Talk

Advanced search

first stocking???

(15 Posts)
tuilamum Mon 14-Dec-15 20:14:48

Should I make a stocking for DD who's only going to be 5 months and if so what the hell do I put in it?

Freezingwinter Mon 14-Dec-15 20:17:43

You could make one, I'd be super impressed if you did!! Matalan have nice ones if you are feeling less crafty, teething toys, socks, hats, vests, tiny rattle, toys with bells on from elc?

GlitteryFluff Mon 14-Dec-15 20:17:46

Do it if you want, or don't if you don't want to. They won't know at this age! wink
Bubbles, socks, new rattle, dummies, spoons, beaker, bibs for weaning, stacking cups, that's not my books, pjs.

ToBeAChadsman Mon 14-Dec-15 20:18:17

Not sure I'd bother if she's your first but we'll have to for our 4mo DD or 3yo DS will wonder why Santa missed her out! Thinking of things like a new teether, or another crinkly book, but would welcome any other cheap ideas too smile

LovelyWeatherForDucks Mon 14-Dec-15 20:35:50

5 month old DS (DS2) is getting a tommee tippee cup, some plastic toy keys, a little brio type train with his initial on (same as older DS), a jellycat penguin, a happyland figure, a book, two bibs.

stubbornstains Mon 14-Dec-15 20:41:55

Oops, I just remembered that my mum proudly presented me with a beautiful stocking she'd made for 6 month old DS a few weeks ago blush. I'd better put some things in it now....I was just going to get some things he needed (teddy bear snow suit, those foam jigsaw things to put on the floor, more bibs and vests etc, he already has way too many toys), and wrap them up in cut up space blankets, maybe in some big boxes too smile. I'll have to fill the stocking with the small things.

Heavenscent86 Mon 14-Dec-15 21:29:21

What's a space blanket? I'd definitely do a stocking if it's your second. I did one for my 8 month old daughter even though she was my first. It was 9 years ago though and I have no clue what I put in it. Still got the stocking though as it was a nice one that said baby's first Christmas on it.

stubbornstains Mon 14-Dec-15 22:22:48

You know those crinkly silver blankets that they put round runners at the end of the Marathon? Those! Babies love scrunching them smile.

fakenamefornow Mon 14-Dec-15 22:31:43

Top tip (and something I wish I'd done) don't put the stocking at the end of the bed/cot, put it in the living room by the fireplace if you have one. Mine are all older and I'm fed up waiting until midnight for them to fall asleep so I can creep into their room to fill a stocking. Another top tip, fc only fills stockings, all other presents come from you/others. Makes it all a lot easier to explain.

A friend of mine proudly told me once that she was spending £200 on Christmas presents for her six month old shock Waste of money if you ask me.

tuilamum Tue 15-Dec-15 07:43:21

She's my first so no need to worry about confused siblings grin I already have a beautiful stocking given to us by a neighbour, I just wasn't sure if making a stocking for a baby who knows nothing of Christmas was completely mental, glad its not fgrin
I will see if I can find some little toys and stuff for it she'll probably prefer them to the big thing we've bought her

tuilamum Tue 15-Dec-15 07:49:04

fakename my mum used to put them outside our bedroom doors because she knew at least one of us would wake up...
I've already said to DP that stockings are from Santa and then everyone else's presents are from them. There was a thread on here that said it meant kids didn't feel discriminated against by Santa but I also think it saves the "mummy and daddy got me {insert big present here}" and another kid thinking "well Santa got me a big present but clearly mum and dad don't give a shit!" fgrin

LittleReindeerwithcloggson Tue 15-Dec-15 09:26:54

Do a stocking but don't wrap it all.
I stressfully wrapped everything for my DDs sticking only to realise that she wasn't old enough to unwrap it so I had to do that myself!
She will be able to pull things out at that age which will be simpler and fun

LittleReindeerwithcloggson Tue 15-Dec-15 09:28:24

Doing a stocking for your child for the first time is a wonderful feeling so enjoy it.
I even put a carrot and mince pie out - DH humoured me!

Oldraver Tue 15-Dec-15 10:13:28

I got DS a lovely My First Christmas stocking form the Disney Store, though loads of shops do nice ones now. He still puts it out and he is now nearly 10. It has a space for a picture as well.

Disney Store has really gone down in nice Chritsmas things though

tuilamum Tue 15-Dec-15 11:21:09

This is the stocking we have for her, it will get used next year too
LittleReindeer I totally get your point re wrapping but she loves tearing paper so much, and the sound when I tear it so I think that might be her Christmas highlight grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now