Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good telescope?

(6 Posts)
NotdeadyetBOING Thu 17-Dec-15 09:51:05

Want to get one for my astronomy-obsessed DS. He knows his stuff so don't want to get a kiddie one. But looked on Amazon and there are loads and none of the descriptions mean a thing to me. Can anyone advise????? Getting slightly urgent, obviously bad mother klaxon

senua Thu 17-Dec-15 09:55:42

I like this one.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzsMiCBzciY

<not helpful>

senua Thu 17-Dec-15 10:01:39

blush

Is this link more useful. BBC

NotdeadyetBOING Thu 17-Dec-15 10:16:59

That is really helpful, Senua. Many thanks!

senua Thu 17-Dec-15 10:18:58

Another link but I must admit that I dozed off half way through. e-bay

Happy hunting.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 17-Dec-15 13:57:40

I stupidly asked for a telescope on a whim for last Christmas and DP went off to a telescope shop(!) to seek advice and bought me this one, which is apparently a good example of a good beginner telescope.

You don't say how old your DS is, but one thing to note is that it is massive. I thought a telescope was something the size of a couple of pringles tubes, but this is more like the size of a medium sized dog - it comes in an enormous box, so do you have somewhere to store it?

The weights on the tripod are very heavy and I could not move it by myself.

I spent a lot of time out in the cold looking at the moon and I once managed to train it on jupiter and saw a fleeting glimpse of it's moons before they moved on.

After that I gave up and it sat in the corner of our living room until I sold it on ebay (there are lots of the same telescope second hand, hardly used - have a look you might be able to pick one up that is like new).

But this is probably a reflection of the number of people like me who have bought telescopes without not really knowing what they were doing.

Not wanting to sound negative, and maybe your DS is a lot more enthusiastic than I am, but something to consider smile.

I think the binoculours route might be a good one for me, and I intend to use the money I got for my telescope to get some.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now