Am I being really thick or does Amazon no longer show you the postage cost of each individual item ordered?

(23 Posts)
SearedChestnut Thu 17-Dec-15 14:06:43

Hi, can anyone help pls?

I have an order of items adding up to £ 84.04 in my shopping basket
But the Postage & Packing: is showing as £ 117.81

so I am obviously not going to complete the order!

I am ordering from mainland Europe, not the UK, and the items are coming from three different sources (Amazon EU, and three other independent retailers)

I have opted for standard delivery (none of the items are for Christmas) and for them to be delivered in as few deliveries as possible.

Now I am sure that when I made orders in the past, the postage costs for each item were clearly shown.

Now they cannot be seen anywhere (as far as I can work it out anyway!)

Is this correct?

I'm not going to order any of the items now because I can't work out why the delivery costs are so extortionate!

fruitlovingmonkey Thu 17-Dec-15 14:10:31

When you go through to the next page it should be broken down into separate deliveries with the postage costs next to each one.

SearedChestnut Thu 17-Dec-15 14:15:55

Thanks Fruitlovingmonkey I thought that but I am already on the 'confirm' your order page! (ie the last page of transaction)

(The one that says "By placing your order, you agree to Amazon.co.uk's Privacy Notice, Conditions of Use & Sale and Cookies & Internet Advertising.")

Normally it says 'you have opportunity to review this order' on previous pages but not on this one if that makes sense.

unimaginativename13 Thu 17-Dec-15 14:17:15

No they are sneaky. It doesn't do it. You just click the delivery option then pay!

SearedChestnut Thu 17-Dec-15 14:18:36

It's outrageous!

CakeNinja Thu 17-Dec-15 14:37:07

No, it's intentionally misleading.
The information is there, it's just very well hidden.

MissBattleaxe Thu 17-Dec-15 14:39:11

You're not going mad. I have deleted so many items from my basket because it has hiked up the price in a sneaky last minute move. It's not transparent, and it should be. In fact it used to be very clear about P&P until a few weeks ago I'm sure.

CakeNinja Thu 17-Dec-15 14:45:08

It's been like that for a while I think?
The final page where you can make ammendments has a little box above each of the grouped orders and it says 'standard delivery' - you can click it and it gives you the option to change to 'free super saver delivery' (or similar).
Obviously it's only applicable to eligible items but the default is standard which you pay for.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Thu 17-Dec-15 14:52:43

I hardly ever order from Amazon now as their delivery charges are so stealthy. I check the site for reviews and then go elsewhere.

You need to untick group my deliveries- that's what upped the price.

And tick send my deliveries as they become available

ProfYaffle Thu 17-Dec-15 14:58:45

I'm the same whoknew, it's such a pita checking every tiny bit of small print.

fruitlovingmonkey Thu 17-Dec-15 15:47:28

Oh right, SearedChestnut, that is crazy. I did an order a few weeks ago and it was there on that page. I also live in Europe so can't get free delivery. I guess you will have to use trial and error, saving items for later until the postage costs go down.

GlowWine Thu 17-Dec-15 15:55:51

It's your independent orders that have bumped it up, they all have their own postages, plus you're paying one Amazon postage for the Amazon item. But bunching it like that is really sneaky. Normally the postage is shown on the original product listing, top right hand corner (like £10 + £5.99 postage) I think?

MissBattleaxe Thu 17-Dec-15 15:56:45

I think its because they are pushing Amazon Prime now so they are confusing people and not doing free super saver over £15 delivery anymore.

Eventually when people are sick of seeing their bill mysteriously increase by about £15 when they reach the payment screen, they will succumb to the nice friendly Amazon Prime ads.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Thu 17-Dec-15 16:44:29

Or order elsewhere lol

SearedChestnut Thu 17-Dec-15 17:43:09

Gosh! So many replies while I was out! Thanks very much everyone!

Yes "stealthy" is a good way of describing it!

YY about them pushing Prime and also agree that it is probably the postage for the items sent from independent shops that is pushing up the delivery costs.

Good to know I am not completely barking though grin

I guess one way of overcoming this is by putting all the items in my shopping list back in to "wish list" and then put them back in shopping basket one by one (as if to checkout). I wonder if that would work? No time to try atm!

Don't think I did opt for 'despatch items when they become available' because that is even more expensive! The choice is "Group my items into as few deliveries as possible" or "I want my items faster. Dispatch items as they become available. (at additional cost)"

Anyway, agree with everyone that it would be helpful if they would be a lot more transparent about postage costs.

Also, it is so difficult to contact Amazon (only poss through an unwieldly set of on-line forms that take ages to negotiate) that I don't have the energy to flag it up/ battle it out with them atm! It's not like you can just ring them up and speak to a rl person!

dementedpixie Thu 17-Dec-15 17:46:49

Do they not have an online chat service?

dementedpixie Thu 17-Dec-15 17:48:48

Also on the contact us pages, you can put in your telephone number and they call you back

TrashPanda Thu 17-Dec-15 17:56:05

I had this with Amazon the other day and it wouldn't let me use gift card balance. Did live chat and was told it was to do with having Amazon and marketplace stuff in the same order so to split them up into 2 orders.

The live chat person was really helpful and added a month to my prime for inconvenience. Best service I've had recently surprisingly don't even mention Vodafone

SearedChestnut Thu 17-Dec-15 18:06:53

Oh sorry! Thanks, will look for online chat thingy!

CakeNinja Thu 17-Dec-15 18:10:37

I had a phone call with someone really helpful when I put an order through on the wrong card, they were so helpful and called me back within 5 minutes of requesting a call and it was sorted within a 5 minute phone call.

SearedChestnut Thu 17-Dec-15 18:15:52

Nope, I could be looking in the wrong place, but I don't think we have access to the live chat facility abroad but will investigate further. Perhaps it's just a UK thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now