Talk

Advanced search

Made a serious wrapping error

(44 Posts)
MincePiesTasteBetterHot Thu 17-Dec-15 11:14:32

Just wrapped up all the stocking presents for DC.

I had bought a special roll of wrapping paper for the purpose, different to all my other paper, from a shop in a town some distance away so that DC would not be likely to see the paper for sale beforehand.

Wrapped everything up and used up all the paper exactly, so was feeling v pleased with myself, but have now realised that DC1 has one more gift still to arrive in the post, and there is no paper left fsad

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Now either I have to :
(a)make a special trip back to the same shop in the hope that they have another roll of the wrapping paper (unlikely, it was the only one there when I bought it)
(b) Go to another shop DC are unlikely to go to before Christmas, buy another roll of different wrapping paper, unwrap all DC1's gifts and rewrap them in new paper, and hide/destroy discarded wrapping paper so that nobody sees it before Christmas (because it is still being used to wrap DC2's gifts)
(c)wrap one of DC1's gifts in non-matching paper

Sigh. DH will say I should go for option c, but DC1 will absolutely notice, and question it.

dementedpixie Thu 17-Dec-15 11:17:59

Can you not make it not a stocking present and put it with the other non stocking presents

mupperoon Thu 17-Dec-15 11:20:20

I'm in awe of your eagle-eyed yet credulous DC!

YouGottaKeepEmSeparated Thu 17-Dec-15 11:21:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlewoollypervert Thu 17-Dec-15 11:22:06

Get some plain paper in one of the colours in the original wrapping paper.
Wrap that gift (and maybe change the wrapping on one or two others) in the plain paper.

If you want to make it look really fancy, get a few stick on bows in that colour, and stick them on the other presents.

Also pick another colour from the original wrapping paper, get a few bows in that colour, and stick them on the plainly wrapped presents.

Yarpyarp Thu 17-Dec-15 11:22:39

Just use different paper and say Santa ran out of the other paper OR if the paper is a problem, can it go in a Christmas gift bag?

LyndaNotLinda Thu 17-Dec-15 11:27:47

Can't you make the remaining present not-a-stocking one?

WoodleyPixie Thu 17-Dec-15 11:39:33

my dc know that santa shop in sainsburys/asda/waitrose/whsmith etc. wink

Helenluvsrob Thu 17-Dec-15 11:44:15

I do this , but my tip is to get the santa paper from the market. Its cheap and varied designs but not the same as " decent " wrapping paper at all. a single different pressie wouldn't stand out

I'd vote for making it a non santa pressie. don't re wrap everything. THats madness!

JustAnotherYellowBelly Thu 17-Dec-15 11:46:23

Is there any way you can scan in the paper off another present and print it?
Only really works if it's a little present though

recklessgran Thu 17-Dec-15 11:47:40

Wrap it in tissue paper and if she even notices tell her it's special. Unwrap one of DC2's presents and wrap that in tissue too so they've both got the same. To be honest I don't know why you're even worrying- I'm sure the DC won't even notice in all the excitement of the day.

KanyeWesticle Thu 17-Dec-15 11:48:53

Rewrap 2 or 3 for each DC in a different wrapping paper (or tissue paper etc).

CarriesBucketOfBlood Thu 17-Dec-15 11:50:00

Wrap it in plain paper with a matching colour scheme bow. Say Santa picked it out as the 'leading' present, eg all other presents should only be opened after he had opened that one.

TheOddity Thu 17-Dec-15 11:52:22

I have fucked up too. Ran out of DH special stocking paper so used a bit from DS' special Santa stocking paper. Except I told DS Santa delivers the presents only to the children, not adults. So how did mummy get hold of that paper? I was going to leave it but think I will have to rewrap just on the off chance he questions. sigh

In your situation why not just give it as a Christmas Eve gift or something...

NeedsAsockamnesty Thu 17-Dec-15 12:04:14

Op chill out. Serious wrapping errors are things like

Got pissed on Christmas eve and great aunt Mabel ended up with a play station and darling DS Fred got socks.

Or my neighbours were being noisy so I beat them to death with a roll of john Lewis's finest

A sex game went wrong now my husbands penis is turning purple and my cervix is taped shut.

Or I have a gift bag and a holographic star stuck up my arse.

Have a cup of tea and stop fretting

MsButteryMash Thu 17-Dec-15 12:05:06

Wrap in different paper and write "from Rudolph" (Rudolph uses different paper) grin

TheHouseOnTheLane Thu 17-Dec-15 12:06:17

See...I've told my DC that I have to buy all the wrapping paper and I leave it out for Father Christmas. He comes, drops off the gifts, leaves a few elves behind who do the wrapping...then they run to the next house and carry on.

Yes...far fetched but saves this kind of faff!

nilbyname Thu 17-Dec-15 12:08:03

needsasock rofl!

SearedChestnut Thu 17-Dec-15 12:08:05

Crikey! I admire your conscientiousness op! I am no where near at that level of organisation!

Do not, whatever you do, re-wrap majority of presents or make a return trip to shop! Life is too short! Save your energy!

Find another roll of wrapping paper, or tissue paper from somewhere and use that to wrap up present that has yet to arrive. (And if you are really feeling unhappy about having one present that doesn't "match" then just re-do one or two).

But tbh, I don't wrap all "stocking" presents - some just things go in just as they are - along with the lychees and walnuts and satsumas etc - just the odd one gets wrapped. Possibly a bit old-fashioned, but that was the way I always received my stocking as a child anyway.

And if they are wrapped, I tend to use these sorts of paper bags - see second row down or some similar to these makes the stocking wrapping go a lot quicker!

Speaking of which, I had better go and actually do some myself, rather than just posting about it!!

SearedChestnut Thu 17-Dec-15 12:08:27

Brilliant idea about Rudolph! grin

SearedChestnut Thu 17-Dec-15 12:09:53

Yes, I've left "wrapping paper out for Fr Christmas" in the past too ...!!

haggisaggis Thu 17-Dec-15 12:10:54

Does it need to be wrapped? I used to put a couple of presents in the stocking unwrapped - dc never questioned it.

MincePiesTasteBetterHot Thu 17-Dec-15 12:13:39

I actually love the Rudolph idea, brilliant! I am going to go with that, thank you.
Will rewrap one of DC2's from Rudolph too, so they both have the same.

NeedsASock grin you are right, those are far more serious!

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Thu 17-Dec-15 12:16:29

My 3yo noticed last year that we had presents in the same paper as their FC presents. Won't be making hat mistake again!

MsButteryMash Thu 17-Dec-15 12:16:50

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now