Talk

Advanced search

Minecraft .. please talk VERY slowly as I m easily confused !

(11 Posts)
BeaLola Thu 17-Dec-15 15:36:20

ok - pls bare with me. I vaguely have heard Mums in playground mention Minecraft but I have no real idea what it is. I thought friends kids played it on DS or Wii ???

Now DS received a belated gift from Aunt of £15 app voucher for his birthday & suddenly said "Yeah - I can get Minecraft - its fab" & walked away .....it does not appear on his Santa list & he has never mentioned before.

Now wise ones - is it worth having, will we love him using it or is it a Parents nightmare .

If any good where do we start ?

THANK YOU - tired Mum buying all presents for family incl my own whilst Grandparents , DH, DB, SIL just sit back - if left to them no one including 8 year old would get anything except money !

dementedpixie Thu 17-Dec-15 15:42:55

My 2 play it on the computer but you can get it on xbox, playstation and most recently the wii U. They say the pc version is the best

bishboschone Thu 17-Dec-15 15:43:35

It's just a game , a bit like virtual Lego .. Not big deal ... The kids love it .

AnyoneButSanta Thu 17-Dec-15 15:47:05

Yes he can buy it for a phone (or perhaps a tablet or a PC) with that voucher - it costs 15 quid. You play online but it's very child friendly. It is a bit of a parents' nightmare because it's addictive and complex to work out exactly what's going on, but it is also very creative and sociable.

ICanSeeForMiles Thu 17-Dec-15 15:51:25

My 2 play on the xbox and love it. I had a laugh yesterday, they can take cows or chickens or whatever and they can make baby cows or chickens. They have a kiss, little hearts float up in the air and a wee baby appears. Ds pipes up with 'but you have to put the mummy and daddy into love mode before they can make a wee baby'
How true son grin

Anyway, I don't really get it but it's quite creative and they build worlds and it seems to occupy them.

GummyBunting Thu 17-Dec-15 15:56:44

It's a bit like virtual lego. Kids have to collect/ mine materials to start creating things. It's very creative and expansive, you can create a whole world of stuff. That's why kids can spend so long on it.

If you want to see it in action, search 'Minecraft Let's Play' on youtube. Lots of people upload videos of their game play.

I think most kids play it on PC or xbox/ playstation.

ThisIsWhyImBroke Thu 17-Dec-15 16:03:19

Let him get it. DS has it on his iPad and I play it sometimes too even thought we have it on Xbox. Definitely worth it

AnyoneButSanta Thu 17-Dec-15 16:42:23

Mitch Benn has a song which makes it all clear.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=9AAz_JAYNh8

OvO Thu 17-Dec-15 18:18:52

That song is brilliant! fgrin.

It's all so true.

My boys play (8 and 11) and have for a couple of years. They never get bored of it. It's really good for their imaginations. I play sometimes too and love it.

As computer games go I'd say it's one of the best for kids and grownups.

AngelOnTop Thu 17-Dec-15 18:24:44

My DC just play it on a laptop, no game/app/console needed.

coolpatterngirl Thu 17-Dec-15 18:35:40

Yes, minecraft pocket edition (pe) is available on iTunes. It's pretty harmless and my boys enjoy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now