Talk

Advanced search

Arrrgh Last Minute Present Angst

(6 Posts)
oobedobe Wed 16-Dec-15 14:25:00

So 7 yo DD1 had various items on her santa list back in November, the two big items were, furreal unicorn and the zoomer kitty.

Initially I was against the unicorn as it was $$$, but after playing with it in a shop I decided she would love it. So I waited for a bargain and got one for a good price on black friday.

But in the last couple of weeks she KEEPS mentioning the bloody zoomer kitty, and we saw santa at the mall last night and that is all she told him about.

I think it looks like a 'cool' toy but I can see her getting bored of it after a few days.

So do I take back the unicorn and get the zoomer kitty? But I have been SO excited about her opening the unicorn fsad

Buy the zoomer kitty as well? Was thinking maybe it could be a pet gift to the whole family from Santa? and then she has to share it with dd2

Or try to convince her that the unicorn is better and save my money??

WWYD? fconfused

Troika Wed 16-Dec-15 14:40:22

Would she accept the teksta newborn kitty instead? It's under £20 if you could stretch to getting that as well as the unicorn? Otherwise I'd just stick to the unicorn, I'm sure she'll be delighted with it.

Mylittlelights Wed 16-Dec-15 14:42:22

I agree with Troika

SatsukiKusakabe Wed 16-Dec-15 16:17:46

I would feel the same as you, and worry about it a lot, but ultimately stick to what I'd chosen grin I can't see how she could fail to be delighted with the unicorn.

Can you manage her expectations slightly around the idea that she won't get everything she wants, elves are already making things etc?

Or spend the next week subtly conditioning her away from the kitty idea and towards what you have - e.g show her a picture of a unicorn and simultaneously feed her a chocolate wink

Last year my ds flip flopped between two things for the last couple of months before Christmas, we decided sensibly based on which we thought he would ultimately play with and get the most out of. Unfortunately, we then caved and panic-bought the other thing as well at the last minute.

Now dh and I only have to say the word Octopod, and any similar impulses are reined in. It conjures desperation, regret, forty quid down the drain and the dark recesses of our dingy garage. The item we bought originally is still played with daily and is much loved.

oobedobe Wed 16-Dec-15 18:08:43

Thank you so much for all your wise words! I know I just have to stay strong and have faith in what I have already bought. I think the subtle brainwashing might be the way to go Satsuki - maybe I should go up when she is sleeping and whisper "unicorn good, kitty bad" fgrin

Don't think the new born Tetska will work Troika last year she wanted a robot dog (are we seeing a theme here?), we got her the furreal cookie dog AND a Zoomer total crap Zuppie (major twitch situation). So it definitely needs to be a bigger robot that moves around.

MUST STAY STRONG santa

nickelbabe Wed 16-Dec-15 18:11:27

I personally would stick with the unicorn.

She will love it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now