanche Fri 18-Dec-15 19:39:28

Oh yes, Lush products and Benefit makeup are popular here.

traviata Fri 18-Dec-15 19:44:54

Thanks reckless and Sauvignon. I will pop in a voucher, just in case.

franke Fri 18-Dec-15 19:51:43

I've bought dd a Lush voucher. As a stocking filler they seem to like the EOS lip balms.

TheDrsDocMartens Fri 18-Dec-15 19:58:58

I give mine a selection of vouchers , cinema ticket, Costa/greggs/Amazon vouchers
Only small amounts but the Costa/greggs ones go down really well.

PerspicaciaTick Fri 18-Dec-15 19:59:57

yy to EOS lip balms.
And, for some bizarre reason, Pocketbacs.

raspberryrippleicecream Fri 18-Dec-15 20:08:13

My DD is 15. Last year her best present was the Soap and Glory big box from Boots. It was a surprise last year, she has asked for it again this year if possible.

She isn't a Lush fan at all

traviata Fri 18-Dec-15 20:48:13

I had to google pocketbacs there. Kids do like some funny things.

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I do have enough. I just don't want to miss the one thing that is regarded as this year's must-have. DD did get cash for her birthday last month, so I think we're covered.

<<and I just went back to the present stash, took out the Benefit box that was tucked away for next year, and added it to the Christmas pile>>

U2HasTheEdge Fri 18-Dec-15 20:52:54

This year it is portable tiny speakers for iPad/ Pod/ Phones

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GXO1KA6?psc=1
And also speaker light jets. Again for phones etc... it's a speaker and it makes pretty colours.

www.amazon.co.uk/SoundSOUL-Fountain-Amplifier-Dancing-Speakers/dp/B00F2CWRLQ/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=513B8qVcpOL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=083BE2GM2N4B8C8H0N90

Lots of teens I know, including mine have requested these, but I don't know if it is the 'must have items' for all areas.

CakeNinja Fri 18-Dec-15 21:02:45

My teen dsis is into Cat Von Dee makeup, has cost a bloody arm and a leg but I've bought her a few sets.

Obviously not really applicable unless she follows her, from what I gather she's a female tattooist on some ink programme. You'd think I'd be grateful she doesn't have tattoos but the little minx has angry

traviata Fri 18-Dec-15 21:14:56

Phew U2 DD got some fountain speakers for her birthday from grandma.

Kat Von Dee sounds well cool. lovely website.

CakeNinja Fri 18-Dec-15 21:20:50

Ahh, and dsis thinks very misguidedly that I'm a well cool older sister even though I don't have tattoos!
My own dc are happy to play around with Claire's accessories makeup thank god, I wouldn't want to be shelling out on kat Von D for them too!!

CakeNinja Fri 18-Dec-15 21:22:01

I don't wear make up because I don't know how to, but if I did, I'd buy benefit because it comes in the prettiest packaging!

luckyrabbit Fri 18-Dec-15 21:50:05

I have bought

benefit and urban decay make up
zoella and lush toiletries
technique make up brushes

CasualJersey Sat 19-Dec-15 09:51:05

Just jumping on to say I love the sweet idea of popping a voucher or some cash in the stocking.
I know from childhood that if your one wish want there it cn be very sad (like your DD I appreciated everyone's generosity but wishes they would have asked for ideas or listened to them!)
The £20 or so would have made me feel really special.

Susiesue61 Sat 19-Dec-15 10:41:38

Dd is 14 and for her bits and pieces has soap and glory, benefit make up, slipper socks, CK knickers (they were on her list!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now