Talk

Advanced search

A Vegan's Christmas

(15 Posts)
Breadandwine Wed 16-Dec-15 00:31:07

Hi fellow vegans!

This post details what I might be having for Christmas dinner, plus vegan Xmas treats and goodies I've come across - so I can really enjoy myself over the festive period.

Hope it's useful to some of you - but also, I'd very much like to hear what other vegans are having for Christmas dinner, and what Christmas goodies you've come across.

Tate15 Wed 16-Dec-15 05:46:18

Marking spot as our Christmas dinner will be vegan

vEGANvERA Wed 16-Dec-15 05:51:34

Going to try out 2 nigella recipies from tv other night. The coleslaw and the potato/pepper thing. Did a dry run other weekend. Usual veg with sweet pot wedges. Nut roast and m+s onion gravy.

vEGANvERA Wed 16-Dec-15 05:52:25

Deliciously ella blog has great ideas. The brussel / pomegrante recipie is lovely

PresidentUnderwood Wed 16-Dec-15 07:00:32

"vegan treats" unhelpfully sniggers fgrin

Iggi999 Wed 16-Dec-15 07:03:04

I have made some very lovely brownies that use veg oil, nicer than the "normal" ones.
Will be following your post rather than contributing anything, first Christmas have had a vegan to cater for (rest of us all veg though so it's not a massive leap).

Iggi999 Wed 16-Dec-15 07:04:02

President, that's you on the naughty list fangry <-- cross santa

HelpfulChap Wed 16-Dec-15 07:05:05

My DD will. No idea what she is making though.

She does rustle up an excellent vegan chilli and chocolate brownies though - not really Christmassy though!

margaritasbythesea Wed 16-Dec-15 07:07:03

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 16-Dec-15 07:13:51

Yum! We have a spicy tomato sauce as well as gravy with our nut roast but we make it with tomato purée and peanut butter. It's sort of Indonesia inspired, by way of some Dutch friends so not very authentic but it's delicious with nut roast.

Destinysdaughter Wed 16-Dec-15 07:17:23

Hi read your blogpost, the 'rich spicy tomato sauce' sounds lovely! Any chance of the recipe? fsmile

Breadandwine Wed 16-Dec-15 15:48:57

Like the idea of the sweet potato wedges, Vera - and I'm going to try adding peanut butter to my spicy tomato sauce this Sunday, Obsi! fgrin

I don't really have a 'recipe' as such, Destiny - I tend to wing it, mostly.

My goto sauce to go with my Sunday roast is:
Veggie water
1/2 tsp Bouillon powder
Few squirts of tomato puree
Dsp of curry paste (I use Fern's from my local HFS - Patak's can be a little bitter, I find)
Good teaspoon of Meridian pesto (best vegan pesto, IMO!)
Some dried herbs

2 minutes in the microwave - job done!

To jazz it up for Xmas, I'll use s-d-tomato paste instead of tomato puree, and probably add a little soy sauce, some Reggae Reggae sauce and mushroom ketchup - all in place of the Bouillon powder. fsmile

Breadandwine Thu 17-Dec-15 11:18:32

Made a pizza and a Xmas soda bread for an end of term do at lunchtime.

Pizza base had Oxo cube and smoked paprika in the dough - topped with tomato puree (made into a passata-like sauce) - flavoured and spiced up a little, then dredged with nooch. Some roasted peppers, mushrooms and s-d-tomatoes on top with oregano. This is so full of flavour, I doubt I'll ever use vegan cheese on a pizza again!

The soda bread was enriched with mincemeat as well as fruit, spice and sugar, cut into 12 segments, each with half a cherry on top. Looked rather nice, if I say so myself! fsmile

Breadandwine Thu 17-Dec-15 12:19:06

Here's the pizza.

Breadandwine Thu 17-Dec-15 12:35:01

And the soda bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now