Talk

Advanced search

Christmas bonus for cleaner

(38 Posts)
nightandthelight Wed 16-Dec-15 08:16:37

Hello, this will be our first Christmas with a cleaner. I understand that a bonus is normal but is there a formula for working it out e.g. a proportion of normal wages?

Will also get her something small (box of chocolates type thing) to unwrap and of course a card.

TIA smile

TheoriginalLEM Wed 16-Dec-15 08:20:37

a weeks wages? (assuming she isn't full time?) i clean but for a business - i get £50 plus chocolates , cheese and wine. That however, is what everyone gets and i wouldn't expect that for house cleaning.

So an extra £20 and a box of chocolates would be much appreciated id say.

Helmetbymidnight Wed 16-Dec-15 08:22:17

I pay whatever I normally pay in a card.

nightandthelight Wed 16-Dec-15 08:22:54

Thanks original smile She comes once a fortnight so £20 would be about right for a week's wage.

Helmetbymidnight Wed 16-Dec-15 08:23:02

In addition to the work-pay I mean!

nightandthelight Wed 16-Dec-15 08:23:22

So a week's wage helmet?

Helmetbymidnight Wed 16-Dec-15 08:25:07

Yes, but it's a three hour wage and she's been with us a while...

Thankfulforeveryday Wed 16-Dec-15 08:30:25

I double her pay and a little present. (Posh hand cream)

GlitteryShoes Wed 16-Dec-15 08:48:12

My cleaner normally gets £40. I give her £100 and a week off ( so a weeks wages without working and an extra £20)
She is brilliant though!

UnDeuxTroisCatsSank Wed 16-Dec-15 09:06:30

I give a month's wages.
It's what I get from my employees so I figure it makes sense.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 16-Dec-15 09:08:25

undeux - can i come and work for you?

florentina1 Wed 16-Dec-15 09:19:45

I give her the day off in Christmas week and 3 weeks wages. So she gets £90. We pay her £30 for 3 hours. She is a young and and a very good cleaner. Never late, never misses a day.

SquadGoals Wed 16-Dec-15 10:40:44

We are going to give her an extra third. She normally gets approx. £66 a month for coming 2 mornings a week. We will give her approx. £88.

We've already given her some Christmas presents for her kids and a mini food hamper for her. She's also got 2 weeks off over Christmas/New Year.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 16-Dec-15 11:21:49

That works out £8.25 a morning? does she only do an hour a day? confused

SquadGoals Wed 16-Dec-15 11:23:54

We don't live in the UK.

nightandthelight Wed 16-Dec-15 11:26:01

We pay £42 a fortnight which is 2.5 hours I think. It is all arranged through an agency and sadly I have never met her. I just come home and the house is lovely and clean. She comes every other Thursday.

nightandthelight Wed 16-Dec-15 11:27:05

Ah original was your post not directed at me?

Queenbean Wed 16-Dec-15 11:28:42

My cleaner comes ever other Thursday and is great, but she's only cleaned for us 3 times so I think that this year's won't be so generous as next

We pay her £24 for 2 hours work every other week so I think we will give her an extra £20 and a box of chocolates. I have never even met her or know her name!

nightandthelight Wed 16-Dec-15 11:31:16

Same Queen it's quite awkward when you have never met them. I don't know if she has family even! Will be on mat leave next year though so should get to know her when she comes then and I will be able to get a more personal gift then next year smile

RueDeWakening Wed 16-Dec-15 11:36:22

I was wondering the exact same thing. First time I've had a cleaner to give a bonus too!

We pay £20/fortnight for a 2 hour clean. Except, she rarely turns up at the time she's booked for - yesterday she was 1hr 40 early, fine as I was home with DS2 (just). Last time she was 2 hours early and waiting by the door when I got in, so may have been earlier. She's good, but not stellar like the lady who did a one off for me in the summer. I think I'm overthinking things a bit!

nightandthelight Wed 16-Dec-15 11:42:01

That is annoying Rue! Did you say anything to her at the time? Does she do a good job of the cleaning? I'm just planning to go with the week's wage and a small present smile

TheoriginalLEM Wed 16-Dec-15 11:46:54

no, it wasn't directed at you night smile

Rue - i think you just need to be specific, many cleaners might come say, on thursday - but that could be any time before you get home and fit around their day. If she is used to this arrangement she might not realise you need to be time specific. Or give her a key if you trust her?

RueDeWakening Wed 16-Dec-15 11:47:39

Well, I tried - English isn't her first language and I'm never quite sure how well she's understood me. She says she'll be here at 2pm next week, I guess only time will tell! Will do her a card with an extra £20 in it though smile

Pinkvici22 Wed 16-Dec-15 22:39:47

I'm so grateful you've posted this OP...I embarrassingly didn't know this was the "done thing"! I got her a nice candle and a fancy hand cream set, but now thinking she should get a bonus too. Last year she'd only been with us 2 months (and I just got her a gift then), but she really is invaluable!

penguinsarecool Wed 16-Dec-15 22:42:51

I think a weeks wages is a generous bonus and in proportion. Good on you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now