Talk

Advanced search

Yoyo alternative for 3 year old

(10 Posts)
backinaminute Tue 15-Dec-15 18:58:01

Hi, I'm hoping for someone to help me find this elusive item.

Due to the joyous Peppa pig my (just) 3 year old only wants a YoYo for Christmas. I checked what he meant and he said a yoyo that 'goes up and down'. I'm happy to get him one but pretty sure he will be gutted on Christmas morning when he can't do it.

I'm looking for some sort of alternative toy that perhaps looks like a yoyo but bounces......... And could be passed off as a yoyo to someone that has never actually seen a yoyo except on bloody peppa pig Any ideas (and links) would be much appreciated. Thank you

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Tue 15-Dec-15 19:09:24

tbh i would probably buy the yoyo along with some other bits. you can pick them up in poundshop and other cheap places.

but alternatives - how about a ball in a cup (the wooden cups with a ball attached with string to them) a diablo, skipball. tiger is a fantastic place for those sort of things. ive bought all of those from there for under £3 each smile

backinaminute Tue 15-Dec-15 19:35:14

I probably will, just hoping there is some wonder gadget out there that I have missed. Thank you

attheendoftheday Tue 15-Dec-15 20:58:23

I bought my then 3 to a yoyo last year for exactly this reason! Her little sister also had to have a toy train.

I bought her a yoyo, she obviously couldn't yoyo it but her disappointment was mitigated by quickly suggesting we open another present. The yoyo was then employed as a small cart to drag around beanie babies.

Bloody Peppa Pig!

HerdOfRhino Tue 15-Dec-15 21:15:13

Possibly a silly suggestion, but a www.hawkin.com/light-up-kinetic-wheel. Tiger sells them for £3.

Also The Works sell wooden Yoyos for 2 for a pound.

SitsOnFence Tue 15-Dec-15 23:48:48

I was going to suggest a kinetic wheel; same sort of up/down/spinning action but very easy for a young child to pick up.

Cressandra Wed 16-Dec-15 00:02:31

Kinetic wheel too. I never knew what they were called until now. DS got one last year and it's the sort of thing everyone picks up and has a play on, adults and children alike. I bought it because I had fond memories of playing with one as a child.

Also you can get small balls, a bit smaller than a tennis ball, on elastic attached to a velcro wrist strap. Too hard for my kids to catch at 3 but at least it's soft and less likely to break stuff or bash toes. They were everywhere when we were on hols this summer. Not to be confused with those bat and ball things which never last more than 5 mins here. Here's a link to the kind of thing but it's ridiculously overpriced, they're pocket money toys.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000H6CGO0?keywords=ball%20wrist%20strap&qid=1450224036&ref_=sr_1_2&s=kids&sr=1-2

Misty9 Wed 16-Dec-15 00:26:58

Retractable tape measure?! My 4yo has been obsessed with ours for yonks. I'm getting one for his Stocking this year smile

GinIsCalling Wed 16-Dec-15 05:10:45

My four year old has asked for a yoyo, coal and a 'big pile of junk'. The junk is cardboard tubes etc he can build with, the coal is to have a fire in the garden (we have a fire pit but normally burn wood!) and so the yoyo is the sensible gift. He actually uses them in all sorts of imaginitive play, but can't make them go up and down.

Out2pasture Wed 16-Dec-15 05:55:03

not having any luck with cut and paste sorry
do look up the magnetic gyro wheel, that should be manageable for a 3 year old and give him a similar effect to a yoyo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now